Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Launches Wireless Broadband

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by DandyDon, Mar 28, 2005.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Senior Member

My Phone:
    i95cl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
    Alltel gets into the EV-DO fray with the unveiling of its Axcess Broadband high-speed wireless Internet service in three U.S. markets.

Wireless customers in Tampa, Fla., and in Cleveland and Akron, Ohio, can now subscribe to the service, which offers average speeds of 300 to 500 kbps for $69.99. The monthly fee includes unlimited access, the company says.

Alltel is offering the Kyocera Passport wireless data card needed to access the network to customers for $159.99 with a signed 2-year service contract or $219.99 with a 1-year agreement.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/index.asp?layout=newsat2direct&starting=1&pubdate=03/28/05

2. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That is good if you are in those three markets and like to travel in those markets.

But if you want broadband at your home, then it would be cheaper to get Comcast (for example) which costs $42/month or something like that (not sure yet since we still have the promotion of $19.99/month until June of this year from Best Buy).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Strange that Alltel got EV-DO up and going before Sprint. I am sure Sprint will have more markets ready whey they launch EV-DO this year.

4. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA

Sprint will probably announce several markets all at once. According to their own press release, a significant portion of their network will be EVDO ready by the end of 2005. They might be waiting to see how much return will come out of this. I'm wondering how much VZW is actually making off customers who use their broadband network?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, baby, EV-DO! Rock, rock on! Now I can't wait until the Alltel/WWC merger is complete. High... speed... data! It's almost too much for me to think about. Of course, I'll have to upgrade from my TDMA phone to a CDMA EV-DO capable handset but damn, what an improvement over T-Zones.

6. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Does anyone know if VZW and Alltel are going to allow EVDO roaming? That would significantly increase the usefulness of the Alltel card.

Also, Comcast's HSI service is all well and good (I have it myself) - unless you spend more time on the road than at home. The $42.95 you pay Comcast limits you to connecting from home, with no dial-up or access via hotspot partners. (Sure, you get a DISCOUNT for TMo hotspots, but ONLY if you subscribe for a full year.)

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I agree, if you spend a lot of time on the road, then getting broadband internet from your wireless provider(for a higher monthly fee) would probably be smarter(if you have a laptop).
    If Verizon and Alltel are going to allow EV-DO roaming then that would dramatically increase Alltel's footprint, but Verizon would also gain in the long run.