Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

am i breaking any laws??????

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Day5InJanuary, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    so there is a cell phone tower in the center of my town maybe a half a mile away from my house...i have always wondered who is on the tower...there are 3 different sections on the tower....it is located right behind the fire station...i am afraid of getting to close and having an officer drive by and question me..i have noticed that the cell providers usually put there names next to the electric meters...i am just curious of how long i could poke around to find the names before someone starts to wonder what the hell i am doing around the tower......i mean, i would think i can look around there as long as i am not going beyond the metal fence around the tower??? right???????

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I don't think it is illegal, unless the tower is on private property, and if you don't go over the fence. I go to the towers in my area all the time! It's all good until you get caught, lol...:p

3. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    haha nice..i mean like you said as long as i dont go over the fence i should be fine...what has happened to you ?...have you got into trouble visiting towers???...and if for any legal reasons you cannot answer that question i understand..haha:lmao:

4. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yea, if you don't go over the fence you will be fine, nothing has ever happend to me. Nope I haven't ever got into any trouble what so ever.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

Yes, as long as you follow the common sense rules of trespassing you will be ok. The only thing I would add is that if you are taking pictures then be prepared to answer "why" from authorities or even a casual passerby.

Btw, Welcome to WA, it is always nice to have another person interested in cell towers. I am sure you have found our Gallery, there are all sorts of tower pictures there. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 charlyee, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  6. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    thanks charlyee...yea..i mean i would never go over any fences or anything..its always interesting though to find out which carriers are on towers around us....but if a authorities ask why i am taking pictures what is the usuall answer you give them...for a wireless website or hobby????i mean it seems like it is automatic to get questioned about it.....:(

7. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would just say I'm just taking pictures for a cell tower gallery on a website called WirelessAdvisor.com

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I think either "hobby" or "for the gallery" is fine, since realistically it is kind of both. I have only been questioned twice, once by the tech that pulled up and the other by someone coming out of the store next to it. They were both just curious and infact I had a very good conversation with the tech and told him all about WA. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've been hanging around all kinds of cell tower sites and have even gone inside the equipment area a few times when I found doors open. :) Nobody's ever questioned me at all even when taking pictures.

10. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ive been to alot of sites in the boston area and never had any issues going up to a tower and snapping a few shots. Go ahead and post em, the mass gallery needs some more pics. :)

11. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    awsome guys...today i will take some pics:)

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Great, looking forward to seeing them. :)

Hmm, I am not sure I would recommend that. Do you also walk into other people's houses or go in their cars if you find the doors open? Good thing you live 3000 miles away from me. :lmao:.

Seriously though, in today's world I would be very leery of walking into the equipment room without permission.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

13. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah yeah I knew someone would say that. Advice taken. :D This was in an isolated area on a hill with nobody around. So no chance at getting caught. The gate was left wide open for almost a month. Plus there were no signs around telling me to stay out. *shrug*

14. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    ok guys..posted some pics in the massachussetts section of cell tower pictures...look and reply to my comments on the pics...thanks:cool:

15. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones

Just make sure you are wearing a pocket protector and really thick glasses and they won't have any trouble believing you. ;)

16. Psychotronic

Psychotronic New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6101
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I usually tell them I take pictures as a hobby. At worst, Ive gotten some strange looks.

17. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Larry, you better hope no one has vandalized the site when you go inside a compound or you could be going to jail. I've seen an increase in copper thefts at sites (buss bars, power cables, coax) and trust me if you get caught then you can be charged under federal law (the sites are licensed by the FCC). The fines can be stiff, plus because of the Homeland Security laws jail time is possible. Not trying to BS anyone but if I caught you wandering around one of my sites you would be in some hot water.;)

18. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Just an interjection here -- we don't dispense legal advice here on WirelessAdvisor.com. If you really want to know whether you're breaking the law, you should consult an attorney-at-law or the police, though with the attorney you have privilege.

19. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    thanks..was just getting input from other tower hunters....i understand i can talk to an attorney.

20. smellular

smellular New Member

Taking pics of something isn't legal if it's on private property, btw. You need a permit. I'd say use a telescopic lens - then you don't have to worry about it.

21. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    Just tell whoever that you are an independent contractor. When I was a contractor at sites I have been approached by tons of cops because I had to use my personal car. I told them I was a contractor and they said ok and left. Tell them you are taking pictures of the antennas for leasing.

22. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    You want to talk about being hassled...how about pulling in the shoulder next to a military comm. site to take a picture for a site survey. I was in a rental car with a GPS, Laptop, and Camera. The SP wasn't very friendly until I flashed my CAC.

23. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In this day & age, I am suprised they didn't shoot you. Especially after the incident here in NJ a couple of months ago.

24. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I have been to the Satellite Earth Terminal at FT Irwin in a Military Humvee with a Top Secret Clearance and have still been hassled.

25. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Attention Sprint/Nextel tower engineers: Please secure all gates at your cell sites. There's a strange man from California trespassing site property :lmao:.

26. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Privacy laws are not near as cut and dry as this, especially if the tower is within view of the public. Trespassing would be the biggest concern, but I've heard several good excuses to get around that on this thread! Privacy laws are fairly new and mainly left open to interpretation of the law and the first amendment. I remember hearing several stories and claims of people getting away without punishment for taking and possibly dispersing pictures taken through a window not obstructed by blinds.

Funny Story I found quickly