Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Native Coverage in Western NC

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by KyleAndMelissa22, Apr 28, 2007.

1. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I look at TF plans for folks every day. ALL plans offered currently are capped. Sorry, but true. Your plan may not be, but anybody coming onto a plan now ARE capped at 1000 M2M and 1000 N&W.

2. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

the rep and the contract both cap the M2M at 1000 minutes, just like the off-peak, but when you get the bill, here's how it shows:

"Mob2Mob & MyCircle" Unlimited 2,388(used) $0.00(charge);

there is no distinction in the system betweem M2M and "my circle" minutes used.

3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Theres a new Mountain Wireless SID list. It says that Alltel now has an SID in WNC. It's 5281. Never seen that before.

Also, another Alltel SID in Upstate SC; 5595.

But again, Alltel PCS coverage in the Carolinas is not in use at this point.

Anyone know if these are gonna be for new towers & expanding coverage in the future?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I just got my bill today, and there were no roaming fees.
    I guess this means USCC is free to roam for Alltel customers now.

:thumb:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Hmm?

I need to try this for myself. I've stayed on the greater freedom plan for the reason that I can roam on blocked out USCC and Verizon SID's for free. Might have to do some experimenting now! I'm mainly interested in free roam on USCC SID 1541 (eastern NC), VZW SID 69 (spans over Raleigh/Durham and eastern NC) and VZW SID 189 (Columbia, SC).

6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I tried to use 189 last week...sorry, no dice :( All I have to do is drive 20 minutes south and I am in 189 territory. I am down there at least once a week and try everytime.

7. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    It charges you for roaming on it? Or you can't force to it?

I have a PRL I wrote that I keep in my second NAM. It covers all of the Verizon and USCC system ID's in NC and SC and locks on to VZW where available. If VZW becomes unavailable it falls to USCC if they are there, and if USCC is gone prefers Carolina West (for Northwest NC). This is the way I do it now, it's just that with a national freedom plan I fear paying roaming charges on the VZW and USCC systems. With greater freedom I don't get charged roaming on any system in the coverage area.

Downside is I can't leave the Carolinas :)

8. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I can't force to it at all.

9. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yea, same here. I was in the Columbia area in march, and I had a solid R on SID 189 in Richland county.

But there was a period of time when I was in nearby Lexington county and it briefly worked on 189.

Sprint has this problem in Charlotte & Columbia as well, but Verizon will on act this way in Columbia.

The NIDs are the key.

VZW's NIDs 101, 102, 103, 107 in SID 139 are usable for Alltel customers.

Sprint's NID 1 (Asheville, Upstate SC) in SID 4376, is also usable for Alltel Customers.

The Columbia NIDs for Sprint & Verizon prevent Alltel customer from roaming on them.

Dial *22800 to force to Verizon, or *22805 to force to Sprint (in the Carolinas). It'll work as long as theres a signal.

If you get a Solid Roam, then you are in an NID area that you can't roam.

You won't get charged for Attempting to force roam using this method.

I can always use Alltel, Sprint & Verizon in Upstate SC.

All *228 codes for this area (*22800 - *22807) :

*22800 Verizon
    *22801 Alltel (USCC if in WNC)
    *22802 none
    *22803 none
    *22804 none
    *22805 Sprint
    *22806 Alltel PCS
    *22807 Cricket

10. covesnest

covesnest New Member

I am lost?? I will be going to WNC (Hendersonville area zip 28739) , a few different times this year, I was going to get the Alltel U plan for these occasions, since my regular plan is limited to my region. My local Alltel rep stated it would work great in this area. I found this forum and you guys with expertise are indicating no. I understand US Cellular is king in WNC; however it is a regional provider for me. Any suggestion on Alltel roaming in this area at the $.15 rate , particularly on USC? Thanks for you advice.

11. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Currently in the Asheville/Hendersonville area, Alltel customers will either roam on Sprint (SID 4376), Verizon (SID 139), or US Cellular (SID 246) signals. Alltel does have PCS sprectrum in the area, but it's not in regular use at the moment.

I made at least 1 call on US Cellular on 5-6-2007 on my way to Mount Mitchell.
    I did not get charged roaming at all. I have the Nat'l Freedom 900 plan (w/ my circle).
    In Buncombe & Henderson Counties, you should be okay. I'm not sure how U Prepaid actually works, as i've never had prepaid service. But if you say it's 15 cent roaming, then i assume its 15 cent roaming. Theres great coverage along I-40 & I-26 from all three.

