Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel service in Miami

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by roammaster, Apr 26, 2006.

1. roammaster

roammaster New Member

To any who can help me, I am thinking about switching from Cingular to Alltel service but will be moving to Miami in a month and realize that Alltel has no native towers there. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Alltel's coverage in the Miami area and if I would be able to have Alltel as my permanent carrier despite it being a roaming area. Thanks!

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, at least 50% of your usage must come from within the Alltel home coverage area (Alltel's native towers.) You wouldn't be able to reside in Miami and have Alltel as your carrier.

Probably in Miami, you'd want to go with Verizon, since that is who you'd be roaming on with Alltel, anyway.

Other choices in Miami, FL include T-Mobile, Sprint/NEXTEL, Cingular and Metro PCS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Alltel doesn't have native service in Miami?

I am surprised about that.

If you want an advanced data network (3G), I would suggest looking at either Sprint or Verizon. I haven't tried them in Miami, but my friend lives in Sunrise, Florida, and he uses Sprint along the east coast (mainly Ft. Lauderdale and Miami), and has no problems. I have traveled from the west coast of Florida along Alligator Alley with Verizon about a month or so back, and went to Ft. Lauderdale and the service was excellent for the entire trip to the east coast and back to the west coast of Florida (except I had a couple problems making calls inside Sawgrass Mills (in Ft. Lauderdale)).

Remember to use carriers trial periods to determine the areas where it works best, and the areas you travel to and from the most.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Verizon is an excellent choice overall in the Miami area for sure.
    Sprint may also be worth looking into- both have EVDO service up if you're interested in that.

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Alltel is still mostly a rural carrier, although they have service in such metropolitan areas as Albuquerque, Phoenix and Omaha. I was not at all surprised to learn they do not have native service in Miami.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I think that Cingular holds both Cellular Band licences in the Miami area, and ALLTEL has no PCS licenses there either to work with so they don't offer service there, or can't.