Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

alltel

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by dead zone, Sep 15, 2004.

1. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    how come alltel isnt on Long island or The new york area? I was recently in florida and alltel is pretty big down there... just wondering if anyone knows of why alltel didnt make it up here..every other company is here.

2. Dm112084

Dm112084 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It's basically a licensing issue. Alltel couldn't buy an 800Mhz license in the NY metro area and couldn't get a 1900Mhz license either. The closest area to NYC that they ever served was Pike and Wayne Counties in Northeast PA; they sold that off in 2000. At this point, even if they could get into the NYC area, it would be hard for them to offer service for a bunch of reasons. They would probably have to be at 1900Mhz only, which would automatically make them weaker. Their closest market to NYC is in VA, so they'd have to eat (or charge) roaming charges whenever people drove more than an hour from NYC. The fact that Alltel is virtually unheard of around here wouldn't help either. Since they sold off Pike and Wayne Counties in PA, the chance of them ever coming back as a wireless carrier anywhere near the NY metro area is remote, but they are a landline company in parts of Upstate NY.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ALLTEL is a regional provider. They don't have nationwide coverage. They do however have a large regional network. They have 8.3 million wireless customers making them the largest regional carrier in the US. Below is a map of their Wireless and Local Telephone coverage.

[​IMG]

4. waywith

waywith Junior Member

Same thing is true of US Cellular. Alltel is the 7th biggest Wireless Company in the US, and US Cellular is the 8th biggest. Both are regional carriers in that their licensed areas tend to be in clumps in specific regions.

US Cellular is the coverage king when it comes to Northern New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire) -- their network there is the most extensive of any wireless company. Verizon directly serves only a few cities there. But US Cellular says they have no desire to become a national carrier, instead they concentrate on being the best in their regions - Northern New England, the Midwest, the Northwest. I do know that in most of Northern New England, they have the biggest market share.

Like Alltel, US Cellular is owned by a landline phone company. But then, so is Verizon (55% at least).

-waywith

5. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    hmmm thanks for the info guys....