Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

any suggestions or comments about Cingular in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by kindaichi, Jul 4, 2002.

1. kindaichi

kindaichi New Member

Greetings

I am considering Cingular for my next phone since AT&T doesn't want my business.
    I used PacBell GSM before, around 1999 to mid 2000. Has the service improved?
    Usually I can't get any reception after 30th street (Nokia 8890).
    I live in the outter Mission district near between 30th St and Silver Ave.

Please, I am seeking any suggestions or comments about their service.

Thanks very much.

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's not so good, Cingular has a poor rating for that area on Epinions.com and I happen to have a friend in San Fransisco who has Cingular Wireless and he isn't too happy with there service.

3. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Here's a recent post from epinions.com -- which basically is similar to so many stories about Cingular in that region -- but it'll be interesting too to see how Voicestream will perform in that region.

AVOID Cingular if possible - not worth the headache
    by peninsulaboy | Jul 03 '02 (Updated Jul 04 '02)

Pros: Nice phones, good packages
    Cons: Terrible coverage, awful customer service
    The Bottom Line: AVOID AVOID AVOID. Terrible network. Even worse customer service. Not worth the trouble of having the cool Cingular phones. NOT RECOMMENDED.
    Recommended: No

I have been with Cingular since September 2001. The experience has been nothing but a hassle, headache, and inadequate.

For the past 3 days, my Cingular phone has been unable to receive calls. People who try to reach me get the recorded message stating "System busy, try again later" or even worse, "The number you have reached is no longer available." The calls do not go to voicemail, are simply lost. As a Cingular customer, I didn’t even realize I was missing calls until I received frantic emails from my clients and friends telling me my mobile phone number was not working. UNACCEPTABLE.

Customer service is even worse. The people there are not helpful, and are even rude when you press for answers. One person in particular, the supervisor, spoke to me in a condescending tone like I was twelve years old. She clearly doesn't realize that I have paid over $800 for Cingular service! Or worse yet, maybe she does, and still doesn't care. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

On the plus side, Cingular does offer the best phones. Small and light. My Nokia 8890 was the best. Their plans are also pretty cheap and include nights and weekends, long distance, and roaming. Coverage, as stated above, is not so good. I used to have AT&T Wireless, which was MUCH better.

To summarize, I would avoid Cingular at all costs. Don't fall for their flashy advertising. You do not get what you expect (networks that allow you to make and receive calls, for one), and when you experience problems, customer service will be unhelpful (and even rude!).

4. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

Service is improving,

but it's not really there yet.

If you are looking for a new phone and you think Cingular would be ok for you you may also consider waiting for Voicestream (another two weeks). From what I read in other forums they will have kick-___ rate plans and they share their network with Cingular.

Cheers C.

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    So now that Cingular's Bay Area reputation has been established, lets get back to your need. What do you mean ATT doesn't want your business?

Verizon & Nextel are possible alternatives. Opps, I just notice that you've had Verizon in the past (or maybe even currently/concurrently).

6. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

Hey Kenny..Just FYI, Cingular officially has bought AT&T (hasn't been released publically yet) and all those customers down in California that got AT&T because they didn't want Cingular, will be coverting to Cingular by christmas this year! On the positive side for those same people. Since Cingular will have all of AT&T's towers, Cingular service, not just in California but all over the country, will improve imensely. Also, we will have the GAIT phones too. So don't count Cingular out just yet.
    However, you're right that for now Cingular isn't great in Cal.

7. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And you got this info where? ^^

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Who cares if they bought them or not? They are both striving for the same goal, and that goal is to have Nationwide GSM coverage, which neither of the two or even close to having.

Just wait a couple of weeks and get Voicestream Wireless (T-Mobile). The network has been hugely optimized to support the two providers, Cingular & Voicestream, and Voicestream has contributed some of their own spectrum that they already owned for their own network.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

"Cingular officially has bought AT&T (hasn't been released publicly yet)"

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever read. Public companies just don't buy other public companies in complete secret, especially in a case like this where the deal would be valued in the billions and would provoke political scrutiny. Maybe dakman33 was joking or confused the predictions that some of the major providers would merge as fact.

10. kindaichi

kindaichi New Member

I cancled my service with AT&T about 2 weeks ago.
    I tried activating for new service the rep told me I'll have to wait 6 months before they can activate service for me.

Regarding the Voicestream event. Is it the 07/15 event?

Thanks very much for your input!

11. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Guys I think he is Kidding and trying to funny in his post, at least I took it that way so chill out a little bit.

12. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I have heard the same date, July 15th 2002, from many sources, many forums, many knowledgeable people. That is also when the additional spectrum and capacity will be turned on, and not before then.

13. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I know darkman was not stating fact. I have sources within SBC and that claim is hogwash.

14. spyder22

spyder22 Junior Member

if you all believe that then I have some swamp land in florida to sell you. yes both companies have been talking about a merger...but nothing in stone yet. i would almost say that the FCC and supreme court would not allow it due to the anti-trust laws. if all of the mergers keep happening then why did the courts break up ATT (Papa BELL) years ago. ATT and CIngular are in joint venture to roll out and share GSM/GPRS cell sites through out the midwest and west.[​IMG]

15. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T/Cingular merge? Very unlikely....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...