Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

America's Choice Plan

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Be careful if you have Verizon and you are on the America's Choice plan. I live in the NY metro area and occassionally my phone comes up roaming (NOT the extended network, but real roaming) and I have the most up to date PRL 50038 (*228). There are gaps in the coverage.

Why can't verizon just off REAL nationwide roaming???

2. VZWMike

VZWMike Junior Member

Question: If you are in a call that began while you were on the AC network and during the call you travel into a roaming area, will it drop your call (like Sprint used to) or will you just start getting charged for roaming?

3. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    1. With the newer PRL's, Sprint PCS was removed as a roaming partner in New York.

2. Verizon does offer a nationwide plan. If AC isn't working for you, look into it.

4. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Vzwmike, I believe your call will drop.

You know, Verizon Wireless CS Rep just told me that they have a list of places covered under America's Choice network and if you get charged roaming in the city that is supposed to be covered then they will credit those charges. Hmmm...I'm gonna have to find out more about that.

*** Update ***

I just spoke with another rep and they also said that if you get charged roaming in city whereby their list says there should be covered then they will credit those charges.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Verizon AC plans are the same as Sprint national plans in the sense that as long as you connect to one of their towers, you won't be charged for roaming. The only difference is that Verizon has more towers than Sprint, therefore Verizon is not looked at as Sprint because it is less likely to roam with them. However, just as with Sprint, you can find roaming signals even in your own house with Verizon AC plans.

If Sprint was removed as a roaming partner for Verizon in NYC, why is this anonymous user saying that his phone showed roaming if according to him he got the latest PRL?
    Also, Malial that brings up my point I was making in the Las Vegas thread where I said I prefer roaming partners to be removed where Verizon has its own network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sprint was removed as a roaming partner for Verizon in NYC,
    ---------

From my understanding, SPCS requested Verizon to be removed from the PRL because 'experienced' Verizon Customers utilized older PRL's to force a lock onto SPCS. This in turn clogged SPCS's system a bit, and eventually brought about the removal. However, according to Verizon, users with the OLD PRL that lock onto SPCS towers anywhere in the NYC region will not be charged roaming fees, but they prefer that you update the PRL..

7. Guest

Guest Guest

<< .

*** Update ***

I just spoke with another rep and they also said that if you get charged roaming in city whereby their list says there should be covered then they will credit those charges.
    >>

I don't understand why they do this. There computer charges for roaming on the AC Plan. Then, before sending out bills, it should check to see where the roaming charges are from. It the computer compares these roaming charges were on the AC Plan, it should delete them before printing the bills so we don't havr to keep calling.

I'm also mad about the updated PRL and no Sprint. I live in Staten Island, NY and in very few areas, I would get EXTENDED NETWORK to make calls (Sprint). Now it comes up ROAMING. I should have stayed on the Single Rate EAST Plan so I did not have to worry about the roaming indicator back then.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If Verizon people were locking their phones onto Sprint PCS towers in NYC you would think that Verizon would not be happy. After all they would have to pay out the roaming costs to Sprint. Sprint would also be making good money from Verizon. But it would potentially overtax their system if too many user were doing this. Sprint was also removed from Verizon as a roaming partner in the Los Angeles area. Don't know why.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

If Verizon people were locking their phones onto Sprint PCS towers in NYC you would think that Verizon would not be happy. -- Which explains the omission of SPCS from the new PRL.

Sprint was also removed from Verizon as a roaming partner in the Los Angeles area. Don't know why.

-Probably for the same reason.

10. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Could this be an excuse to opt out of ones contract with Verizon?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Make sure you do not deliberately try to lock onto SPCS by using an outdated PRL. Update your PRL as well.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I need help! I just got my Verizon phone in the mail...I'm new to the America's Choice Plan...in fact, I'm new to Verizon in general. I go to college in Atlanta, GA and live in Pittsburgh, PA. My area code is for Atlanta, but I'm in Pittsburgh now. Both areas are clearly shown as being covered under the America's Choice plan, but in my own house in Pittsburgh, it says that I am "roaming." Luckily, I realized this after only using the phone for 5 or 6 minutes, but it's vital that I'm able to use the phone in both cities...and grr! Can someone help me because the Verizon people haven't yet replied to my email?! I read that if the city's on the list (which it is), they waive the charges. Do they do this automatically, or will I have to spend an hour on the phone every month with the Customer Service reps? Thanks for any feedback!

13. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

[​IMG] Don't worry! You're fine in Pittsburgh.

Verizon gave you an Atlanta phone number with a home Atlanta SID (00041). When you go outside the SID 41 area, like when you are in Pittsburgh SID 32, you will see a roaming light. BUT, as you are still in the America's Choice Network area, the roam light means nothing. You're paying the same rates as though you were sitting at Turner Field, or watching Talkback Live at CNN Center.

Somewhere in your phone's menu system is a way for you to see the CURRENT SID, or SYSTEM ID, or CURRENT NETWORK, or something like that. If you look at the number it gives you, you'll see what coverage area you're in at that moment. (On a StarTac, hit FCN-1-2-7-STO)

Take a look at Verizon PRL 50048. In that list, you'll see system ID numbers (like Atlanta = 41, Pittsburgh = 32). As long as the current system ID number your phone displays is on that list, shown as either VERIZON, or with a flashing green RM next to it, you're in the America's choice Network and using your plan minutes.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

14. EasyE

EasyE Junior Member

By the way, forgot to ask you.....

Did they give you a 404, 770 or 678 area code?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks! I finally got a reply from the Verizon people and they said basically the exact same thing you did...without the explanation of why it says roaming. Thanks again! And 404 by the way.

16. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

I live in a rural "hickville" area in Maryland and my verizon phone sometimes goes into roaming, but they have yet to charge me for it. So i guess it depends if your city is listed or not on their plan. I discovered the weirdest thing recently too, my friend who has voicestream and also a v60 phone gets better recpetion around my neighborhood than my verizon phone. I find that realy really weird, I always thought verizon was better.