Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Any Nokia with a stand-alone mp3 player?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by stonefree, May 17, 2006.

1. stonefree

stonefree New Member

I'm wondering if any of the new N series phones come with a stand-alone mp3 player. I know the SE w800i/k790/800i phones come with the support for stand-alone mp3 players... so I could actually use the phone for music on a flight, without activating the RF module of the phone and hence avoiding the possibility of interference caused to the plane's communication.... besides it also helps save a whole load of battery.

2. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Don't know about the N-series (too expensive for me :D ) but the Nokia 6126 which is "expected soon" in the US has an MP3/MP4 player and "Flight Mode: switch off the transmitter and use other functions on commercial flights" according to the Nokia site.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6126/0,7747,feat:1,00.html

My question is how do you convince the flight attendant of this? If it looks like a phone, it must be a phone, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stonefree

stonefree New Member

well... if it's tucked inside a pocket, I wonder they'd care to check. In any case, of course you could explain it out to them.

About the "flight mode"... well I've seen it on a few phones. But essentially, it still is half a problem, coz you'd have to turn the phone ON (activating the RF module and beacon/preamble correlation algorithms) and THEN switch to the flight mode, turning the transceiver off. So there still IS a period of time during which the RF module is up.

From what I understand about the SE phones, they have the feature of being powered on in the mp3-player-alone mode... transceiver stays dead. So you never really need to turn the phone and THEN turn the RF off. This is an excellent feature...

Anyone knows if it's gonna be part of N73/N93?

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I believe Nokia's quad band 6270 has a flight mode. It is available now.

5. stonefree

stonefree New Member

The 6270 can't be powered on in the "flight mode"... or can it?

quite frankly... I'm particularly interested in scoops on the N73 for the 3.2 MP camera. If someone could confirm whether, like the SE phones (I think it's just the w800i and the w810i... not k750i, quite probable on the k790i and the k800i though) there is ANY Nokia that can actually be powered-on in the media-player mode?

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am also very interested in the N73, so far I have not been able to find anything that would indicate that it can be powered on only in media-player mode but then again there is little information out on it right now due to the imminent official launch of the N80 and the 6126. Hopefully more information will be available after that is over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    im not sure i understand alone mode is, but the 6682 has off line mode, is this what your talking about.:loony:

8. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Call me cynical but I don't believe that, in a post-9/11 world, anyone would be let on a plane with a cell phone if it really posed a danger. I fly several times a month on business and I've heard a lot of theories on why the cell phone ban is still in effect. None of them involve me crashing a 767 with my Nokia.

So the real issue is the rule itself. Sure, I could put the phone in my pocket, but what if I want to search for a song, fiddle with my song library, etc.? I don't think that a flight attendant is going to know or care about "flight mode" - they can't check if I am telling the truth. All they will know is - it's a phone, phones are supposed to be turned off. That's one reason I am interested in the Nokia 6282. A slider with an understated design, it doesn't look like a phone with the slider closed. From a few feet away it will look pretty similar to my PDA. :wink:

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It is interesting though how slack the rules can be depending on the cabin crew I presume. I recently flew to Pittsburg and back to Milwaukee. I had my QTEK 9100 and put it in the flight mode. I took a lot of pictures from the aircraft and played solitaire on it and nobody ever asked me what the device was, interestingly I was making the last phone call before start and as the instructions came on, the flight attendant specifically told me that I had to turn my phone off, so she definitely knew it was a phone.

The man sitting next to me played with his Blackberry all through the flight. The attendant told him once that he cannot have it on and he replied that he was not commnunicating outside and she left him alone.

10. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Charlyee - you are surely more "plugged-in" than I (wirelessly, of course!), but I have been looking for clues to the summer Nokia launch(es) in the US on this forum and elsewhere. Is the 6126 really imminent? My understanding is that the Cingular 6126 launch is maybe July, maybe not. And the 6282 that was supposed to be in launched in May is now probably delayed indefinitely. When is the N80 supposed to arrive? Just curious whether I have missed something.

Thanks!

11. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just more evidence that the rule has nothing to do with actual interference with the navigation system.

12. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    If there is any info on this, then it should definitely be in the User Manual. Obviously that can't be consulted right now since the N73's manual isn't available on any of Nokia's sites yet.

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    LOL Steve, I very much doubt I am more "plugged in" wirelessly or otherwise than you or anyone else on WA, but I will take that as a compliment ..so thank you.

Maybe the use of the "imminent" was incorrect, specially now that I see that E50 is to be marketed from the end of June, atleast in Europe and the 6126 in July.

As you probably know the N80 has been available for over a month, from independent dealers and the price has fallen from$1380 to $649. As of Wednesday the Nokiausa website finally listed the N80 as "coming soon", and the 6126 has been listed as "coming soon" for a while. Also rumor has it that the Nokia store opening up in Chicago on June 1 will be carrying both the 6126 and N80.

Now I want the E50 though and maybe not the N73. All of a sudden Nokia is coming out some real good options- I am not complaining :D

14. stonefree

stonefree New Member

well... essentially phone calls CAN be made on board before take off and after landing (consider substantial periods of time in the definitions for "before" and "after"). I've always done that... no issues till date.

Some cabin crew ask you to turn your phones off when the jet's being refuelled... you've read that stuff a million times... air being briefly and scantily contaminated with fuel... incoming call happening... tiny electro/mechanical phone parts moving... fire happening.. explosion happening. Can't really sit down to explain the reality of anything to anyone though... if you can't make the phone call.. you can't make the phone call. Of course, the cabin crew aren't really trained with the technical background, they're just told to tell people to turn their phones off.

And if it WERE a hinderance to flight, as you pointed out, they would BAN phones entirely like inflammables on board all flights.

And even if it were a 6282, going by the if it's a phone it's gotta be switched off thumb rule, it'd still be switched off. I know air hostesses aren't telecom engineers but something tells me they'd figure the 6282 quite shockingly resembles a phone.:D The N73ers could always change tracks when no one's watching :p or be clever enough to make a smack playlist before they tuck it in.

But yeah... actually I just wanted to take flight usage as an example... there's a million other places where the transceiver can be a mess up.

Getting back to the real deal... the 6282 has a poor camera. I'm not even gonna get into that.

I'm gonna be DAAAMN happy if the N73 came with the support I'm talking about. It'll be all I'd ask for... for at least another year. Whatever anyone knows about the N73 and the media player features... bring it on!

15. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Proving that if you can wait a month or two to get your hands on the latest gadget, you don't have to pay twice the normal price to get a beta product that wasn't even made for your market ;)

Wasn't the E50 just announced? That would mean we will see it in the US in what, 8 months? :D

16. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    and the plane itself doesn't have 10,000 tiny electro/mechanical parts? And are they all in perfect working order? And what if I am a loony and I secretly turn on something that quietly generates sparks, am I putting everyone in danger? Sure, I've heard this "explanation", but I don't believe it.

No it doesn't :browani:
    [​IMG]

To each his own. I don't care much if my phone has a high-res camera, I already have one of those. I still want at least the option of buying that 6282. To my mind a good compromise between price and functionality. Happy shopping!

SteveW

17. stonefree

stonefree New Member

ermmm... SteveW, like you DID notice my line "Can't really sit down to explain the reality of anything to anyone though... " after the phone fire thingie didn't you? Trust me when I tell you I'm relieved you don't believe it.

And as for the cute air hostess not figuring it's a phone... well the "NOKIA" written up north could be a let down, even at 10 miles from the phone. And heck, I wonder how much it does NOT look a phone... but good luck if and when you fly with it.

