Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel tower contruction

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by TWX, Dec 28, 2006.

1. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Finally the people at Alltel did the tower construction to the tower. They are adding panels that are about 4-5 feet in lenght. and about 1 foot thick, does anybody think that they would be adding Ev-Do to this tower? I think their doing this construction to improve their Rogers City performance.

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Do you have pics?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, i will post some pics up soon, the weather's been crapy so I haven't been outside to much.

4. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member

if verizon buys out alltel, wouldnt they then hafta to convert all the towers owned by alltel? are they the same freqs. and mhz?

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If they were allowed to buy them, they are both CDMA carriers so technology wise they are the same (with the exception of any GSM Alltel uses for roaming abilities to Cingular/T-Mobile)

As for the frequencies, they would be the same since as of right now all carriers are either 850 or 1900 Mhz. depending on which license they got in different area's, so the phones would pick up the signals no problem.

It's basically the same as the Cingular/AT&T Wireless merger, they both were using the same technology, it's a matter of getting all the towers changed over to the main companies setup.

6. Rollindown95

When u say with the exception of GSM and roaming on cingy and tmobile, is that what alltel roams on when an alltel cust. is outta their area? i guess to better understand, i oughta ask what exactly GSM is in comparison to others, i mean i read the definition in the glossery, but it is still unclear to me.

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I will try this the best I can for you.

Basically GSM and CDMA are 2 different technologies, GSM is used in a lot of other countries and mainly in Europe. Cingular & T-Mobile are the 2 main users in the US with GSM.

CDMA is mainly used in the US, but is growing in other countries as well & is big in China if I remember correctly. Verizon, Sprint & Alltel are the bigger users of it here in the US.

Alltel also has some GSM in the more rural area's where Cingular & T-Mobile don't really have many or any towers, so they work out roaming agreements with Alltel to provide coverage in these area's.
    Usually Alltel customers will roam on Verizon or Sprint's networks, when the customers are out of their coverage area's & can not roam on GSM towers due to the different technologies.

Of course you could go into Analog & TDMA technologies, but since they are working on being shut off, it's not as important to worry about.

I hope this helps you understand the difference a little bit better, It gets a lot more technical & if you do a search here, there are threads that break everything down even more.

8. Rollindown95

9. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Here is the close up of the new panels on the Alltel tower, I think it is just for capacity, or are these Ev-Do panels?????????????????

[​IMG]

10. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    [​IMG]

There is a pic of a guy climbing down the tower, I guess he was looking at the panels?

11. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    whoops, sorry about that, the picture didnt come up.