Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ANALOG ONLY setting question

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by MUHillbilly, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MUHillbilly

MUHillbilly Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Question:

I have the Motorola V325 (tri-mode)and I noticed that I can turn the ANALOG ONLY setting ON and OFF...what is the purpose of this? I leave it OFF, but what would be a situation in which I would turn it ON?

Also, I'm on Automatic A

AMPS Sys ID: 51
    CDMA Sys ID: 21

Should they both be 21?

2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Analog is a form of network that is used in rural areas where thei regular systems dont reach.........a lot of farmland and country-side use the analog..........AMPS and analog ar one and the same.........and since AMPS is a different network from the digital CDMA...........the Sys IDs will not be the same

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hi,

The CDMA and AMPS SID don't both have to be the same in a georgraphic area. I believe that Verizon does not use the same SID for their CDMA and AMPS in your area, so what you are getting is correct.
    AMPS, as Smartestchild explained is just another type of network, it's older and takes up a lot more capacity, hence carriers switched to CDMA. Depending on your area, you may never need a phone with AMPS. I live out west, where a lot of coverage is said to be AMPS, and I've personally only have digital only phones. Turning AMPS on your phone ON may help you if the CDMA signal is weak or for some reason won't let you make a call, as AMPS is often able to complete the call successfully. Hope this helps.

4. MUHillbilly

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Will the CDMA & AMPS sys ID numbers change if I dial *228 when I travel out west?

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    *228 has nothing to do with this. Every market has different SID's. Some market, like my market use same SIDs for both AMPS and CDMA, other markets, like yours use one SID for CDMA and one SID for AMPS.
    So, in short, yes, your SID number will change as you travel to another market, roam on another carrier.

6. MUHillbilly

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Why does Verizon say "dial *228 at least once a month"? I was told to do it any time I go somewhere on vacation.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's because *228 download the latest PRL to your phone. A PRL is what your phone uses to know what carriers it can and cannot use. Verizon usually doesn't update PRLs every month, it's more like every 3 months. The reason why Verizon wants you to update your PRL before you go on vacation is so you have the most current PRL, which should give you the best possible signal... if you want to know more, here's a link to what's changed in the latest Verizon PRL...sometimes they are small changes, sometimes they are bigger.

Here is the complete list of changes from PRL version 50644 to PRL version 50698 (AC II / ERI / 1x):

United States
    01541 (USCC - NC) increased in PRI (now preferred over ALLTEL)

Canada
    16390 (MT&T Mobility - NS) PCS entry added
    16408 (NBTel Mobility - NB) PCS entry added
    16414 (NewTel Mobility - NF) PCS entry added
    16430 (Island Tel Mobility - PE) PCS entry added

Caribbean
    08129 (caymanone - Cayman Islands) added (now preferred over Blue Sky Wireless)
    22300/04177 (cruise ship services) consolidated into single GEO
    08097 (Bermuda Digital - Bermuda) PCS entry moved from Caribbean GEO to cruise ship GEO

Here's a thread about another VZW PRL released last October and it's changes from the previous PRL:
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/verizon-wireless-users/58626-new-prls-10-31-06-a.html

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know what other carriers plan on doing this but the FCC is going to allow carriers to shut of Analog in 2/08, so if Verizon plans on shutting it down like Cingular is planning on doing, eventually the Analog only selection may be moot.

Does anyone know what other carriers other then Cingular, plan on shutting off Analog in 08?

9. MUHillbilly

My Phone:
    Motorola V325
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I went to a region near my house where I knew there wasn't a Verizon signal and sure enough my phone went to ANALOG. I tried to make a phone call, but it wouldn't go through. Why is this?

My phone showed an "A" at the top, but no triangle.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    analog sucks when it comes to reliability and call quality.........when you make an analog call you have to stand still otherwise it sounds like an old movie.........and the ability to place calls can vary with the network like how kempt it is

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. mtn-bike

mtn-bike New Member

My Phone:
    Moto v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW.....Rrrrrrr
    I'm not sure if there's any truth to it but I don't think an analog phone can be located using the GPS feature......so for not-so-legal activities that may the way to go.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    for the time-of-arrival GPS because analog cannot support the digital "computations" to call it something.........that CDMA nowadays does do.......if the analog phone is outfitted with satellite GPS which id love to her about.........then it could use the GPS