Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Verizon Merger

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Smooches91, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Smooches91

Smooches91 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    So, recently Alltel was bought by Verizon for 28 million. My contract is up in August 2008 and I don't want to sign on to a new 2 year contract because I don't know when the merger will finally be complete. I talked to an alltel rep. recently and they said sometime in November 2008. Can anyone confirm this as a fact or is still up in the air because that seems to short a time for a merger this big.

Thanks for the help!!!

2. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Alltel was not purchased yet, the deal hasn't closed, and hasn't been approved or reviewed.

I'm definitely going to renew my contract (which expires this September),
    so I'm good for at least another 2 years.

By the end of this year, the merger could be complete if all is approved.
    After that, the name on the bill will change, but the plans should not (you'll be grandfathered).

So IMO, stay with Alltel, you shouldn't worry about switching unless Verizon gives you trouble about honoring your plan.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    If it was me a would run month to month even after your contract is up. As soon as you here the DOJ approval the FCC is usually not far behind, then up the contract.

I seen a few people do this when AT&T bought out Dobson. Alot people wanted the $49 unlimited plan and re-up and got new phones.

The best benefit to waiting is you will have a fresh 2 year which Verizon will have to honor and you will have new phones. You here time and time again about people with older phones on an older companies trying to get newer phones to work. A prime example is old ATTWS customers buying unlocked phones off ebay to use on AT&T/Cingular. I could imagine its only harder on CDMA (especially the tight fisted handset cripplers)

4. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think VZW did a lot of leg work before announcing this merger (remember, we didn't hear about it until they pulled an all-nighter to wrap things up). They want to complete the merger before the administration changes, and have a good margin in case issues arise. So I think the November 2008 data that Smooches heard is probably about right, but I think its based on the same speculation we're doing here--I doubt the Alltel rep had any inside information.

I agree with RadioFoneGuy. Keep up with the news or the forums here until you hear DOJ approval, then renew. Go month to month until then. You'll also have a good idea if you're going to become a VZW customer or get divested to some undetermined company (likely AT&T).

People did the same thing with the SunCom/T-Mobile buyout in NC/SC, as SunCom had a good regional plan that was only going to get better with the coverage improvements T-Mobile is implementing.

5. Smooches91

Smooches91 New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thanks for the advice. Im think i'm gonna do the month to month until there is a better understanding of what is going on between the two companies.

6. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'm hoping nothing happens until after January to give me a chance to renew my contract to hopefully let me keep as many of the Alltel benefits I can until the possibility of another carrier making a move into this area. January is the soonest I can re-up and I've put a few phones aside to use if some disaster happens to my current phone. I want to avoid having to enter a contract with Verizon for as long as possible. I just hope that they don't give me any ESN issues since I've been able to use these phones with no problems on Alltel's network. I've heard that they are more sticky on those things than Alltel.

7. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Even though my Alltel contract expires this September,
    I'm currently eligible for upgrades/contract renewal, because I've gone 21 months.
    (less than 90 days left in my contract).

Alltel will let you upgrade if you go 1 year and 9 months into your 2-year contract.

This picture came up recently on My Account regarding when I'm eligible to upgrade our phones
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You can renew your contract any time you want. You just can't always get a special deal on a new handset.

9. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Great! I did not know that - thank you. I Figured I was screwed since my contract was up in April 09. I have a few phones tucked away so a new handset isn't a biggie.

10. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's not true. The only reason Alltel renews a contract is for equipment upgrades. They don't renew contracts for plan changes, etc.

One is eligible to renew their contract when they have 90 days/3 months left on their existing agreement (or less.) Alltel doesn't "stack" contracts, so you can only renew if you are out of contract (month-to-month) or within 90 days/3 months of your current contract.

2 people like this.
  11. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Just hang on and watch the news for the DOJ ruling--you may get lucky enough to renew AND get a new phone before all is done, considering the 21 month timeframe Kyle mentioned (Jan 09 for you).

12. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Incorrect. Alltel only uses Service Agreements in conjunction with purchase of phones/aircards at LESS than retail price. That is the ONLY was you would get a new 24 month clock started.

1 person likes this.
  13. zdoyle35

zdoyle35 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T (work),Alltel(personal)
    bikebryan....do you really think verizon is going to let us keep our old plans and grandfather them ?

if they dont let us keep my circle , I would be happy if they let us have our old plan plus verizon to verizon

also something a little encouraging verizon just started a program awhile ago were small biz customers can have free calling to up to 5 land line numbers at 5 dollars a piece

14. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If they'll deny a customer that calls up and wants to renew their contract, then its no wonder they are the ones getting bought out.

15. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Thanks Hooligan and Bryan - I thought that was the case. I will continue to cross my fingers for things to wait until after the first of the year. I hope that also so the Alltel employees aren't in an upheaval /time of change during the holiday season.

16. Ineedbars

Ineedbars New Member

If Verizon is buying Alltel, does that mean that the coverage area will change? I recently returned a Verizon data card to Verizon because I couldn't get a signal in my area. I got an Alltel data card which does get a signal. Is the signal issue something I should be worried about?

Ineedbars

17. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It sort of depends. If Alltel and Verizon both offer service in your area, the DOJ may require that the Alltel market there is divested, meaning that it would be sold to another wireless company. Your coverage area probably would not change if that were to occur, you'd just get notification that you were now a US Cellular, Sprint, etc. customer instead of being with Alltel or Verizon anymore.

If Alltel and Verizon both have service in your area but they don't have to divest the market, your coverage area could change if the combined company decides that they have too many cell sties in your area and they shut down the part of the network you're using.

More than likely, however, if you get signal with Alltel and not Verizon and Verizon doesn't have to divest your market when they buy Alltel, your coverage probably won't change.

Probably. I can't say 100%, though.

18. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I can say with almost 100% certainty that in areas where Alltel/Verizon overlap, IF the merger is approved they will HAVE to divest one service or the other. I've seen several situations like this and the overlaps have always had to be divested due to antitrust rules.

19. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It actually depends on the market saturation. In a market where there were several carriers operating, Verizon may not have to divest.

For example, Okahoma City. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Alltel and US Cellular all offer service. It depends on the combined licenses Verizon and Alltel would own once the merger was complete but I highly doubt Verizon will have to divest OKC.

Though, upon further reflection, AT&T had to divest their licenses in OKC when they were bought by Cingular (which is now AT&T but this is back in the days when they were separate companies, before Cingular changed their name to AT&T... confused yet? I am.) Perhaps Verizon will have to divest Alltel's licenses in OKC but who would buy them? The top six wireless companies (and a few smaller ones, I think) already offer service there.

20. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Overall IMO, in overlap areas, markets should be divested to companies with no service there whatsoever.

Markets that get divested to someone already there,
    will just have to get divested again to someone who is not there.

If my Alltel market gets divested to (for example AT&T),
    then AT&T WILL also be required to divest that same spectrum
    because they already have a whole lot of other spectrum here,
    along with a mature, well-built GSM network.

Alltel's PCS license in the carolinas should be divested instead IMO.

21. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Divestitures have to be approved by the DOJ. VZW couldn't divest to AT&T if that would put AT&T over any reasonable spectrum limits.

1 person likes this.
  22. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There are always exceptions. Alltel currently has dual cellular licenses in one CMA, and AT&T has dual licenses along the East coast of Florida. Competition is the primary criteria the DOJ must use to decide--it's not based on fairness and making sure everyone has coverage. The FCC will make its decision based on established policy--which right now does not preclude dual cellular licenses. Past divestitures will become less and less of a predictor due to more spectrum availability.

23. media4god

media4god New Member

Done Deal DOJ and FCC have both approved! Yes folks it's a DONE deal. In fact I was informed tonight that in our Mall in Marion IL that Alltel Agent is not longer in the Mall. So looks like things are starting to take shape for the November 2008 date that was talked about on this forum.

24. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Nope. More likely December.

25. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    From all posts and articles it looks like December 12th is the soonest anything can really happen. Until then it looks like they will be acting as 2 separate companies officially.

26. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Heck, in places where Alltel is being divested, but there's no immediate buyer, the Alltel name could go on for months. It's also unlikely that VZW will start on any major rebranding effort until next year.

I think getting new service or renewals in any acquired area is going to be quirky for a few months. Good luck to all who have to struggle with that. I feel sorry the most for all those divested customers. I think all current Alltel customers are going to start having roaming issues in the coming months until they're migrated to their new master. ;)

27. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hopefully not if we keep the same PRL.
    I'll never dial *228 again. ;)

28. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Good point.

29. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Or QPST the old PRL off of Corolada.

30. jessicanich

jessicanich New Member

i am a sales rep for alltel in east texas. we just got work that the FCC just approved the verizon-alltel merger, however that is only the first step. there are many many more steps before completion of the merger.

for any and all current alltel customers wondering how the merger will affect your cell phone plans: as long as you are in a contract with alltel BEFORE the merger, you are safe. if you for any reason change your plan AFTER the merger, you will be given a verizon plan and will lose your alltel benefits. being that verizon is absorbing alltel, as soon as the merger is complete, alltel will slowly diminish, if that is a good way to word it.

have a nice day and thanks for choosing alltel!! =)