Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

any advice on cellular plans btw NY & DC?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

any advice on cellular plans btw NY & DC?

Hi,

I've finally decided get a cell phone. I don't anticipate using it that much (famous last words?). Anticipated use: (1) fiancee (in DC) can call if I am online/on my apt phone (2) those little pseudo-emergencies (missed meeting someone, delayes in travel, etc. (3) To get messages when in DC where I work in a space with no phone.

I live in Manhattan, spend approx. 1 week a month in DC and travel somewhere else in the country about 2-4 days every other month. Does anyone use AT&T, Verizon, or Voicestream in both DC & NY? Some say I have a soft voice, so sound quality is important.
    [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon.
    Best in both places and in between.
    The Northeast Regional plan will let you call your fiancee. She will be LD to phone you in NYC.

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Verizon or Voicestream. ATT is not the greatest of choicies for Manhattan. Verizon you will get coverage mostly wherever you go. Voicestream is great on all highways, and major Metropolan areas.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wouldn't choose AT&T if you live in NYC I have heard some bad things about AT&T on this board as well as the net in the NYC market. AT&T is also very low rated for that market on Epinions.com too. I'd hafta agree with Dobby choose Verizon or Voicestream I am going to give you some links below that might help you.

New York Cellular Phone Service

Verizon Mobile Phone Service in New York

VoiceStream Mobile Phone Service in New York

Washington/Baltimore Cellular Phone Service

VoiceStream Mobile Phone Service in Washington/Baltimore

5. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hi Anonymous, not to confuse you anymore but you might want to consider Nextel too... Nextel works great in the Northeast I'm currently in Southern New Jersey (Visiting) and I just took a trip to Hunter mountain,NY and to the Pocono's,Pa (Snowboarding) and my phone worked great. My brother has Verizon and he was in Analog roam the whole time in NY...but he did have digital in the Pocono's. Nextel has a plans that might interest you, you can go to their web site to check it out. Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Based on reviews from Epinions.com I wouldn't choose Nextel they have a poorer rating for NYC then Voicestream and Verizon have. They do have a good rating for the Baltimore/DC area though but since New York is gonna be your primarirly service area I would stick with Voicestream or Verizon Wireless. Nextel is too expensive too if you ask me and more for a business user even Nextel themselves claims 90% of there users are business users. Stick with considering Verizon or Voicestream.

7. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

I can't say that the greater NYC area is great for AT&T but I had posted an article in this forum several months ago regarding AT&T's expansion and upgrades in NYC...but yes you will have seen a fair number of complaints in the previous couple of years regarding AT&T's coverage in NYC. This article (which I'll include here) was printed in late October of 2001 and talks about the major enhancements in NYC late last year. I was in NYC right in the heart of Times Square and had practically full signal strength and no problems making and receiving calls with my AT&T...I of course never tried it indoors on the 87th floor of a hi-rise.

But of course, if Verizon and Voicestream have excellent reviews overall in the greater NYC area then by all means take a hard look at them. Epinions has given Voicestream decent but mixed reviews for NYC. Coverage will be weak outside urban areas and there will be "weak indoor reception at times."

[RELEASE 10/23/2001]

AT&T Wireless Completes First Phase of Major Enhancement
    of its New York Area Network

New Equipment Expands Call Capacity and Quality
    For Millions of New York Area Customers

Redmond, WA -- In connection with its third quarter earnings announcement, AT&T Wireless (NYSE: AWE) said today that it had completed the first phase of a major enhancement of its New York area network and, as a result, substantially increased calling capacity and improved service quality.

The New York market was part of a comprehensive multi-vendor network equipment strategy that the company unveiled about two years ago. At that time, AT&T Wireless said that it planned to install new wireless equipment in a number of high-growth, high-use North American markets.

"AT&T Wireless was able to complete a major overhaul of its New York network on-time and within budget, thanks to the multi-vendor strategy we had in place," said Mohan Gyani, president of AT&T Wireless Mobility Services. "In a matter of months, we totally replaced our previous equipment with a new high-performing network that is scalable to support future growth, standardized and on a modular platform."

Gyani said that as part of the New York effort, the company installed 13 new switches, replaced base stations in more than 1,040 cell sites and commissioned a new transport network.

