Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

"Amy," the wonderfully articulate scammer

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by KevinJames, May 18, 2016.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Anyone else getting calls from Amy? Last week she was working for the Social Security Administration. This week she is with a home security system, citing rising crime and other stats that should raise fear in me, LOL.

Caller ID indicates she is calling from within my area code, but I suspect that is not true. One dead give-away is that the prefix on all the numbers she's used do not exist in the area code. Toward the end of today's call, I thanked her for the brief entertainment after I listened to her schpiel and conversed with her for a about 2 minutes and then hung up.

Bottom line, I've noticed that scammers know the public is becoming increasingly savvy and not answering calls that are out of the area code and not in their personal contact list. So now they are spoofing the number to look like it is coming from within the area code that the target lives in. I looked up one of the numbers she used and it goes back to (service is being provided by) "01-Communications."

Jay2TheRescue likes this.
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Scammers and telemarketers have made a mess of telecommunications and it will only get worse.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @JFB: Indeed! And not just telecom. Everything and anything dealing with the modern world. Just think how much more wonderful our technologically connected world would be if there weren't hackers, software viruses, skimmers, and more. Technology has taken pick-pockets to a whole new level. Everytime I use an ATM terminal, after punching in my code, I swipe my fingers across each key so that heat sensors can't detect the numbers I punched. I am very reluctant to buy a newer vehicle because of the potential of being hacked. Then there are all the recent articles about IoT (Internet of Things) devices (especially Samsung home devices) that are not adequately secured. Its enough to frighten some to go completely off-grid and live in the woods. :sick::censored::cry::(:mad::confused:o_O

4. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Not just technology... I'm dismayed at the number of scams and rip-offs that exist out in the open. Phony pills/drugs, buy now and get 2nd whatever free just pay additional ($$$) handling fee, free (not really) credit reports, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 JFB, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @JFB: Yeah, everyday John's words at Revelation 22:20 are becoming more heartfelt and more urgent from me. Some days it feels as if it doesn't happen real soon, there won't be much to come back for. :sick:

6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    "Amy" called again. I'm beginning to think she is just a "bot." The intonations of her speech and the intro words she uses are always the same. Sometimes the phrases she says come across like "the man behind the curtain" in the wizard of Oz -- as if she is a controlled voice by someone else. This time, she was once again with a security firm concerned about my welfare. I ignored and pitch and asked Amy: "I was wondering, Amy, with roasted roadkill, should I baste it in its own blood or use the blood of the vultures that were feeding off of it?" There was a long pause followed by a disconnect. Do you guys have any suggestions of what else I can say? My goodness, I'm almost beginning to enjoy telemarketer calls. This is fun.