Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel EVDO Roaming?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by R11290, Aug 6, 2007.

1. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hi,

I recently took a week long camping trip to various parts of TN. For the first part of the week I was in Townsend, TN very near to Smoky Mountains National Park. At the campgrounds I had very spotty "1X" service of about zero or one bar, but that is to be expected.

The second half of the week I was in and near Memphis, TN and here I also only had "1X" service.

My main question is why does my EVDO capable Wafer roam only with "1X" data capabilities throughout TN even in areas where Sprint EVDO is present such as Memphis, Nashville, and Gatlinburg?

I was under the impression that Alltel was to roam on Sprint but I believe I may have been roaming on Verizon the whole way. I never got EVDO service until I reached Arkansas where Alltel EVDO was present.

Thanks for any responses.

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    The answer to your question is yes, Alltel and Sprint do have an EVDO roaming agreement. But the case with both providers, is that they only modify their PRL so that customers on smartphones, PDA's, and Wireless PC Cards are able to EVDO roam between networks. For the person that uses a regular phone to tether, the roaming agreements don't really help in that aspect at this time and the roaming on the Wafer is now limited to 1x.

3. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

I figured it was some detail like that but I wasn't sure.

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You could always load a smartphone PRL onto your handset and it works great, hehe.

I have prl 40023 in the NAM 2 of my KRZR if I ever need it. But have prl 30008 in the nam 1, don't use it much anyways, just did it for fun so I could make my phone go onto sprint's evdo.... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. R11290

R11290 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone 3G S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I have another question regarding roaming now that I understand the EVDO roaming situation.

-- Does Alltel automatically search for Sprint over Verizon or vice versa once out of an Alltel market?
    I was just wondering because I will be going to Houston this weekend and was curious which carrier I'll likely be roaming on just for the sake of wondering.

--Is there any easy way on a Samsung phone to choose which provider to roam on? (On my old LG I could select PCS or Cellular band, but because both Verizon and Sprint are PCS here it would just randomly pick one or the other I think)

Sorry for the trivial questions..

but thanks for the answers to them;)

6. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    In most cases it will prefer Sprint over Verizon and use Verizon where Sprint might have holes.

I believe Samsungs have settings to allow a change in what band you are using. If not it may be in the programming menu. I think it is "Menu + 0 then six zero's" to get into samsungs programming menu???????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. stsivakkani

stsivakkani New Member

Hi,

I have a general question on EVDO roaming too.

If my device is originally camped on 1xRTT and I am browsing web while driving and now when the device sees EVDO, does it automatically switch to EVDO for any ongoing data connection?

Thanks,
    Salai.