Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel RAZR VE20 issues

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by chucklesjh, Oct 15, 2008.

1. chucklesjh

chucklesjh New Member

Okay, so last weekend, my family renewed their contract with Alltel and I picked up the new RAZR VE20 "Vegas". I was rather excited because it is a really nice phone and it only cost me 50 bucks, a huge upgrade from my V710. Originally, I wanted a certain LG phone but apparently it was discontinued. Anyway on with my problem.

I have Motorola Phone Tools from when I had my V710, I would transfer / backup my ringtones, phonebook, images, videos and whatnot. Well, I can do all that with my VE20 but the ringtones. I managed to send some sounds to my phone over bluetooth but they just sit in the sounds folder and I cannot set them as ringtones. I first called Motorola and they said I had to call Alltel about my issue.

I called Alltel. They decided to tell me that Alltel had elected to remove transferring of music/ringtones over bluetooth as it "is illegal in the US and were required by govt to change" (BS?). I then proceeded to tell her that I could, in fact, transfer music over bluetooth to my phone but not set it as a ringtone, she then shut up. I then asked if I would be able to do this with a USB cable and then she gave me the whole government crap again saying that alltel has taken away the ability to do this. I said "thanks for disabling what I paid for" and hung up.

Somewhere in there, I also mentioned that my mother and brother have two BRAND NEW samsung phones and can transfer ringtones extremely easily with the built in bluetooth features in Windows and Mac, and she didn't have a response for me at that point either.

She was probably the least helpful individual I've ever spoken with. I'm assuming I will be able to SEEM edit this phone when I get my USB cable in the mail (if it ever does). Essentially it looks like Alltel adopted everyone else's policy of locking down their phones. I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions.... I've SEEM edited a few V3's in the past, just wondering if it'll be the same or if the offsets will be different.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Also, I noticed the lack of a MobileIM application (which is available on EVERY other phone), that's kind of fricken irritating.

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (Opera Mini on Alltel HTC 6800: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.1.11355/786; U; en))

Yes a few months ago Alltel locked down the ability to use your own ringtones on most phones, I'm not sure if they had "fair use" concerns, but I'm sure the potential lost revenue was the primary concern.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chucklesjh

chucklesjh New Member

Thanks for the reply! Do you think I can rectify this with a seem-edit? I'm assuming it should be similar to the V3 seem edits.

4. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    when i had this prob, i transferred from V3a to VE20. Alltel told me my best bet was to redownload my tones and then call c/s to reimburse me....which they did.

5. ddschmidt

ddschmidt New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Ve465
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    What I Do is this:
    1. Get RSDLite 4.4.1 (or MSU if it works for you) and install it(make sure it is a .msi file)
    2. get the newest version of P2K Commander (5.0 or higher works) and enable autostart
    3. Once you have both installed, open either RSDLite or MSU and then plug in the phone.
    4. It should read it and then the autostart will attempt to read the phone (mine has a memory card in it so it comes up as a memory card device, I don't know if you have one or not so it may come up different)
    5. Start P2K Commander and let it fully load(don't worry if autostart isn't reading the phone, it will still show up)
    6. in the drop down menu where it lists the folder you are in, drop down to a/P2K Phone system and click it.
    7. Now click the RE-Read (or refresh) button next to it and it should start to read the phone (you will know if it is reading it if you see the file a/ loading in the lower left corner and you have the wait message in the middle of the screen)

All of the programs you will need can either be Googled or found at howardforums wiki site.

Hope this helps!

Also if you want to bluetooth ringers into the my_ringers folder, you can edit this seem in p2kseem

Seem 2742 Record 0001
    Offset 00b8(look for this at the top, just keep trying until you find B8 and make sure it is)
    Bit 0 - Off(make sure to remove the check mark by it)

just save to phone and ur good to go
    this seem unlocks bluetooth and allows you to put tones in the folder.

6. horseyfellow

horseyfellow New Member

i still have some problems too, ok now i worked for months to figure out how to get ring tones and i have finally figured that out but some problems still allude me. so i bought a sd card the other day and i bluetoothed songs to my phone from my mac but the only song that actually went to the music player is collide by howie day and i dont know why or how it did and i dont know why or how my other songs arent. there is no obvious option to add them to the music player from what i can tell. so please help. also i have seen in reviews that a phone had different buttons for the three touchscreen options on the front how is this possible to change?

7. carolinagrl30

carolinagrl30 New Member

If they are in your sounds send the sound to yourself via text and most will go to your ringtones ;)

this trick works on most alltel phones, or if they are sent from someone with the same phone.