"Concurrent with the success of this effort," he said, "our New York network team has begun its most aggressive build-plan to date and expects to activate more than 400 new cell sites in the New York City area within a year."

The New York network overhaul was designed to continue to improve key network performance metrics by meeting or exceeding quality benchmarks in accessing the network and completing calls, maintaining call connections and improving voice clarity, according to Greg Slemons, executive vice president, wireless network services.

"We're proud that our efforts succeeded on all three fronts," said Slemons. "We are exceeding our network accessibility, retainability and voice quality goals as a total network, achieving scores in the high 90 percentile in all categories."

Slemons said the company completed its New York network enhancement just prior to the tragic events of September 11. "While the network experienced three times the normal call volumes, not one of our new switches went down because of the heavy call traffic," he said. "Throughout the crisis, the network remained on-line and performed well providing much needed emergency service to the agencies responding to the tragedy.

"We had cell sites out of service in lower Manhattan due to Verizon and power company service disruptions, said Slemons. "We deployed a dozen portable cell sites, redirected some antennas and added more than 600 new radios in lower Manhattan, which increased calling capacity by more than 1,800 simultaneous calls. In just one week, we had more voice paths in lower Manhattan than we had before the disaster."

AT&T Wireless said its multi-vendor equipment strategy continues to support its digital wireless network in other North American markets as well as its rollout of the world-standard next generation technology.

8. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hi Daniel, I've been with Nextel for about 2years now and have been very happy customer, I have used my phone all over the U.S, Canada and Italy. In response to you comment "Nextel themselves claims 90% of there users are business users" True but, they've also stated that they are trying to attract more of the "personal" users, and have done so with the reflection of their Rate Plan's. I just compared Verizon's Single Rate 400, to Nextel's Traveler Plan 400 and this is what both had to offer. Verizon's single rate 400 anytime for $55.00 only comes with 3500 WEEKEND HOME airtime minutes and the basic features. Nextel's Traveler plan comes with 400 anytime minutes 4500 NIGHT & WEEKEND minutes(all Nationwide) 100 "Direct Connect" Minutes and all calls are rounded to the second. So you might want to check out their web site to see what they are offering, and as far as their service go's in NY, I think their one of the best.

Oh yeah,I checked out Epinion's and the biggest complant was price, so they lowered their price's...whats left..?????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    True, Rich you sound like a happy Nextel customer and I have heard some good things about Nextel on this board but I still don't like that the phones are Digital IDEN only no roaming so its a Nextel signal or none at all and I still believe they are geared more toward a business user base. Verizon's national plan may be higher but that includes roaming Digital/Analog so you are more likely to pick up a signal especially in the "boonies" where a Nextel phone prolly wouldn't even work. I've heard Nextel has pretty strict credit checks too. Is that true? Also if you read the Epinions.com board a little better for the NYC area you will see some users that do say there coverage area is a little poor in NYC, based on user reviews Verizon seems to be top in NYC, with Voicestream at number 2.

10. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

For the NYC area I may have to put Nextel a little bit ahead if not next to Voicestream for service area. I have always found a good signal with Nextel while on occasion a not so great one with Voicestream. And even when the bar is low down you can't tell a difference in the signal quality.

11. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Anyone heard much about Nextel's service in the greater Chicago area? What trial periods do they have? I'm an avid AT&T user in the Chicagoland area and used to get reimbursements for incoming and outgoing business calls on our personal cellphone plans which can add up substantially. Due to cutbacks, us guys are now on our own to foot the bill. Hmmm...so I am very interested in Nextel's Free-Incoming Calls plan.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, Kenny Nextel has great service in the Chicago area, I live around Evanston and travel downtown everyday to work. I've never had any problems or any kind of service interuptions(knock on wood) with my Nextel phone. I love my phone... the i90c, it's a great phone it has a cool blue display and all the features I could ever want.

I'll tell you about the deal that I have, I pay $79.99 per month I get 700 anytime minutes, Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes, Unlimited Direct Connect, FREE wireless web, Nationwide Long distance included and all the calling features. I recieved a 25$ service credit on my first months bill, free activation, free overnight shipping and all of my calls are rounded to the second, not to the minute, like everyone else and I got this all online.

After careful consideration I compared coverage maps and found that Nextel has a more coverage than Voicestream and Sprint in Chicago and sorrounding area's.