Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Anonymous Posters, Why ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by C44335, Oct 8, 2002.

1. C44335

C44335 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This forum seems to allow more Anonymous people post than most, Why ?

Most of (If not all) the other forums won't allow people to post unless they are registered.

I think if you have something to say, Log in.

This is just my opinion.
    Remember opinions are like a**holes, everyone has them. And some of them stink.

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

I second that notion. I am suspicious that so many Anonymous posters are so pro-Verizon, or they have so much Verizon knowledge, that they sound like employees of Verizon. Identify yourselves people! [​IMG]

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree with this statemeant its long time that Wireless Advisor got rid of anoymous posters. I've been in support of this for a long time now.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree. "Death" to all Anonymous Posters. The nerve...what is this some kind of democracy? George Orwell was right - there should be a "Thought Police".

5. Guest

Guest Guest

No offense, but using a name like TNDan21 ain't exactly full disclosure. Use your real name. If you don't, you should not cast stones!!! The way I see it there's no real difference between a fake screen name and being Anonymous.

Perhaps so many posters are pro-Verizon because (1) they have the largest share of the market so it is natural that more posters might be Verizon folks and/or (2) they have the best service.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Its funny how you praise death to all anonymous posters, yet you've been a long time Verizon defender and have not registered yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Another brilliant message from an anonymous poster!
    Well, I know the differences between a fake screen name and being anonymous may not be too obvious to some people, so maybe I can shine some light for you. How else can I individually and clearly address you and the other anonymous poster above you if I didn't use the quotes above? Having a name not only gives you a unique identity but it also allows you to build credibility based on the time you spend on the forum and the quality of your responses. This helps greatly in socializing with other members who's unique distinction is the "fake screen name" as you call it. I am sure many of us can further illustrate and help you understand about the advantages of having a name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Perhaps it would be best to allow an anonymous poster 3 posts per IP address. After that they can get the nag screen to register.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Definition: At a forum, someone entrusted by the administrator to help discussions stay productive and within the guidelines.

Information: Good moderators are essential for good forums; great moderators are essential for great forums... and the absence of moderators typically leads to ghost towns inhabited only by spam bots.

Basic moderator duties include deleting or modifying inappropriate posts, educating newcomers about forum guidelines, and possibly deleting accounts of repeat offenders. Additionally, moderators may be experts in their field who can help minimize unanswered questions.

Most moderator openings are volunteer positions, although there may be substantial indirect rewards. These highly visible positions can lead to enhanced status within a community. This can even translate into business leads, as potential clients have an opportunity to get familiar with the moderator.

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Glad to see that you are doing your homework and learning about what we can do. Keep up the research!
    But, seriously...why don't you register? You've been part of the Verizon Lovers Community for a while. Might as well get a name so others can associate your comments with a single name.

11. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Bobolito, where has all of this anti-Verizon feeling coming from? I'm not saying it's from you or anything, I just have been seeing so many pro and anti Verizon people lately, like T-Mobile was before. I seriously hope I'm not thrown in a catagory, I really like Verizon, but they are for me (at the moment, until things change) and I always try to give the best info, not just shove down people's throats, and we all know who those posters are.

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I dont think anyone thinks you are too pro verizon. You have been a very objective poster. I think bobolito is referring to the few Verizon salespeople masquerading as anonymous posters [​IMG]

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think I know what you are referring to Airbus. I guess it is just a new wave of Verizon users and ex-users who are novice to WirelessAdvisor. However, in the case of this particular Verizon anonymous user, I am referring to him in particular. Idiot, you should be able to tell him apart from other anonymous posters since you are a moderator as well. I've been noticing him for about 2 months now.

14. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah it's wierd huh. I think its those Verizon ads, they are brainwashing people lol! I am not a fan of most anon posters since they just say dumb things, but some are people who are just too lazy to register for a few posts which is OK by me. Having people register does not always stop the problem unfortuantely, an example being 'john doe' the Mr. Cingular GSM is the best blah blah blah.

