Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel roam on Sprint

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by pepster2, Aug 11, 2006.

1. pepster2

pepster2 New Member

My Phone:
    razr v3c
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel
    Hello:':
    Was in a store that sells Alltel today. Lady there says Alltel does not roam on Sprints network. Said they only roam on Verizon. She said Sprint will roam off of Alltels analog, Any truth to that? Had wondered since there is a 8 mile stretch near me that Alltel goes out but sprint will work. Thought if Alltel roames on sprint they would jump to sprint network, Just wondering Does Alltel roam on Sprints digital network for free?

2. djjim

djjim Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Yes, they is suppose to be free roam on Sprint under prl 606 which is currently being pushed out now. Alltel roams on a lot more carrier than Verizon including USCC, Cingular amps and many regional CDMA carriers. Sometimes it's free roam, sometimes it's not. I believe Alltel is suppose to be free roam on Sprint nationwide under prl 606.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Alltel's two largest roaming partners are, as you'd expect, Sprint and Verizon. AFAIK, any Alltel customer on a National Freedom plan can roam on any Verizon and any Sprint SID without incurring roaming charges.

On these SIDs, as an Alltel customer, your phone will flash roam, meaning your are on the extended network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Agreed with Moto....when I looked through the PRL it seemed like every Sprint/Verizon system I know was free roam... And Moto knows what he's talking about when it comes to ALLTEL. ;)

5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    She is wrong, don't ever trust the in-store reps when it comes to techincal issues, or relatively new information. You can roam free on all USCC, Cingular analog, Verizon, and Sprint towers...there may others as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Be careful everyone. You can roam free on most all USCC, Verizon, Sprint towers. It depends on where you are. Here in Charlotte, NC we do not have access to the Sprint network at all. The sid for Sprint here is marked neg. Although I believe that will change under prl 606. We can roam free on Verizon here. I have also been to places where Verizon and Sprint have been free roam and Ussc had been Roam but that may have been under my old prl 1205.

7. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sprint PCS SID 4376 in Charlotte, NC is included with the National Freedom plan.

8. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I just looked at prl 206 and didn't notice any free roam cingular networks. I'd believe the verizon and sprint part. I have forced my phone over to Vzw and sprint networks listed as NEG in the prl and have yet to be charged roaming.

9. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    MIAMI, FL, DALLAS, TX, DENVER, CO, ORLANDO, FL, JACKSONVILLE, FL, AUSTIN, TX, SAN ANTONIO, TX, CORPUS CHRISTI, TX, DAYTONA BEACH, FL, LAWTON, OK, MELBOURNE, FL, HENDERSON, TX, BEEVILLE, TX, LAKE COUNTY, FL, LAREDO, TX, FLORIDA KEYS,FL, NORTH KEY LARGO, FL, VERO BEACH, FL, FLAGLER, FL, BOWLING GREEN, VA, UVALDE, TX, KINGSVILLE, TX, COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, FT COLLINS, CO, GREELEY, CO, VICTORIA, TX, VAIL, CO, JONESBORO, AR and HOUMA, LA are all Cingular SIDs included in the Alltel National Freedom plan.

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    See Moto's post, it will be in the new prl also. They just signed a contract with sprint and cingular. Alltel gets highspeed evdo sprint coverage, sprint gets rural data 1x coverage, along with voice for both. And signed a deal with Cingular for their GSM customers to roam on Alltel's GSM network out west and Alltel to roam on Cingular/At&t's amps/analog towers.

How dare you question me!!!!!!!! :p :) hehe

11. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    How come I have never been succesfull in forcing my nam2 to sprint here in Charlotte. I have no problem forcing to Vzw, but I have never been able to force to Sprint?!?!?!? :headscrat :headscrat :headscrat

12. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yup...I just tried to force to 4376 and once I hit *228 I lost service and the phone is non-stop searching????

13. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    FOUND IT! Told ya' so..Told ya' so! :p

04376 PCS NEG Sprint PCS
    SCAN 325D 350D 375D 725E 750E 775E 1025C 1050C 1075C
    MTA006D Charlotte, NC-SC-GA
    BTA074A Charlotte-Gastonia, NC
    BTA141A Fayetteville-Lumberton, NC
    BTA174A Greensboro--Winston-Salem--High Point, NC
    BTA368A Raleigh-Durham, NC

http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/alltel/at_00206.htm

14. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    These Cingular SIDs are now all free roam? In PRL606?

I'm carrying the 100 free-to-roam minutes option on my Alltel plan, because I have one son in San Antonio with an old StarTAC. I was afraid that if the StarTAC dropped to analog and he made a call, I would be charged roaming. Are both analog SIDs for the San Antonio market included? Cingular has both A and B bands there, since the ATTWS purchase. These SIDs were always $ roaming in the past. If these SID's are now free roam, I can save myself $10/month.

royc

15. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It should be yes, but wait until his prl is updated. Can you do that on a StarTAC? lol. Yes this should save you 10 dollars a month assuming all Cingulars SIDs are included, which i believe they are.

16. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It should be available in the next prl, 606.

17. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Depends on what StarTAC it is... if it's a CDMA 7868 or 7868W, then the PRL can be updated to 606, if it's an AMPS-only StarTAC 3000, then no, there is no PRL that can be updated.
    All the SIDs I mentioned above are with the rollout of PRL 606, I don't know how many of them were included with 206.

18. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Not me, the billing system. I got hit with roaming on cingy two weeks ago. I was in San Diego (and yes I was playing around with nam 2 :whisper:).

19. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh that stinks...I've put mine onto VZW and Sprint but haven't tried any others. I believe after this new PRL you may be able to do that without the charges though...or maybe it is only for certain areas for Cingular.

20. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    You can roam free on all USCC, Cingular analog, Verizon, and Sprint towers...there may others as well.

Not a true statement. Not all USCC and Cingular is free roam. Very little cingualr is and a few sids for USCC is. There will be some areas where Verizon and Sprint are negative in the phone. Although you would not pay to use it, it is areas where we overlap. We of course do not want you using someone else when we are in the exact same area.

21. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wouldn't it be different now? Alltel signed an agreement with Cingular involving alltel's gsm and cingular's analog. It seems Alltel should have at the very least found the areas where they do not have any coverage but att/cingular does and make that part of the agreement and make it free roam. If not then why even bother signing the agreement?

22. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, Beyond Wireless GSM
    How does this affect U prepaid?

23. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    no affect on pre-paid. I made a post on another thread. the agreement was mainly so that cingular could roam on alltel's gsm overlay from western and midwest wireless. it was not intended for alltel customers to use. alltel does get a discounted roam rate but no where near the verizon deal. sprint gave alltel a great rate as well. the sprint deal will allow alltel customers to use 1x and evdo on sprint when alltel and verizon are not available in that area. cingular, with just a few exceptions, will be pay roam to alltel customers.

24. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    BTW moto, customer service reps seem to never understand why a caller was charged on a SID and you seem to know your SIDs pretty well..... ever thought about crossing the fence? ;)

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well when i was in Williamsburg, VA my Sprint phone roamed off of Alltel's digital network......

and question....wat are PRLs???

and also how do i force my mom's phone to roam on certain networks......she has a Smasung A640 and i can tell it to roam only but i can't decide which network to roam on....does this phone support 2 NAMs???

26. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    PRL is Preferred Roaming List

It is what tells your phone how to roam and what systems to roam on.

27. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh yes, many times, I just don't want to move to a Tech Support call center. Wish they had that department here but alas, they do not.:(

28. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    There is always El Paso or Little Rock.. just at El Paso you have to speak Spanish as well as English and just think of all that good drink across the river

29. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was told that this was the case but I wanted to double check it...if you are in an area serviced by Alltel 1x, slow 1x at that :) , and Sprint EVDO is available. Will your phone use Sprint EVDO over the Alltel 1x?

30. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alltel 1x. the phones PRL will always prefer alltel. if you try to force it to sprint in an area like that, billing will charge roaming since the billing tables are in line with the PRL knowing that you should not hit that system