Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Amazon VZW phones - 1 year contract, good deal?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by torajm, Jan 22, 2005.

1. torajm

torajm New Member

Recently Amazon.com started offering Verizon phones with a 1-year contract and cashback. This is lot cheaper than buying phones from verizon.

Are there any advantage of buying from verizon and signing a 2-year contract (other than getting a new phone once every two years)

Do you know of any VZW authorized reseller who offer cashback similar to Amazon for 1-year contract?

Please advise.

#1 torajm, Jan 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon gives you a new phone at discounted rates whenever your contract has expired. The only difference is they give you $100 if you sign a 2 year contract then sign another two year deal when that contract is up.

In my opinion, it's not worth a 2 year deal with VZW because you are essentially signing a 4 year contract to get the "New Every Two" deal (your initial 2 year deal and the 2 year contract to get your $100 credit). I'd much rather have the freedom to stay or go after 12 months.

3. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    When a new customer gets a phone at a discount you are using new for every 2. I do agree that it is better to go 1 year (10 months to upgrade) than 2 year (22 months to upgrade). People who have a plan under a predecessor of VZW can't do new for every 2 because they are not signed up. To sign up you have to get a VZW plan to get and then you can get digital phone at a discount (that is what new customers do).

4. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    I like the Amazon deals, with the 1 yr contract. Beats the Verizon deals with 2yr contract. I use the NE2, but will probably go forward with 1 yr contracts myself in the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Bmore girl

Bmore girl New Member

I'm very frustrated with the customer service from verizon. I think they used to have very good customer service but now it seems like they really don't care. I have been having problems with my phone for a while and in December I paid $100 to get a replacement phone of the same model at the Verizon store. And now I'm having the same problem with the new phone. I think it's just a problem with that model phone. So now my only option is to do an early upgrade (upgrade to a plan that costs $59.99/month), extend my contract for 2 years and pay for a new phone. If I want to keep my current plan of $39.99 and not resign a 2 year contract then I have to buy a phone at retail price. I just think it's completely unfair that I had to pay $100 for a phone that doesn't work 2 months ago and now I have to pay for another phone. And I really don't want to resign a 2 year contract. But I also don't want to pay the $175 early termination fee. My current phone is terrible and my contract doesn't end until end of July.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I'm so frustrated! :mad:

So tarojm I would definately go with the 1 year plan. The two year contract is just not worth it!! This could happen to you!!!