As for the 6282 in general... of course, to each his own. And "my own" would be trying not to carry three different devices... the N73 would help me dump an iPod and a Nikon. For you, well.. the 6282... it's got a slider and helps deceive air hostesses... :p allright aalllright... I'm kidding. *peace*

Building on the discussion though, I do think it's rather inevitable that airlines and flight staff will get accustomed to stand-alone devices that also encase RF modules in the future. Most of us can't probably fathom that at this time considering how much we're used to current practices, where we can't get out ANYTHING electronic on board. But I see this changing real soon. Lufthansa and a whole lot already have wifi enabled Internet browsing on-air... it's like $9.95 per hour and it's always been decent enough to check mail, IM blah blah. I've heard they're gonna be building VoIP based phone calls based on that backbone. That's a whole different realm of technology though. Anyways, my guess is, that convergent devices like (I HOPE) the N73 would most certainly be given place on an aircraft, if not now, very soon... it could be crucial to a shopper's decision later and most definitely would backfire if usage isn't possible. Very soon we might have people telling us, 'flight mode phones only please'... or something like that.

More power to convergent devices!

Just my $0.02 (or apparently more than that)

18. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    British Airways seems happy enough to let people use a mobile in flight mode. If I remember correctly they mention it in their cabin announcement.

19. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    stonefree - I knew you weren't vouching for the spark and vapor theory, just repeating it. My only suggestion is you might want to try to be politically correct and say "flight attendant", cute or not :p.

I happen to like my Palm, my phone and my Nikon separate. Don't have an iPod, that's what I want incorporated into my next phone. My wife agrees with you, however. She's waiting for the perfect Razr-thin, flip phone running the Palm OS, even though such a thing seems increasingly unlikely. :(

Now we are getting to the real reason airlines are still enforcing the cell phone ban. They want to make money when they relax it, and they are trying to figure out how to do that. Those Airphones in the seat backs never made any money, apparently, so most are being ripped out.

Maybe so, and in that transition, I think that candybar phone/computers with big screens like the N73 and slider phone/music players like the 6282 are going to get better treatment than the typical flip phone, just because of the way they look. Happy trails ...

20. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    That sounds way too logical to be any fun...:D
    Considering I am on my sixth phone since 9/22/05, I think waiting 8 months would be great for my finances but not so good for my patience so I guess the N73 will be the choice...;) .

I have a Nokia story, I went fishing with a guide last Saturday, he had a basic Nokia bar phone and I am not sure exactly which one. I know he has Cingular though. So anyway he just left the phone out any place on the boat, it got splashed with water and handled with bait tainted hands, and wiped off by him on the scratchy boat cushion coveres. The phone not only did not look beat up but had excellent reception everytime and he said that he has it for almost 2 years and never a dropped call. Way to go Nokia...:cheers:

21. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thought I would resurrect this thread since we were discussing flight mode on phones. The other day, on a United flight from Vancouver to Chicago, the following was part of the cabin announcements. I fly fairly often and this was the first time I had heard this.

"You may use your cell phone, or cell phone-like device, only if the transmitter function is disabled."

Still leaves open the question of how they would verify this.

22. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @SteveW

I think they are most concerned with people using electronic devices during take-ff and landing. During the flight itself I don't think they are too bothered although I imagine they would ask you to turn off the wireless features of a device if they saw you using it.

23. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You had earlier told us about British Airways recognizing the existence of flight mode, so I thought I would share this. I fly United, US Air, Delta and American often. Their pre-flight announcments are pretty uniform, but this was the first evidence I heard of a policy change in this regard. I fly non-US carriers like BA much less often. I'd be interested if other frequent fliers have had different experiences.

Of course take off and landing are most important. My point here is that flight attendants can't really be expected to police this. They can ask you to make sure the radio is off, but they can't know if you are lying, an idiot, other. They can't check that you have the phone set correctly or that, if the radio is turned off when you show it to them, you don't turn it on 2 min later just for spite. So this means that the policy is really no more than a suggestion.

24. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    @SteveW

I imagine the flight attendants have probably been given some training to let them know what to look for, but I think it's a case of the passenger having to turn the device off if the attendant tells them to do so whether it is in flight mode or not.

From what I understand wireless devices are unlikely to interfere with the plane itself although they might interfere with ground based communications. Hopefully someone can give us a definitive answer to this.

25. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Right. Device off during take-off and landing (they don't check this either, of course, just that you are not on a call). Hopefully, radio off during flight. :cool: