Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel or Verizon

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by christl, Dec 27, 2007.

1. christl

christl New Member

We currently are under contract with Alltel - no major issues except terrible reception in our home. Apparently we are in a "dead area". My husband, son, and I have phones which we use mainly to contact each other and use for long distant. My son uses text messaging quite frequently. My husband's employer offers a discount through Verizon so we were thinking about changing carriers. My son and I fell in love with the "Chocolate" phone. Today we visited Alltel again and looked at the Family Circle plan which now makes Verizon's discount a "wash". Phones there that we liked were a Z26 (?) and an LG phone that looks similar to a Razor. Any suggestions on which company is the easiest to work with, provides the best coverage in Nebraska, etc.... Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. radiotech1713

radiotech1713 New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular(Both Phones)
    What Part of Nebraska are you?

Verizon only cover Lincoln and Omaha Metro's area with their own network. They rely on Alltel for the rest of the state.

Here is a link for coverage map of Verizon.

Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless

Sorry, I can't help you with the Verizon service. Hopefully someone call fill that in.

3. Sailorcancer

Sailorcancer Member

My Phone:
    Moto Z XT1650-03
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My family went from Alltel to Verizon. And we enjoyed the service we got at the store, they even worked with us past store closing to make sure we were all set.

If you want Verizon has a trail version for 30 days. Try that, and if you don't like it then you can just go back to Alltel.

4. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    You didn't say which phones you are currently using. That might make a big difference in reception at your house. For example, the LG phones on average don't have as good of reception as the Motorolas and some of the Samsungs. Changing phones might help your issue.

As radiotech1713 pointed out, Verizon has very little native coverage in Nebraska. You should probably put your zipcode into the Verizon Wireless website and see if they even sell service where you live. If they do, try to have a friend who uses Verizon come to your house and make a couple of test calls. Nothing beats a real life test in these kind of decisions.

Lastly, if you do go with Verizon, keep in mind that when you drive out of their coverage area into a roaming one while on a call, your call will likely drop. Most carrier to carrier handoffs don't work very well. Since Alltel has coverage all over Nebraska, this issue is not as likely to come up except for driving into dead zones.

5. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Just to fill in a helpful point, view the state of Nebraska (or just a smaller area within Nebraska) on the Verizon coverage map, then switch the map from "Voice & Messaging" to "Prepay" and refresh the map. The prepay map shows native Verizon coverage without showing roaming on alltel and US Cellular. It's a pretty drastic difference how much coverage alltel provides in Nebraska vs. Verizon. And as music4praise mentioned, handoffs between networks often result in dropped calls and areas where the signal is too weak to make a call but too strong to switch to a roaming network.

From everything that I've ever read, Alltel coverage is rarely beaten in Nebraska. US Cellular just inherited the Western Wireless network not long ago and is working to improve it, and is now the primary roaming network for Verizon. For this reason, I really think the odds are that Verizon will provide you with worse service than you are experiencing now. Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T just serve around Omaha and Lincoln and are PCS providers, which are rarely able to provide the best coverage if you live in a fringe area. If you live around those areas and know anybody with any of those providers, you may want to ask to see how they do in your area. As for customer service, in my dealings alltel has been far better to work with than Verizon. But everybody has their own customer service experiences and so much depends on who works at your local store and how nice (or how big of a jerk) the rep you see is. But I do think I can fairly state that Alltel and Verizon both generally have decent customer service. I probably see the most complaints on here for Sprint and At&t.

As for the alltel phones you said you liked, I think the Z26 you mentioned, is actually the Motorokr Z6M slider. That is definitely the one I would go with as having a better signal than the LG 8600 (the Razr looking LG) or the LG Chocolate. Motorolas are just the best at picking up a signal in fringe areas. I've seen the Rokr be a good 2 bars better than an LG Wave or an 8600 in a couple places.

Also, do you get any service outside of your home? If so, you may be able to amplify the signal so that you can use your phones inside. MaximumSignal and several others on this forum, are very helpful in such matters.

6. radiotech1713

radiotech1713 New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular(Both Phones)
    Thanks UFO for the update and pointing out the tips.

On the US Cellular, I have used them for about 1 1/2 years and have had good results state wide. I think they do a 30 day test drive of their services.

Good luck.

7. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    When I had Alltel and traveled in NE with friends that were using Verizon, the Alltel seemed to work better. In the Omaha and Lincoln metro areas, the Alltel had better reception, especially at the airport. If the plans are somewhat equal, my advice would be to continue with Alltel, unless of course you live in an area that is better covered by USCellular. The option to have 7pm Nights and Weekends is available with Alltel, and Verizon doesn't even offer that. In a recent Consumer Reports, it described Alltel as having better rural coverage. Also the MyCircle option to call 10 numbers for free anytime is very nice. Again, Verizon doesn't even offer a feature like that. Alltel is hard to top. And if you travel, Alltel has better roaming abilities than Verizon, as I've discovered many times traveling with friends that use Verizon. It has aggrevated them so much, they are leaving Verizon in March. I hope whatever you decide works good for you. The free trials are a good way to test the service. Best of luck!

8. christl

christl New Member

Thanks so much for all your help everyone! We did in fact end up staying with Alltel. I purchased the "Rocker" slider phone and love it so far. My son chose the LG - but decided to return it and get the same one that I did. We were glad they had the 15 day trial plan! I found the comments about which phones received better reception quite interesting. At Verizon - they steered us away from the Motorola phones and said the LG phones had the best reception. At Alltel, they told us the exact opposite. The reception in our home is a little better - but still cuts out some.
    I appreciate the time each of you took to respond.....Thanks!

9. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    I know several people who have Verizon and have not had good reception with LG phones. My sister-in-law recently changed from an LG to a Samsung and it has made a world of difference. I have to conclude that the salesperson at your local Verizon store was misinformed.

Anyway, I'm glad you have something that works better now.

10. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    I am also glad you are happy with your decision. I hope it continues to work well for you and your son. From experience, LGs do not seem to be as good as Motorolas for signal. If you have any more questions, there are many wise and willing-to-help members here!