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Funny thing is for each major carrier there's at least one poster in WA who's primary obsession is to worship and adore the carrier of their choice, but I haven't seen anyone pledging unconditional love and devotion to AT&T.

16. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    There are people who say they like AT&T but they're not as fanatical. Perhaps this is because AT&T do not have as many ads on TV as Cingular, Sprint (and I HATE those bloody ads), T-Mobile and Verizon. Or maybe AT&T posters are just more mature (heh).

I'd say there's at least one per regional forum, too...

And then there's me, the forum smart*ss.

17. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    ", but I haven't seen anyone pledging unconditional love and devotion to AT&T."
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I like AT&T alot. I'm not going to pledge unconditional love, but it does work for me so I like it. I've been with AT&T for almost five years and I'm very satisfied with them. I don't know if that makes me a fanatic but if it does so be it.

[​IMG]

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ruddy, I was mistaken because I thought you liked Verizon. But I don't think anyone thinks of you as part of the AT&T defense army.

19. pfp

pfp Senior Member

I think I said this in the Canada forum, but the people I think are worse than anonymous posters are:

(drumroll)

The people who register a name to put up one advertisement. I think one example was a person with the handle "NextelSales". I think they're trying to add credibility to their statements by being members, but we can all see how many posts they've actually made. Maybe they don't know they can post anonymously, but...oh, I'm just gonna drop it.

I make a hobby of making fun of them. They're asking for it.

P

By the way, Bob, I love the new logo!

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Then they should also get RID of ANONYMOUS TIPS

21. rallykid

rallykid New house = No free time

My Phone:
    LG 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint

22. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    I know that this is toward the end of this tread, but I would just like to yell out loud and proud..."I WORK FOR VERIZON!!!!!!!!" That way all of you know that if you didnt already!

23. thisisme

thisisme Junior Member

I hate to play devils advocate here, but some anon posters (not all) do have some usefull information. But I think everyone is right on the board when they say you should register. if you have good info on this stuff and dont register then how am i supposed to look for your posts. if people like rasputin, emag*rad, bobolito, idioteqnology and others didnt register then i probably wouldnt follow half the threads that i do now.

we dont all dress the same...do we? put a face (relatively speaking) behind that post of yours and stand out.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    3 posts per IP is a good idea until you analyze it and realize that it will not work. Three posts per IP means that if there's someone behind a corporate firewall (like me now) and post 3 messages as anonymous, then someone else in the same company using another computer will not be able to post as anonymous at all. Why? Because WirelessAdvisor will see only the firewall IP and will think it is the same anonymous user again. On the other hand, there will be people for which this will not have any effect if they use dynamic IP (DHCP) like most dialup users, some DSL and cable modem users, whose IP address changes every time they connect to the Internet. Since the IP will be different for the same person, they will be able to post way more than just 3 messages.

25. wakko

wakko Junior Member

you could always use cookies, and limit it to 3 posts per browser. Granted if they clear their cookies, it's fair game again. There's no firm way of limiting an individual's anonymous posts. You could set up the site to allow only 10 anonymous posts per day.

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Nice idea but by 6:00 am every day they will be done..hehe!

27. wakko

wakko Junior Member

10 ... 50, it was just an idea [​IMG]

28. rallykid

rallykid New house = No free time

My Phone:
    LG 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint
    Or we could trace down the anon posters by their IP addresses and when they make stupid posts we could drag them out of their home kicking and screaming in the middle of the night and beat the crap out of them on their lawns as we sing Irish drinking songs and wave flags bearing our favorite phone manufacturers logos.........or maybe not [​IMG] Sorry, it's been one of those days [​IMG]

29. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, let's hire the CIA and the FBI [​IMG]

30. pfp

pfp Senior Member

I'll take care of the RIT student [​IMG]...He'll learn the authority you get when you're in your sixth year.

Is there any hope of this thread ever turning serious again?

P