Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel U - A few questions

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by boxermansr, Oct 21, 2006.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    I just signed up for pre-paid with Alltel, and I have a few quick questions.

I signed up for the pay-per-day option. I got nights and weekends, and
    unlimited sms for free, then took the unlimited calls to favorite number
    option.

Now, in regards to cost. They told me it was essentially 1.00 per day (the
    .75 plus .25) - I'd assume that will get me through 20 days of service
    (provided I use NO peak minutes) - is that correct?

Now, in regards to usage. I paid the 20.00 today, so say I use 50 peak
    minutes (at .10 each, correct) that'd be 5.00 taken out of the 20.00 I just
    paid, is that also correct?

The reason I ask, is the way the rep explained it (which I know is not
    true), is that I'd basically get 200 minutes per month (200 mins X .10 per
    min), would equate to the 20.00 I paid - I'm quite sure this is incorrect.

Nonetheless, I wanted to verify the information I got, was indeed incorrect.

Next, for some reason its saying I have 5000 SMS and 5000 night/weekend
    minutes, when the brochure says unlimited for both. Do they "say" unlimited,
    and just put a number on it, thus tricking you?

Also, nights start at 9:00 or 9:01, and end at what.. 6AM? If you start a
    call at 8:58, will the entire call be billed as peak, or does it span, and
    bill you 2@ peak and the rest as n/w? (I know Verizon uses spanned billing,
    and Sprint does not; I have had both carriers at one time or another, so
    know firsthand).

Next, what happens when the 20.00 runs out? Obviously I'll need to add more
    $ to the account, but say I add another 50.00. If I don't use all 50.00
    before my "cycle" ends, do I lose it all, or does the remainder carry over
    to the new cycle? If, and when the account does hit 0.00, how long do I have to add funds - for example, if after 20 days it gets shut off, can I wait
    until I get my next bill, and then pay? I plan to use this phone mainly at
    night, for texting, and for the number I designated to be able to call
    (outside of Alltel's network).

Also, are taxes or any other types of fees attached to the monthly costs? I
    was told that there may be state/local taxes, but no USF/911 etc fees (I
    don't really believe it, but nonetheless, wanted to find out).

Another thing the rep told me, was that if I decided in a few days, I wanted
    to switch to a "regular" plan, that I could, and that I would not need to
    sign a contract, since I already purchased the phone - is this legitimate,
    or is it more hogwash?

They also were, for some reason, unable to setup my MOC (most often called, I assume) number. They said they would do it on Monday. I tried to call CS to see if they could do it, but they said my number isn't in the system yet, since I just signed up, and that pre-paid was "closed" already for the day. If I call Monday, can I expect it to be working that day, so that I can use the phone to call the number I want as my MOC number?

If all of this boils down to being BS, then how long do I have before I can
    return the phone, and get my money back (I'd assume there's still some sort
    of 14-30 day guarantee, regardless of whether it's pre-paid or not).

Sorry for all of the questions. Hopefully someone can help me out and answer
    them for me, so I don't need to spend countless hours on the phone with CS
    asking. That pretty much sums up my barrage of questions. Hopefully someone with patience and knowledge can help me out, and lead me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot!

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    From what I understand you are correct. Some of the reps are really misinformed and the rep was probably thinking of the pay-per-minute prepay plans but those are 15 cents/min.
    If you go above 5000 on either one of those that's a ton of messages or N&W calling. But I'm pretty sure if they say unlimited they must backup unlimited. I wouldn't worry about it. Just give customer service a call if you ever have any problems.
    Nights are indeed from 9:01 pm - 5:59 am. I think the billing for a call that begins at 8:58 is determined by which market you are in. So I would give it a try but the first time you do it don't go over by too many minutes.
    You never lose money on your account at the end of a billing cycle. It gets carried over. I think if you run out of $$ on your account, you have something like 30-60 days to add money back onto it or the account is canceled.
    Not sure about this, I think everything is already included in your daily fee.
    This is true. You can take your pre-paid phone and convert it to a regular plan without a commitment. You are not getting the discount on the phone that you would with a 2 yr commitment so you can go to a regular plan without a contract.
    If it's entered into the system I think it's suppose to take effect immediately but I'm not sure. Just ask that question when you call on Monday. I do know when you make changes to MyCircle, changes take place at midnight.
    Alltel allows 15 days to return the phone. Everything can be refunded except the minutes/days used and the activation fee.
    No problem. I hope I answered most of them at least. Hopefully somebody else who knows a little more about pre-paid can chime in. I am a postpaid customer and just looked over the pre-paid plans not long ago because I was thinking about going in that direction first. But sorry if anybody corrects me because I provided misinformation. I hope it was a help.

3. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Thanks for the info. So I guess the only mis-communication was in regards to the amount of peak minutes I'd have included (which amounts to 0 in reality). I'm debating migrating over to a regular plan at some point anyhow. The phone only cost 20.00 more than the contract price anyhow, and 130.00 or so less than the straight up retail (I got the KRZR), so I guess being able to migrate over to a post-paid account later and not having to get in a contract is a good thing.

I'll see how my first month of usage works out, as I plan to mainly use it for n/w and the MOC usage.

Thanks again!

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Here's the disclaimer....

*Night minutes are Mon. - Thurs. 9 p.m. - 5:59 a.m. Weekend minutes are Fri. 9 p.m. - Mon 5:59 a.m. Minutes must be used each month and do not carry over.

Beware that you cannot port a U Prepaid number directly to contract even within Alltel. You would have to port it out into another system like Virgin Mobile or something, basically anything that isn't Tracfone or SimpleFreedom, and then port it into contract. Or get a new number. Something to do with the way your minutes are tracked every second that isn't compatible with contract. All prepaids have the same prefix for certain area codes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 strunke, Oct 21, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless

:) It will be unlimited, I think the computer just needs a number to count down from. :)

The N&W start at 9pm. I know contract accounts do the span. I have seen bills where the same call is put on 2 lines to show the changeover.

Because you are on PPD (pay per day) your "cycle" is every day. As long as there are enough funds on the account to cover your charges, your phone will continue to work. Otherwise, it will go to a "hold" status until you replenish again.

Any taxes will be collected when you replenish.

Not sure about the MOC number and a new account. I have talked to customers on the day their accounts have been opened and not had a problem. Also, MOC number updates are immediate instead of the nightly update contract accounts have.

Hope this helps you, too. :)

6. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Thanks for the additional replies. After weighing all of my options, and thinking it over; and the fact that I still have 7 months left with Sprint (I was supposed to be getting an ETF waiver, but they backed out, and it's not worth putting up a stink with 7 months left); I'm going to just return the phone.

I can indeed return the phone, under the 15 day satisfaction policy, is this correct? The back of the receipt states I have 15 days for equipment. It did make mention about pre-paid not being refundable (I assume this means the 20.00 paid as the initial start-up amount) - if that's the case, I'll hold on to the phone for a few days, and just use the phone during peak hours, and have it take from that balance.

It's not cost-effective for me to be paying for two wireless accounts (even if the alltel one is minimal).

So - can I in fact return the phone (I don't see why not), under the 15 day policy? Will I in fact be "screwed" out of the 20.00 I paid towards usage (this way I know I should use it all up before I return the phone).

Thanks again!

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I believe everything is refunded except the activation fee and the minutes used. I think the minutes used is what they refer to as being non-refundable. So if you have $15.00 left on your account when you return your phone, you get that $15 back in addition to the cost of your phone.

You could try this, try the phone out, see how the service is and how you like it. Then, you could switch over to the pay-per-minute plan. There is no daily fee and a minimum monthly usage of like 1 minute at 15 cents/minute. That way, you're basically paying as little as 15 cents/month for your 2nd line. If you like the service, you won't have to pay an activation fee in the future and you can get service from Alltel when your Sprint contract is up without having to enter into a 2 yr contract. Just a thought since it sound like you're looking to give up Sprint in 7 more months.:)

8. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS

Now that's not entirely a bad idea. If I went that route, would I have to pay anything to switch to the 15/min plan? Also, how much would I need to have, or carry in my account each month to keep it active (money wise).

