Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Prepaid vs. AT&T/Cingular Prepaid

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Yahoo!Man, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless (TDMA) - Free2Go Wireless
    Well currently i have AT&T Free-2-Go TDMA Prepaid Servie Nationwide

AT&T is GREAT (for now at least)

Floirda the state which i reside in has rock solid coverage and i get coverage in other states where i need it

I have .25 cents per minute

free incoming txt and .10 outgoing

nationwide coverage

no activation fee

90 days from activation until expiration

but... i am worried... i do not know what is going to happen when Cingular fully aquires AT&T will i have Cingular prepaid rate plans (which i do NOT want)... will they respect my AT&T plan... will i get better coverage... will they startup GSM... will they have double the coverage because they will be combining the two networks... what is going to happen :confused:

TRUST me i have had cingular KIC back in 2003: paying .35 per min peak (daytime which i usually talk) and .10 per min nights (which start at seven don't usually talk)
    (i switched to that after having to pay the old rates of .50 per min for state only coverage and .85 per min for national covergae on AT&T) but then switched back to AT&T cause of all the positives above in 2004 and it has been great. :)

or should i switch to Alltel Prepaid (my cousins have it and it works great for them) the only thing i do not like it there $35 activation fee but i can buy the Nokia 3585iv for $75 and this includes phone and activation... .35 per min... seperate anytime mins and night and weekend mins on some plans... they have the coverage more consitrated covering the majority of the southeastern states than AT&T (AT&T = "stringy" coverage - which is a downfall) and best of all they have a newer technolidgy (CDMA)... and your minutes never expire as longs as you use at least one every month (HUGE plus)... doesn't have voice mail (not a big deal)... perfect for emergancy use (that is mainly what i would use it for)... also has .10 cents outgoing and .2 cents incoming for txt messages... also i would need an out of area number unless i could port my AT&T number to them :biggrin:

So PLEASE share any thoughts, expieriances with ALLTEL anywhere in the US or AT&T Free-2-Go

Thanks, Yahoo!Man

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    HI, JUST TRYING TO GET SOME ANSEWER HERE
    >> READ POST BELOW <<

PLEASE post all expeirences and comments about Alltel Prepaid and AT&T Free-2-Go Wireless

>> READ POST BELOW <<

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sabre252

sabre252 Member

hey,

i'd reccommend the ATT go phone, if you want to get away from CDMA, and move on towards GSM, the go phones have similar features to yours (prepaied, etc.) and works on GSM. when i went into the ATT store to ask about them, they said u should get the same coverage with their GSM phones as you get with their CDMA phones (except in extremely remote areas). he also claimed that Cingular would continue to honor theese rates and users after the merger (I dont know if this is true or not, I think he was more interested in selling me the phone, than telling me the truth)

anyway have a look...(www.attwireless.com/gophone)

-- Sabre

4. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Currently i have AT&T Wireless Free-2-Go TDMA Nationwide and was considering switching to CDMA Alltel Prepaid

ok, got it know?

any expieriances or thoughts

5. sabre252

sabre252 Member

yea.. i "got it" the first time

i'm tryin to get the point across that in a few yrs CDMA will be dead, its not worth keeping it in my opinion, especially if you can switch from one prepiaed service to another within the same company, one that may be willing to even transfer your balance....

6. sabre252

sabre252 Member

btw, in case u were confused before the Free-2-go phone, and the GoPhone are NOT the same

7. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I Do Not Have Cdma

I Have Tdma (ATT FREE 2 GO)

I Want Cdma (considering Alltel Prepaid)

I KNOW GO PHONE AND FREE 2 GO ARE DIFFRENT

8. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    AT&T GSM has significantly less coverage than AT&T TDMA, and GoPhone has less coverage than AT&T GSM postpaid plans.

Here in the Southeast there are *huge* areas, especially in south GA, east TN, and western NC, where there is nothing but AMPS and CDMA and maybe TDMA and where all GSM-only phones (GoPhone, AT&T postpaid, Cingular, T-Mobile) are D-E-A-D (and where even Cingular GAIT phones have poor or no coverage.)

-SC

9. sabre252

sabre252 Member

whats the point? their both dead in a few years max?
    if you really want CDMA that badly try Virgin Mobile, they have some neat phones, and work on the sprint network, which i belive is CDMA

10. sabre252

sabre252 Member

I was under the impression that the ATT GSM coverage (atleast) was the same for postpaied, and prepaied... i know there are diffrences between what is "roaming" and what isnt, but the coverage is exactly the same according to the ATT rep i talked to

11. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    never heard of ATT postpay

what is it about?

so you are saying Verizon and Sprints networks will be dead in a few years cause they have CDMA ?

12. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T doesn't let GoPhones roam quite to the extent they let postpaid phones do, at least in areas where AT&T has coverage. Here in Atlanta, AT&T postpaid phones can roam on Cingular in most places, while GoPhones can't, at least in the immediate area. (Both postpaid and GoPhones will roam on Cingular in exurban areas, the north GA mountains, etc.)

-SC

13. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Postpay/postpaid = regular contract plans

-SC

14. sabre252

sabre252 Member

gotcha... i was only asking about the NE where i live, cingular doenst have much presence here, so cingular roaming donest matter to me....

as to the CMDA comment-- CDMA is now an obsolete technology, that is only held on to becuase there are so many users in america using it, i belive that within the forseeable future sprint and verizons existing networks will be dead, their going to evnetually be forced to move to GSM (or the current technology of hte time) CDMA is just to limited for some 3G applications, and I cringe to imagine 4G on C/TDMA it just wont happen (IMHO)

15. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Help !!!!!

I Need Some People To Tell Me Their Experiances With Alltel Prepaid Or With Att Free-2-go

Please Help Me

Thanks

16. BKKloppenborg

BKKloppenborg Member

My Phone:
    LG F9100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM (1 yr), Verizon wireless
    ok i had AT&T Prepaid for about one Month before i quit. First i hate the way they set up thier prepiad. Second the CS is really horrible. Last i HATE TDMA, it sounds horrible and reception is horrible. I used to have them and tryed to travel and didn't get **** for service. So i would rule them out but its up to you.

17. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have do DISAGREE with you currently i have AT&T TDMA in FL and VA and have GREAT coverage... you probably live on the fringe of their service area

BUT TDMA AMERICA FROM ATT HAS THE BEST COVERAGE OF ANY COVERAGE OF ANY TECHNOLIDGY OF ANY CARRIER IN THE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have great reception and can understand the people on the other line GREAT :)

18. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Explain how a more spectrum-efficient, faster data rate, lower latency technology is obsolete, especially since UTMS a.k.a. 3GSM a.k.a. wCDMA is CDMA-based.

19. sabre252

sabre252 Member

prehaps I was not clear enough, i mean that the current form of CDMA, that such carriers use as Verizon, are not obsolete, GSM (yes a CDMA deriviative) is the future, it is a more advanced form of CDMA

20. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Um...oh boy. Let me help you. The upgrade path for GSM = CDMA. Verizon/Sprint go 1xrTT to EVDO to EVDV. At each step. GSM goes to WCDMA to UTMS (Which I belive is CDMA air interfaice.

Please remeber, GSM is a set of Standards. CDMA is an air interface, and all the GSM upgrades incorperate CDMA air interface.

Questions?

21. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes. How is CDMA2000 (the current incarnation of CDMA technology in the USA) obsolete?

22. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Its not. It works..PERIOD anmd with ANY kind of networking, wireless or not THAT is what matters.

23. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I currently have the Alltel Prepaid (NOT simple freedom)with text and the seperate night and weekend mins; I am in Tallahassee and the service is great. I would like to warn you that the phone will work ONLY where Alltel has a tower(i.e. NW FL, Jacksonville, along the west coast of FL). Also, if you are in2 other features like voicemail or caller ID, you have to pay for it. But you get 3-wayand call waiting included already. If you want coverage and use few mins, wait it out or try some other company.

24. raderator

raderator New Member

I too had ATT/Cingular TDMA Free-2-go. Great rural coverage, pretty cheap. But since TDMA is being phased out soon I just switched to Pay Plus Cellular (Verizon). Review here: http://www.cellguru.net/page_plus.htm
    Office site http://www.pagepluscellular.com/index.aspx

I got an Audiovox 8615 (Verizon Inpulse) phone at Wally World for $80 ($20 cheaper than Best Buy). Nice phone http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone=474

Activation can be had on ebay for $7 w 100 minutes (fast and easy). You can buy time there too, $25/200 minutes (TWICE as many as free-2-go) and they last 4 months! Or buy as little as $10/70 mins if you want. But they charge for leaving VM and 8 cents per SMS.

Walmart has other Inpulse phones too, a Moto camera phone for $110 and a very cheap Nokia but it's not tri-mode (no analogue roaming).

Looks like Verizon coverage is very good in FL http://www.pagepluscellular.com/maps/images/south_florida_loc.gif
    I'd say get a Vox 8615 at Walmart like I did. Even the checkout girl wanted one when I told her how cheap Page Plus was.