Although, It says on alltelu.com that its still 59 cents roaming (free roam in WNC) and its almost similar to the nat'l freedom map.

Take a look at the U Prepaid coverage maps and it should tell you whats good. I still recommend Nat'l or total freedom cause of the My Circle deal, plus all that coverage and free roaming in most areas.

But if Alltel takes a long time to get the PCS spectrum up and running, just take it easy on the roaming usage in the meantime.

Alltel will notice you roaming in their "PCS licensed area," not sure if they'll take action.

They say it's ok, but i'm obviously talking to Alltel reps that don't understand that Alltel has nothing in use yet in WNC. They're just looking at their license and saying, "o yeah, we service there."

I know its confusing, i'm confused too ... :dunno:

The first post in this thread explains alot of my confusion:

Anyone else have input?

12. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    Ok...I have input...about Asheville...per our tower lookup, there are actual towers in place that are on PCS spectrum...I haven't done any further research to see if they are actually being used...but there ya go, for what's it worth.

13. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I live about an hour from Asheville.

I know there are PCS towers in place, and their not in use. Not sure when they will be.

If you goto WNC, you will only be able to use vzw, sprint, or uscc

14. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I went up to Mt Mitchell, NC again yesterday.....
    While I was on the 6,600 feet summit, I dialed *22806 and it gave me a Solid R on SID 1298. (It wouldn't connect)

The SID showed up quite a few times when dialing *22806, it wasn't like a one time thing.

I just looked up this SID on MountainWireless.com, and it's listed as Morehouse, Louisiana.:eek:

Is it kidding me?:confused:...A straight line from Mt Mitchell to Morehouse Parish, LA is 600 miles long!
    I know my tiny phone won't transmit that far....So how could it just receive, without transmitting?

It's one thing for a 100,000 watt radio station to go that far, but a cell phone signal?????

Was this for real????? Was it really from Louisiana???? MountainWireless's database isn't wrong I hope....

SID 1298 is listed in Morehouse Parish, Louisiana. Northern Louisiana.......

And It's an Alltel PCS SID. I'm freakin' out...Need to confirm this.............................................

#44 KyleAndMelissa22, May 27, 2007
    Last edited: May 27, 2007
  15. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Basically, with a pay-per-minute AlltelU plan, it will be 15 cents/minute. You will either be on Alltel, Sprint, Verizon, or USCC on your trip, but it won't matter. On AlltelU, it costs no more to make calls on a network that's not Alltel unless you get the solid triangle or R, which you won't in that area. The higher roaming charge does not apply to any of these networks.

If you're not on an Alltel network, you will probably be required to double dial the number you're wanting to call when you're given a prompt, but it will be the same 15 cents/min, it's really just more of a hassle than anything. Essentially, it would be safe to get AlltelU for your trip and you will be able to make calls at the normal AlltelU rate. Another option might be the Free2Roam 100 minute add-on to your regional plan, or you could switch to a National plan for a month. Alltel allows you to change your plan at any time without extending your contract.

Hope these options help you to make your decision.

16. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Interesting, I found the reference on Mountain Wireless but I couldn't find any mention of the SID on PRL Interpretations. Currently, PRL Interpretations shows SID 00440, the Alltel SID in use for the Louisiana 2-Morehouse area.

17. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

Also, add SID 1522 (Carolina West) & 5386 (Cricket) to this list.

It was easier (but still a little difficult) to place a call on analog.
    And my analog calls stayed connected longer.

My digital calls, if successful, will start off ok, but then will drop after about a minute, as the phone scans and sees plenty of other signals.

On my 5-26-07 trip to the top of Mt Mitchell, NC summit,
    I mostly used SIDs 139 & 246. But I also successfully used 1522, 368, 4376.

Remember, *22806 forced my phone on to SID 1298 (Alltel PCS) in Morehouse Parish, Louisiana
    (still kinda puzzled about it). :googlyeye (like to hear from everyone about this situation)

18. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Are you sure about US Cellular? I know Alltel U does not have extra roaming charges on Verizon or Sprint, but I think all other non-Alltel providers are 59 cents/min roaming. If Alltel U uses the same PRL as contract plans, a flashing triangle for USCC on Alltel U would not necessarily mean free, as it would for a contract plan.

19. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yes US Cellular in that area, and Wisconsin are free roam, there may be more also. But those are the only two that I know for sure are free roam for U prepaid. Depends on which uscc sid you are on.

20. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have a national freedom plan. I went to Cherokee Friday. The USCC sid out there was solid roam. I hit it every so often from Hendersonville to Forest City along I-26 and US-74. I would pick up on it every so often until the phone could find a Sprint or Verizon signal. Prepaid may be different, I don't know.

21. covesnest

covesnest New Member

Thanks for the info. I can buy buckets of travel minutes from my local provider Cellular South (CDMA) and they have roaming agreements with most CDMA providers. The down side if I buy 500 travel minutes and only use a 100, at end of my billing period they are gone. If I don’t buy enough, I pay dearly for roaming. The Alltel U plan, the minutes do not expire, the catch make one call a month, in addition I have considered changing to Alltel and this would allow time to see if Alltel would work for me. It appears Alltel is out for my use. “It is hard to get ahead of the wireless providers”.

22. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I believe that Alltel will not charge for roaming on USCC anymore.

The solid R makes it harder to roam on; as the phone will use Sprint or Verizon before it uses USCC.
    If there is no Sprint or Verizon, it'll use USCC.

Sometimes, on major highways in WNC, I'll try to place a call on (solid roam) USCC,
    but then it'll start blinking, and it will use VZW or Sprint instead.

But now, I recently programmed my LG to recognize USCC's Asheville SID 246 as a Home SID,
    so i could use it whenever when I goto WNC.
    It won't display any roam icon, so it's easier to connect, and it won't search for Sprint/Vzw

I also plan to goto Charleston, SC soon...So I'll check service from everyone in that area too.

23. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Are you comparing pre-paid plans or post-paid? It's just that your description of Cell South's plans and buckets of roaming minutes don't really match up with anything I can find on their website. Perhaps you're talking about a local offer... :confused: I did find where you could add travel minutes, but it was $10 for 100 mins ... which is a little expensive. But if you're under contract, probably a cheaper option than investing in a separate pre-paid phone and carrying 2 at once.

I can find the Cell South Prepaid, which doesn't look like that great of a deal, $40/month plus 10 cents per anytime minute used. The Alltel pay-per-day with unlimited text and N&W (roughly the same offer) is 75 cents/day, about $23/month.

On the postpaid plans, the only thing I can find with Nationwide Coverage is the Nationwide Plus with 750 roaming minutes and unlimited local calling for $59. This would best compare to Alltel's National Freedom 900 with My Circle. My Circle would probably be unlimited calling for most people but you wouldn't be limited on nationwide coverage. So it sounds like Alltel has the advantage in offering Nationwide coverage while Cell South will give unlimited local area calling, if My Circle doesn't do that for you. I also noticed that Cell South wants $29 to add a second line which seems a little excessive if you're looking at a family plan.

Meridian is a fairly big place so I wouldn't imagine you'd have coverage problems with anybody. But I've heard nothing but the best comments regarding Cell South's buildout. Alltel generally does very good, but I don't have any experience there. If you want to just try out coverage, they all have trial periods, I think Alltel's is 15 days. The activation fee isn't refundable, but if you're worried about coverage, you should be able to get a very good picture without investing a lot of $$ into it.

That's just sort of how the two compare in my estimation and that may help you out depending on what you're looking for. But there might also be a local offer you were talking about. I'm personally just not a big fan of regional calling plans like Cell South specializes in, or Alltel's greater freedom. Because it seems like just about everybody does some traveling at least once a year or has the possibility of needing to travel because of work or a family emergency. And often trying to get roaming charges reversed is the last thing you need in that situation. I guess national plans just make more sense to me.

24. covesnest

covesnest New Member

Sorry about the confusion. I have been a Cellular South customer for years. In fact I did not realize they offered prepaid, must be something new. You’re correct; in their region from TN to FL you will seldom find a dead spot. Yes all the major players are in Meridian. For the coverage in the boonies Alltel is maybe second behind Cellular South.
    I was going to use the Alltel prepaid when I leave the Cellular South region for a number of trips to WNC, to see if we desire to relocate to that area. In addition I am a very light user. My wife is a heavy user in the cell phone world.
    You can change your plan with Cellular South any time before your billing cycle ends, which I will to the $59.95 with 750 travel minutes for our trip to WNC in June. While I am there, I will check out Cingular service in the area. I have never used GSM service. Cellular South was TDMA before changing to CDMA. I was set on Alltel working in WNC, since my local Alltel rep assured me it would. Glad I found out different from this forum. Thanks again.

25. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    As far as I can tell the phone will work for you there. If I'm not mistaken there are just a few areas that Alltel's uses roaming partners which U prepaid also has access to. So it will still work for you if you go that route....someone please correct me if I am wrong....

26. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    You are correct Strunke. It should be very similar to Asheville where I go sometimes. My family has never had any trouble with Alltel pre-paid or postpaid. But it probably will operate on a roaming partner like it does in Asheville, that would be no more expensive to use than the regular Alltel network in that area.

But here is the Alltel 'Native' coverage map for NC:
    http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/news_information/pdf/nc.pdf
    You can see where the Alltel stores and coverage cut out a few miles east of Hendersonville and Asheville in Henderson and Buncombe counties respectively. This map is already a couple years out of date, and Alltel does have PCS licenses for all of Western North Carolina as shown by Wireless Wavelength, which they'll hopefully consider firing up in the near future. It has been very odd for a while now that the Alltel website will sell service to Asheville and Hendersonville but does not yet send out a native, usable signal there as KyleandMelissa previously mentioned.

27. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):

I wonder if Alltel will care if your roaming too much in this area
    until they get their PCS spectrum up and running.

'Cause why would they sell service to someone in the Asheville area,
    if they know that they would roam 100%.

Hopefully this changes pretty soon, and I wonder how complete the PCS coverage will be?
    I know the SID would be 5281..

I also notice that all the places with no native Alltel in WNC, USCC is offered instead.

28. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So I finally went to the Charleston area yesterday. Alltel did work great all around the area, especially in Folly Beach & Dowtown Charleston.

Sprint (SID 4376, NID 3) & Verizon (SID 127, NID 101) was unusable in this area however. Sprint's NID 3 is neg'd & Verzion SID 127 is neg'd in the PRL.

Also, Cricket (SID 6514) recently moved to Charleston, and I checked signal/coverage by dialing *22807 (PCS band F), and it was good in the area. 6514 is also neg'd.

I went to the Folly Beach Pier, about 75 feet above the water, and my phone was also picking up Alltel, Sprint & Verizon SIDs for Jacksonville, FL (unusable).

29. MowTowRollAh

MowTowRollAh New Member

My Phone:
    LG AX8600 Silver
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel (sid 368)
    Alltel currenty doesn't cover "NATIVELY" any of the western most counties of NC.

The only "ROAMING" I am aware of is off sid 1518 which is RAMCELL, a PCS provider based in CLYDE, NC.

I roamed off it while going to Cherokee via US74.

That's the only negative effect I've had off the new SPRINT/ PCS addition to the PRL.

After I realized it was a solid roam, just listed it as a "lockout sid" on my 8600

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/downloads/usmaphires.jpg

HERE IS A MAP THAT SHOWS WHERE ALLTEL HAS NATIVE COVERAGE. ANYTHING SHADED IN BLUE IS KNOWN AS NATIVE/HOME COVERAGE. ALSO, MOST LIKELY YOU'LL FIND ALLTEL RETAIL STORES IN THE BLUE AREAS, YOU WILL NOT FIND A RETAIL STORE IN THE WHITE AREAS OF THE MAP!

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/downloads/usmaphires.jpg

#59 MowTowRollAh, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  30. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Welcome to WA, MowTowRollAh. I see you are in Alltel 368 area near Hickory, NC.
    I am aware of Ramcell, and yes as far as I know,
    Alltel users will get charged for roaming on Ramcell.
    Ramcell has a very small coverage area;
    in Cherokee, they're near the Harrah's Cherokee Casino, just under the Smokey Mts NP,
    and also, they had spotty coverage on the TN side of the Smokeys NP, near Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Sevierville.

Also, in addition to Verizon & Sprint, Alltel users may use US Cellular in WNC as free roam (sid 246).
    Even though SID 246 will currently show up on the phones as solid roam.

If you have any other questions, please ask.....