Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Another lower priced plan aimed at 1-2 lines

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by dmapr, Mar 9, 2014.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Another announcement on the heels of last months introduction of lower cost share plans:
    - See more at: Best-Ever Price for Individual and Two Line Accounts | AT&T

1 person likes this.
  2. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Just signed up on line. I had a 1400 minute family plan ($80), a smartphone with 300 MB of data ($20) and another dumb phone ($9.99). We used $4-5 worth of texts per month for a total of $115 before taxes. Occasionally we exceeded the 300 Mb and got an additional $20 hit.

Signed up for a 2 GB Data Share plan ($40), 1 smart phone ($25), and a dumb phone ($20) for a total of $85 before taxes with unlimited voice, text and 2 MB vs 300 MB. Total savings $30 per month. $85 per month is less than 2 Straight Talk lines.

I have a cheap smartphone I bought on line (ZTE Open) that I might use to replace the dumb phone for an additional $5 per month.

I think ATT has hit a home run and the other carriers will be forced to match it (or lose market share). A win for everybody.

2 people like this.
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, just saw my rate go down by $15/month from the Mobile Share plan. Way to go Death Star. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

If I didn't have an unlimited data plan I would definitely think about this one. I wonder if AT&T would still allow a FAN discount on these new single line plans. Verizon does not allow any discounts on their $65 plan. Seems to me that AT&T offers the better deal here anyway since this plan offers 2GB of data, not 1 like Verizon's $65 single line plan.

Anyone know if AT&T allows you to switch to these plans if you are still on contract?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3.

5. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi Eileen, yes you can switch if you are under contract. The price is higher, it's $40/month for a Smartphone under contract.

My understanding is that the FAN discount is still applicable, I won't know for sure until I get my bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  6. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I don't know whether AT&T makes these new single-line plans ineligible for FAN, but they haven't been doing it with their old style individual plans. As for switching the under contract phone, my best guess is that the same rules will apply as with the previous batch of plans, as in if you were under contract prior to the plan's introduction back in February it won't cost you extra to switch the contract phone to the new plan, but the ETF would still apply until the contract is over.

On our 4 line plan that we switched in February we still had one line under contract. We kept the FAN intact and we're paying $15/line on all 4 lines, including the under contract one.

7. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My smart phone was under 2 year contract and I got the $25 rate. As long as you were under contract as of 3/9/14 you are eligible for the $25 per phone rate. New 2 year contracts will get the $40 rate.

8. Eileen89

Thanks Charlyee. It seems like I am consuming a lot more data with my new Android phone and I am not sure that I can do with only 2GB per month. I think I'll wait and see what other data options become available in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3.

9. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Not sure what you mean, there are all kinds of data options from 300MB/mo to 50GB/mo. The only question is whether any of those options are going to save you money.

10. Eileen89

Ok, I went to AT&T's web site and looked at the other data options. The only one worth considering for me would be the 4GB option. However, after my FAN discount and taxes I think I would be paying the same thing that I am now with my unlimited data plan.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    In my continuing saga with AT&T, I find that the Nokia has been reclassified as Smartphone with the rate of $25, same as my iPhone.

Upon calling AT&T, I find out that Nokia has lovingly and optimistically classified the S40 Asha 311 as a Smartphone.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/asha311/

Since the difference between a Smartphone and Feature phone is only $5/month it wasn't worth perusing it.

My 2gb Mobile Share will be $40 + $25 + $25 = $90. My discount will be applied on the $40 only. Comparing this to the $130 I was paying before Mobile Share, I have nothing to complain about. :)

Sent from my iPad us

12. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The 2GB & 4GB plans are strange to me. Without a FAN discount they're pretty much the same in price, since data overages are billed in $15/1GB increments. So if you have a 2GB plan and use more than 3GB but less than 4GB you're paying the same as if you're on a 4GB plan. But should you use less than 3GB in any month you're saving money with a 2GB plan. The FAN does skew it a bit in favor of the 4GB plan, but by a small amount.

If I were in your shoes I'd keep the current plan for a month or two to see how much data I actually use, then do the math to see if it makes sense for me to switch.

13. Eileen89

I agree with everything you posted here. After speaking with a AT&T Rep this evening, he also recommend that I wait to switch away from my current plan, as he said that once they remove my unlimited data plan I can not get it back again. With the current promotions that are on my account it doesn't look like these plans will save me anything right now anyway.

Sent from my iPad Air

14. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I get a FAN discount as a ATT retiree and the new 2 GB plan keeps my discount. And yes, you can get the new plan as lonv as you were under a 2 year contract as of 2/9/14. New 2 year plans can get rhe contracts but the monthly device price will be $40 vs $25 or $15.

1 person likes this.
  15. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Feedback on the new plan. I was paying on average $108-111 (with FAN discount) for 2 lines (1 smartphone), 1400 minutes, 300 MB data and per item texts. Got new bill of $77 (with FAN discount) for 2GB shared data, 2 lines (1 smartphone), unlimited talk & text. Pretty substantial savings.

1 person likes this.
  16. rjniles

rjniles Junior Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Another update:
    ATT has changed the 2 GB plan to 3 GB (plus unlimited talk & text) for the same $$. You have to sign up to get it.
    My plan is $90 per month before FAN discount, taxes and fees.

Charlyee, Still loving the MOTO X, thanks again.

charlyee likes this.
  17. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I like what ATT has been doing recently. I upgraded my 10G plan ot 15G for the same price. I have 2 phones and 2 ATT Wireless Hotspots. (The sales clerk convinced me that using our phones as hotspots would drain the phone too quickly. Now, nearly 1 yr later, I have my doubts but still have a year to go. I know it would be cheaper to cancel and pay the early termination fee, but I'm still undecided as to whether the device is a good thing or not.)