Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel Internet Card

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by toole, May 18, 2009.

1. toole

toole New Member

Is it possible to speed up alltel internet card. I have two to three bars but only have speeds from 200/600. Very rare do I get faster. I am not sure if this is all I am suppose to expect. Any Help is appreciated. Sorry forgot to say, the aircard is alltell UTSTARCOM UM175Al I have had this card for about 4 months seem to do o.k. but to me slow is this normal. I previously had dial up it is a little faster. This is all that is available to our area. I have call teach my towers are very close within a mile. The tech said towers are not upgraded yet, I'm confused.
    Thanks

#1 toole, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Well yeah you are getting about as fast as you will get. The reason it's not faster is because you are on EVDO Rev. 0 and the upgrade which is being rolled out is Rev. A. Rev. A EVDO gives you about a Megabit down and maybe 200 up from the Rev. 0 if you aren't right next to the tower.

3. toole

toole New Member

Thanks, I did get to 1mg download I was so excited short live never again. Is foxfire better or not . Would it help if I changed aircards.

4. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Nothing will help except the signal strength really and how much traffic is on the tower.

5. armedhampster

armedhampster New Member

It is possible. You may be Rev O or Rev A but having an external antenna is key. I am Rev A 5 miles from tower. No LOS at all. I also use the Pantech UM175
    EVDO Tips and Tweaks

Or you can follow my thread,
    [Troubleshooting] What else can I do? - dslreports.com

The first link can enlighten you and certainly help you get a better signal. The second link is to a thread I started. I, much like the person in the first link, live 5 miles from my tower. I got faster than dial up speeds with no antenna, but then I got a small cheap-o window mount one that helped, but not much. Then i upgraded to a big antenna but that was meant for mobile applications, which I've learned isn't what I needed (It did help tremendously). Now, as of today, I have ordered a grid style antenna setup that should lock in some fantastic speeds.

With my current setup I get this using just an omni directional antenna shown in pics on thread.
    [​IMG]
    Or if you like it the other way: (test done 30mins after first)
    [​IMG]
    6pm on a wednesday, acceptable but I regularly hit 200kb/s on downloads and most times 60-90kbs uploads. Pings are usually lower than what is listed from the tests also, averaging around 100ms. Just check out the links. You'll get all the info you need to have rocking internet!

#5 armedhampster, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009