Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Antenna's bad reception

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Oct 6, 2005.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Antenna's bad reception

School parents rip cell phone spire

BY ELIZABETH HAYS
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Irate Bay Ridge parents are hoping to zap a massive cell phone tower going up on an apartment building across from a Catholic school.
    The sparks began to fly Tuesday night when workers for Nextel arrived at 8300 Fourth Ave. to install an antenna and lead-lined structure on the apartment building's roof - directly across from St. Anselm School.

Community critics called state Sen. Martin Golden (R-Bay Ridge), who arrived and stopped the work, arguing that the school and other residents had not been notified.

"It's the size of a garage. It's bigger than my office," said Golden, adding neighbors are concerned about possible health effects from radiation.

"Just common sense tells you that one of these things going up makes people panic," Golden said. "You would think a company like this would have the courtesy to sit down with the school."

Suzanne Whiteaker, head of St. Anselm's homeschool association, said concerned parents have threatened to withdraw their kids from the school, which enrolls about 530 kids through eighth grade.

"Everyone is up in arms. There's too much at risk here," said Whiteaker. "We were not notified of this potential hazard in our backyard."

A Sprint Nextel official insisted the facility was safe and the company had followed all the necessary regulations.

"The zoning code does not require public notification," said spokeswoman Lisa Malloy, adding officials would be happy to meet with concerned community members.

"There are more and more people in Brooklyn using wireless phones," Malloy said. "We're just trying to keep up with demand."

Such facilities are growing in the city, with Malloy estimating that possibly "thousands" of similar rooftop sites are in use throughout the city.

The companies pay rent to landlords for the use of their buildings, which Golden said he has heard can go for as much as $25,000 a month.

Though wireless companies need only an alteration permit from the Buildings Department to install such structures, City Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) introduced legislation this summer to give the Council oversight.

Golden also is planning to draft legislation in Albany that would require companies to give 90-day notice.

Jeff Mallouk, who owns the six-story building, said such facilities are "everywhere," so he didn't expect the uproar.

"If they want to pick on this particular installation, then what's going to happen in the rest of the city? I'm just doing what everyone else is doing."

Originally published on October 6, 2005

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/352851p-300852c.html

2. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Here we go again, uninformed NIMBY's... :rolleyes:

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ignorance is more common than I thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I did not see a place to email the writer. If I did I would have asked if the people there are really that stupid, asking if the protesters know that microwave ovens used by the same persons leak more radiation in the kitchen, school or office, than a cell tower at a distance.

Perhaps,NY politicians should ban themselves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Now there's an idea... why don't we just put cell panels in microwaves? Everyone would get good reception and no one would complain... "nothing sold to us for use in our homes can possibly harms us." :loony:

6. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I blame two parties.

The Ignorant NIMBY's for not knowing the facts.

And Sprint for attempting to install a site in front of a PRIVATE SCHOOL (read...RICH NUIMBY PARENTS!!!!) and expecting this NOT to happen.

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Don't worry. Sprint will sue the town, they'll get approved and NIMBYs will have to shove it. They are good at that.

The sad part is all the time, energy and dollars wasted in the process only because of a bunch of ignorants.

8. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Sprint sueing the City of New York? I rellly hope it doesn't get that far. I don't need my tax dollars wasted like that.