Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Prepaid-need to choose a phone! Moto E815, LG AX245, or Moto W315

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Kubla, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Kubla

Kubla New Member

I'm planning on signing up for Alltel Prepaid soon, and I'm trying to decide on a phone. I'm considering the Motorola E815 ($129.99), LG AX245($79.99), and the Motorola W315($49.99).

I'll be using the phone in SE Minnesota, and doing a lot of traveling to the Rapid City, SD and Jackson, WY areas. I'm most interested in the LG AX245 and the Motorola E815, as I would like to have a camera phone. In my research I've found a lot of information on the E815, but not so much for the LG AX245. Some of the areas in SD (Black Hills) and WY that I'll be in will tend to have poor reception due to the terrain, and I'm also curious about the necessity of having analog capability (the LG AX245 and Moto W315 both are tri-mode phones). I'm concerned that many areas in the southern Black Hills (near Custer, Hill City, and Mount Rushmore) may have better analog coverage than digital coverage.

So what would everyone recommend? Cost is a concern, and I'd really like to save $50 by going with the LG over the E815. But, if the reception of the E815 is going to be vastly superior to the LG, I guess I'd rather spend the extra money.

Thanks much!

2. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    The E815 is an outstanding phone for reception. It is definitely worth this difference in cost. The people I know who have LGs (various models) lose reception in places that my E815 is still working fine.

I would not be concerned about analog capability. It is not well maintained anymore and even if you get a signal you might not be able to make a call. Given the areas you plan to travel I suggest you get the very best digital phone you can which is the E815.

3. Kubla

Kubla New Member

After a little more research, I dug up these bits of info:

and

Those posts are from this June 2006 thread. Is this likely to be an issue for me? And if so, would the W315 or LG AX245 be better in that case?

4. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The e815 is my phone of choice among those but the w315 isn't bad for a basic phone. I like mine a lot, though the screen isn't the best.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    That has most likely been figured out by now. They wouldn't continue selling it for prepaid if it was. The problems were more data/PRL related then actual voice reception. The E815 would be the best choice out of those.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    I agree. Also free roaming on Sprint has been added to Alltel U since last June so the odds of paying the roaming rate instead of the 15 cent per minute rate are reduced even more.