Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Only Stays Connected For 5 Minutes

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Aerowud, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Aerowud

Aerowud New Member

I have a Dell Latitude D400 XP laptop. I connected my alltel UM175 modem into the COM3 USB port on the side, installed the software/driver.

Now when I go to connect, everything runs smoothly for about 5-8 minutes. After 5-8 minutes I cannot NAVIGATE THE INTERNET. Access says I'm still connected, but I can't navigate anywhere on the net. I have to reboot the laptop and get another 5-8 minutes. After that time, I have to reboot again.

If I am downloading a big file, I can stay connected for hours. I just got done downloading a game demo that was 678MB, took about 5 hours, and I never lost the connection. About 20 minutes into the download, I tried getting onto firefox AND internet explorer: I couldn't navigate. I couldn't even get GOOGLE to show up. Only a white screen.

I also have a Vista home premium 32-bit desktop, and I have 0 problems with alltel on it. I can navigate the internet for hours and never get a white screen.

Does anyone have any advice on why my XP laptop is being so difficult?

EDIT: I also have tried connecting my Xbox 360 to my desktop and sharing internet with alltel. Works great. But when I try it with my XP laptop, I can get on Xbox LIVE for about 5 or 6 minutes, then it says I lost the connection, even though Access says I'm still connected.

2. Aerowud

Aerowud New Member

I'm wondering if the alltel connection times out after a period of time if the username and password isn't entered.

When I have the modem in my vista, I never have to worry about username or pass, but maybe that could be causing the problem with my XP?

Does anyone else have this problem?

3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Do you have your wireless LAN connection disabled when connecting with your WWAN device? My VZW aircard will turn off after a few minutes if it detects a wireless lan connection in the area.

4. Aerowud

Aerowud New Member

No I do not have the LAN disabled that says "PANTECH UM175AL WWAN Driver" under it. Do you think that is causing the problem?

The only other LAN I have is the one I have my xbox 360 plugged into; which is the LAN port and driver that is installed on my laptop.

There is no other wireless LAN connection in my area, being that I live in the country.:rolleyes:

5. Aerowud

Aerowud New Member

Ok, disabled my LAN on the UM175.

Still having the same problem.