I'm going to call the guy whom I signed up with and ask him what is, or isn't refundable when returning it either way. I know that Alltel is very good where I am, as I had it years ago. Sprints also getting the KRZR, so I'm debating getting it through them, if I do decide to get rid of the Alltel line.

9. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I'm fairly certain it wouldn't cost anything to switch to the 15 cents/min plan. It's sort of like changing your calling plan. It's free as far as I know, you've already paid the activation fee.

I'm don't think there is a minimum balance. But this sounds like another good question that you might want to ask the Alltel rep and I couldn't imagine it being over $3. But you don't lose any of that $$ from month to month either. You do have to use at least 1 minute/month (calling voice-mail one time or something) or I think $3 is deducted from your balance if you go a month without using it at all. So if you call your voice mail once a month in the middle of your billing cycle, you're basically keeping the line for 15 cents/month.

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yep you can change which prepaid plan you are on anytime you'd like no fee.

There is no minimum balance as long as it is above zero. You should use it at least 1 minute each month to avoid the non-usage fee. Which I think is 3 dollars for not using it for 60 days. But i'm not sure about the number of days. So I would do it every 30 days. It would elnd up being a lot cheaper that way, because you wouldn't spend anymore then you have. Just leave the remaining balance for 7 months you would only use $1.05 for the one minute call each month.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Well, went to return it today, only to be given 20 different stories as to why I can't.

First the system wouldn't return it at 269.99, it wanted to do it at 399.99. The girl wasn't able to figure out why, so she called a co-worker. Co-worker told her pre-paid can't be returned (mind you, I've had the phone not even 24 hours as of yet).

She then tells me that if I'd wanted to return it, I should have done it the same day I got it - funny, considering the store was already closed, and I was there a good 20 minutes AFTER they were closed, finishing up.

She then told me to come back tomorrow and talk to the manager, who most likely can't do anything either. It's funny because Alltel's website clearly states that if you're unhappy within 15 days, you can return the phone for a full refund (less charges for service used, etc).

It does NOT indicate anywhere that it does not apply to PREPAID. The receipt even says you can return the phone within 15 days. It does say that PREPAID SERVICE is non-refundable - the way I understand that, is that whatever USAGE you've already PAID for, is not refundable. It does not say PREPAID PHONES are not refundable, it says SERVICE.

Am I wrong in inferring it this way? Any suggestions? Anyone within Alltel I can contact?

12. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I would just go back tomorrow and talk to the manager. Chances are the people working on a Sunday aren't the most knowledgable or experienced and probaby didn't know how to handle any of that stuff.

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You can return it. That's crap. One thing about Alltel, although they are not alone, most in store reps are dumb. Just trying to sell. CS is much better at it then the stores. But it depends on who you get, it varies from store to store.

14. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Well I'm hoping it will all work out. If not, I'll be filing a complaint with the BBB. Since none of the literature I have states that the phone can NOT be returned, or is excluded from the 15 day satisfaction gurantee, I see no way they have a leg to stand on. The only reference to pre-paid states the service portion of it is not refundable, which is similar to post-pay, in the regard that you're liable for what you use (guess with pre-pay if you still have funds there, you lose them).

15. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Relax and take a deep breath. It was probably just a misinformed rep and I'm fairly certain that she was in now way following company protocol. I've never heard about anybody not being able to return a prepaid phone before. When you go to the manager tomorrow, just tell him/her you confirmed with Alltel customer service over the phone that you would be able to get a refund on the phone if you decided not to keep it. Every company has misinformed reps that hate their job and don't get everything right because they just don't care.

If worse comes to worse, just go to a different retail location. But if the manager won't do the exchange, then I can completely see why you'd be very upset and I wouldn't blame you.

16. FlaFyrFyter

FlaFyrFyter New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V557
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T?Cingular - Alltel
    I get a better or stronger signal strength when it is cloudy and raining outside than when it is clear and sunny , Why is that?