Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Another weird CelluarOne question

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by markuhde, Apr 27, 2009.

1. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Okay, so I got an LG Cookie - I've already posted about one problem with it - roaming all the time. Now, I've got another issue. This I think is a Cellular One thing this phone actually displays.

Twice now, the phone has played my text message ring but when I've looked there has been no sign of a text message. When I look online at the unbilled detailed usage I see this entry for the time the text message ring played with no message:

24/APR/2009 00:46:09 Home SMS Term 95682 INTERNATIONAL, MYANMAR 1 Msg 0 0 No No

Now, I've always got those entries randomly scattered through my bill with no messages associated and just ignored them since Cellular One doesn't charge for incoming text and I figured it was purely some billing mess up. No phone has ever rang at the time of those entries before. But apparently those entries really ARE something in the switch. Any idea what they could be?

Thanks,

Mark

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    It may be some spam that the switch is trying to block. It you do the AT command AT+CREG? is the first number 0? If not do AT+CREG=0 this may help stop your SIM from receiving unsolicited messages, like spam.

To help you with the AT commands, you can reference here:
    RadioRaiders AT Commands

...and here's the 3GPP explanation of the CREG command:

Set command controls the presentation of an unsolicited result code +CREG: <stat> when <n>=1 and there is a change in the MT’s circuit mode network registration status, or code +CREG: <stat>[,<lac>,<ci>[,<AcT>]] when <n>=2 and there is a change of the network cell.

Read command returns the status of result code presentation and an integer <stat> which shows whether the network has currently indicated the registration of the MT. Location information elements <lac>, <ci> and <AcT>are returned only when <n>=2 and MT is registered in the network. Refer subclause 9.2 for possible <err> values.

Defined values

<n>:

0 disable network registration unsolicited result code

1 enable network registration unsolicited result code +CREG: <stat>

2 enable network registration and location information unsolicited result code +CREG: <stat>[,<lac>,<ci>[,<AcT>]]

<stat>: circuit mode registration status

0 not registered, MT is not currently searching a new operator to register to

1 registered, home network

2 not registered, but MT is currently searching a new operator to register to

3 registration denied

4 unknown

5 registered, roaming

<lac>: string type; two byte location area code or tracking are a code in hexadecimal format (e.g. "00C3" equals 195 in decimal)

<ci>: string type; four byte GERAN/UTRAN/E-UTRAN cell ID in hexadecimal format

<AcT>: access technology of the registered network

0 GSM

1 GSM Compact

2 UTRAN

3 GSM w/EGPRS (see NOTE 1)

4 UTRAN w/HSDPA (see NOTE 2)

5 UTRAN w/HSUPA (see NOTE 2)

6 UTRAN w/HSDPA and HSUPA (see NOTE 2)

7 E-UTRAN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

RadioRaiders, thanks for your help and no offense - but I don't think that has anything to do with unsolicited messages in that sense. Setting it to 2 makes +CREG? return the location area code and cell ID, so I think what it means is make it so that it gives that unsolicited info in the response.

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    No offence taken :) I think you're right, this command is not the one I was looking for. I was looking for the one that turns on/off Cell Broadcast info. Can't seem to find it right now :( ...anyway, maybe look in your phones menu under SMS settings and see if you can turn off Cell Broadcast messages there.

**edit**

Ah, found what I was looking for :)

Do AT+CSMS? and you should get something like this returned:
    at+csms?
    +CSMS: 0,1,1,1

In all cases 1 means enabled, and 0 is disabled.
    +CSMS? +CSMS: <service>,<mt>,<mo>,<bm>

The last number (<bm>) is "Broadcast Message". Set that to 0 and see if it helps you.

Here's the extract from GSM0705:

3.2.1 Select Message Service +CSMS
    Parameter Command Syntax
    Command Possible response(s)
    +CSMS=<service> +CSMS: <mt>,<mo>,<bm>
    +CMS ERROR: <err>
    +CSMS? +CSMS: <service>,<mt>,<mo>,<bm>
    +CSMS=? +CSMS: (list of supported <service>s)

Description

Set command selects messaging service <service>. It returns the types of messages supported by the
    ME: <mt> for mobile terminated messages, <mo> for mobile originated messages and <bm> for broadcast
    type messages. If chosen service is not supported by the ME (but is supported by the TA), final result
    code +CMS ERROR: <err> shall be returned. See chapter Message Service Failure Result Code for a
    list of <err> values.
    Also read command returns supported message types along the current service setting.
    Test command returns a list of all services supported by the TA.
    Defined Values
    <service>:
    0 GSM 03.40 and 03.41 (the syntax of SMS AT commands is compatible with GSM 07.05
    Phase 2 version 4.7.0; Phase 2+ features which do not require new command syntax may be
    supported (e.g. correct routing of messages with new Phase 2+ data coding schemes))
    1 GSM 03.40 and 03.41 (the syntax of SMS AT commands is compatible with GSM 07.05
    Phase 2+ version; the requirement of <service> setting 1 is mentioned under
    corresponding command descriptions)
    2...127 reserved
    128... manufacturer specific
    <mt>, <mo>, <bm>:
    0 type not supported
    1 type supported

#4 RadioRaiders, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009