Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Verizon Device Transfer

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by spencerlinn, Mar 29, 2006.

1. spencerlinn

spencerlinn New Member

My Phone:
    RIM Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whorizon Wireless
    I recently obtained a Blackberry 7250. It happened to be an Alltel branded device, but both carriers work on 900/1800 CDMA. Once it arrived, I realized that the process of transferring it would proove very difficult.

Alltel does not try nearly as hard a Verizon to prevent the use of their phones on competitors' networks, so that did'nt seem like an issue.
    The problem is activating a phone with an ESN that isn't known to Verizon. *228 definitely does not work. ##000000 takes you to the CDMA service screen, where I tinkered (cautiously) with some fields. Still to no avail.

Any ideas on moving phones from Alltel to Verizon?

2. MidnightDT

MidnightDT Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    its most likely not possible however you can try to take it into a direct vzw store and have a tech look at it if they are able and willing to flash the device that may work. for a phone to work to be activated on the verizon wireless network it must be a CDMA capable phone with Verizon software loaded on it.

hope that helped..

3. spencerlinn

spencerlinn New Member

My Phone:
    RIM Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whorizon Wireless
    Thanks for the reply,

Certainly the device (Blackberry 7250) is CDMA compatible, both 900 and 1800, since that was the first reply I got on the phone: "Alltell is a very tiny company, and does not run on both frequencies." They do.
    I did actually take it in to a VZW store, only to have a techie tell me that the networks are "completely different", while I know that the two companies have roaming agreements. I know it's possible, but after tinkering with the CDMA service screen, I still haven't figured out how. The phone connects to the network, but redirects me to Verizon on every call. I'm sure that a simple reflash of the device at Verizon would work, but they don't seem willing to do that. Any ideas?

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Make sure you call Alltel and have them delete the ESN from their system.
    Then call up Verizon and say you want to add the ESN to Verizon's system for yourself, the people in the stores aren't very helpful...do you already have a line of service or are you getting new ones? They both run on the same technology and both run 800 and 1900 mhz frequencies. Don't tell them that it is an alltel phone unless they really pry. If they do ask and say it is not possible tell them you know that it can be done, and as a customer or especially a potential customer they should do it for you. Try to reach the techinal department of verizon's customer service. In the end it just depends on whether they are willing to do it, it definately can be done technologically.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts New Member

im trying to do the same thing right now (not with blackberry though), i have an kyocera se44 slider that i used last year with alltell and im trying to get it work with my verizon service.

what steps should i take?

thanks

josh

6. MidnightDT

MidnightDT Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    the problem with flashing a phone that was not aquired from VZW is that if the phone has some sort of virus worm or the like on it (im sure it doesnt you got it from alltel and im sure you arent trying to do anything malicious but it could be done) and the phone is flashed it can damage the computer that is handeling the flash. while thats unlikely and im sure you arent trying to do anything of that nature it has happened. and thats why the tech's are recluctant to flash a non vzw handset.

you can try what the above posters said however if you dont currently have a verizon wireless account they may not be able to get you to teir 2 for tech support. they will be like well what are we troubleshooting your not a customer right now ya know. You would need to deal with a store or telesales to get this done its unlikely tech support will be able to help you as you are not a current customer (unless you are then ya go for it) umm ya iv said to much ^_^

7. PaulieWalnuts

PaulieWalnuts New Member

anyone have any ideas? i took it to the tech at my local store and he said it sould work but after 3 trys he said he couldnt get it to work. do i need to call up alltell and delete the ESN first? could that be y it didnt work?

8. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, having the ESN in the Alltel system shouldn't affect the ability for Verizon to activate it. They should be able to reprogram it with your subscriber information because Alltel does not use SPCs/MSLs. Maybe it's like they say above, dialing *228 won't flash the Verizon PRL into your phone. Perhaps they can hard flash the PRL with a data cable at the office... if they're willing to do so.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MidnightDT

MidnightDT Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    ^ which they most likely are not willing to do so for the reason i posted above.

it sucks but you may have to purchase a vzw phone, you can get some for free and some really good ones for cheap like the E815 is 50$ last i checked, great phone.

10. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Maybe just call the tech support from a landline or another cell phone and tell them you want to change phones on your account just don't tell them it is an Alltel phone. Give them the ESN and they will help you transfer it over. If it doesn't work when they try it...well you may have to end up getting another phone.

11. spencerlinn

spencerlinn New Member

My Phone:
    RIM Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whorizon Wireless
    Well, I called Alltel first, to have them remove the ESN, but the tech told me that she couldn't do that because of the state the account was left in by the previous owner??? And she wouldn't tell me what that state was. Then I called a third (or fourth?) time at VZ and, after being sure I didn't have a tech I'd already talked to, asked to just "add" an ESN. So, I gave him the number, like the other times, no luck. VZW's system won't accept an ESN that isn't in their database, and since this was like a level ? techie, I finally got the answer I wanted: "Well, I know that since Alltel and Verizon run on the same network that this should work." We finally decided that it would be necessary to add the ESN to their database, even though it wasn't and original Verizon ESN. One more obstacle was that he needed the original seller to authorize it, since he seemed to be very suspicious, and likely thought I had stolen the phone. That's what the Alltel lady seemed to convey as well.

See what you get for trying to avoid a 2-year torture agreement???

12. MidnightDT

MidnightDT Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    id just get a new phone man you have 15 days to cancel if you dont like it, thats over two weeks and should be plenty of time to see if the service and phone are to your liking.

edit: btw even if you got your alltell phone working you would have to sign a contract to get promotional minutes, aka unlimited IN calling and unlimited Nights and Weekends.

13. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Before about 6 months ago it was very easy to use the Online ESN changer at VZW.com to switch your service over to any non-VZW CDMA fone. You would simply log in, enter the fone's esn, & then either *228-1 or just manual program the parameters ( home ID, MIN # ect).... Some People were even doing this with old analog bag/car fones .. After being told that they couldn't have their "digital plan/mins" on an analog fone, they would simply go online, change the ESN of their account & "bypass" VZW ....
    Now VZW must have the ESN in their database as a "VZW" approved fone or they will not allow your non-vzw fone on the system, nor will they "flash" a non-VZW fone to "Turn it into" the compatible VZW version. (Although you may get real lucky & get an employee willing to bend the rules ..).

They do have their reasons ...
    .. For example ... Mr. Customer takes his Alltel branded RAZR he got for $79 on ebay to a VZW store & ask them to "flash" & activate it, It looks OK & is charged up. The CS employee comes out of the back room & says that the fone somehow is now frozen/not working after trying to flash it, & doesn't know why & can't do anything about it .. Mr. Customer's 1st words are going to be "You busted my fone, & you owe me another RAZR .."
    Also, Other non-VZW firmwared/Branded fones have quirks that allow them to lock onto systems not in the PRL, & allow the customer to take advantage of roaming on some sytems that still show up as "free extended" on the bill, but that a real VZW fone would never "find" when it lost VZW service" ( The US Cellular Branded Nokia 3586i I used up to a few months ago allowed me to do this.) .....

14. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is a very, very good point. Who can know what will happen if you try to flash software from one carrier into the phone from another carrier. Alltel will not flash phones from other providers for this same reason, I think.

15. spencerlinn

spencerlinn New Member

My Phone:
    RIM Blackberry 7250
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whorizon Wireless
    The second trip to my local VZW store was incredibly productive, but started out with me getting the same mexican techie, but was a complete @sshole, and didn't want me to know anyhting. This is the same guy that told me that "Alltel is a tiny network" and "They're completely different networks", only this time after me calling VZW DataTechSupport, was brought to his knees by my awesome knowledge of CDMA networking technology (for a consumer, anyway!) and admitted that it could be done. He went to get Dave, and wouldn't you know, Dave submmitted a ticket to have the esn added to VZ's inventory, and that was it. No fuss, no muss, just got it done - and everything works. Well, not everthing works. I don't work. That's why I can't afford the $44 data connection. It took about 6 minutes to get the ticket in, and the next day the BB worked fine. Imagine that.

16. missing23

missing23 New Member

Can I keep my phone/ESN active until Verizon uploads it? Then call Alltel to cancel service...and call Verizon back to activate with the now uploaded ESN? Or can't Verizon even upload it if it is still active in Alltel's system?

Thanks.

17. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I did this with a Moto v60i several years ago and you're right...online, it's not possible. However, I call in to VZW on a landline and they were able to do it manually.

Then, I brought the phone into the store and they were able to flash it for me with VZW firmware.