Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Verizon merger FCC vote predictions

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by WirelessBeachBum, Oct 22, 2008.

?

I predict the FCC will:

Poll closed Oct 31, 2008.
  1. Approve the Alltel/Verizon merger as is.

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Block the Alltel/Verizon merger.

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Approve the merger but require additional divestures.

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Verizon will back out before the vote.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    With the FCC voting on November 4th concerning the Alltel Verizon Merger, what are your predictions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I got the feeling we will be assimilated but it would be nice if we weren't.

3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Hey great idea for a poll!

I voted for blocking the merger, as I feel it will hurt competition....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    I think the poll was to predict what will happen rather than vote what we hope will happen.

5. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I think the FCC will discuss the competition topic as well,
    and if all goes well with that, there is a good chance it will not go through, IMO.

6. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I have no clue what will happen. I just want it done.

7. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The reason for the push to get the through is to do it before the republican majority in the Fcc changes. Republicans are traditionally more favorable to property than people. Good chance this will pass, may need a few adjustments but most likely it will pass.

I'm kinda surprised Verizon didn't pull out then wait for the value of Alltel to crash and come back in and get it for a low price.
    This could go just about any way......

1 person likes this.
  8. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Hmm good points shango. If Verizon was smart they would clean up their act before they bought 13 million customers out of their loyalties to a decent cell company.

1 person likes this.
  9. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think there's a payout clause if VZW pulls out of the offer. If they did that only to try again at a lower price, I think the ill-will created would make the deal not worth it, and probably make Alltel's "owners" AND the FCC less likely to approve.

Also, isn't MOST of the purchase price set by the debt from the leverage buyout by TPG/GS? If so, its probably either 27 billion or no-sale. I think with the credit and economy issues going on right now, Alltel probably couldn't survive on its own if the private equity firms have to refinance.

I think TPG/GS see this buyout as the only way out. If they sell to anybody else, it would be at a major loss. I doubt anyone else can afford them even. If they have to refinance without a buyout, if credit can even be secured, then the cost of that refinance will probably be further debt burden on Alltel. If they can't refinance, then Alltel will probably have to be parted out at a major loss to cover the debt. That would leave whatever is left at a further disadvantage.

Basically, right now it sucks to have been the victim of a leveraged buyout right before the economy collapses.

From VZW's point of view, the buyout is still a major market advantage for the long run, even if its at a high cost. They are probably nearing the point when backing out may be the safer bet though. If VZW decides they only want a smaller portion of Alltel, they may wait until the divestiture limit is reached that prevents their back out payment. Then they can pick up some strategic pieces for cheap. More likely though is that VZW is hard at work arranging buyers for as many portions of Alltel as they can so that they only pay for what they want, and not all the baggage that they can't afford anymore. Plus, this way VZW picks who gets what.

10. jrichcable

jrichcable New Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I currently have alltel but i'm looking forward to the verizon/alltel merger for the availablity of new phones. Alltel does not have a great selection of equipment in my area and i think verizon will improve on that issue...

11. PTCO911

PTCO911 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Incredible
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I voted that the FCC will require more divestitures. I am riding the fence regarding the buyout. I would like the additional phone selection, but the uncerntainty of the plan prices doesn't bode well.