Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel making porting to other carriers harder.

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by WirelessBeachBum, Jun 16, 2005.

1. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Just want to let you know that about two weeks ago Alltel stopped giving out customer account numbers over the phone. If you are an account holder and call into their customer service center, they will not give you your account number. This in my opinion is a blatent attempt to stall customers from porting their numbers out to other carriers.

So if you do plan on porting from Alltel you will want to make sure you have your Alltel account number with you when you go to their competition, they will need the account number to complete the port of your number.

One Alltel rep even told a customer that "it's a new law that we can't give out your account number." That is just complete BS.

In fairness to Alltel that customer called back and was told that it was a "new rule."

This new policy seems to go against their new advertising campaign of "fairness and respect of the customer."

By treating their exiting customers this way, it diminishes the chances of that customer ever coming back to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :eek: Wow... that sure sounds fair to me, Beach Bum. Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will save some people a small hassle.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung i600 smartphone: BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm sure someone thought this would save customers somehow.

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, you're probably right... more than likely, as you say, it will make customers so upset that they'll never sign up with Alltel again and some of them may just say, ":censored: it," and forget about porting their number. That isn't going to keep them with Alltel, though.

5. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well on wireline Qwest would not let me disconnect so I called Public service commision and got my disconnect. My old roomate had his runin with earthlink.

Doing anything to stop someone to end service is unethical in my opinion.

Something like this only makes customers to never go back.

6. Alltel1

Alltel1 New Member

This new rule does provide a slightly longer delay for those folks who don't know what information they need to switch carriers... However the rule was intended only to protect the privacy of customer information. They do not give out acct #'s/ss#s, etc, even to the account holder. Customers have access to their account number on their bill, as well as online.

7. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    True, also it would prevent someone not the billing responsible party from porting a number to a different provider without the BRP's knowledge, if they happened to have the BRP's SSN and other information.

8. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    An account passcode could protect that just as easy...Any carrier can block a port by not having all of the required information. Tax ID, Address, Account number, mobile number....how many cases of port fraud have their been. If someone has your social they are not going to port your number, they are going to create a new account and burn up your credit rating.

9. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not if they have something personal against you and want to ruin your life. The vengeful ex- is always capable of doing something like porting your number to a new provider so that your phone stops working and s/he gets all your calls. How messed up would that be?