Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel customer service SUCKS

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by nm-native, Apr 25, 2007.

1. nm-native

nm-native New Member

I am SO ticked at the moment... I am ready to just cancel the entire service and go back to Sprint... I have been going rounds with Alltel in regards to returning a phone we received less than a week ago (LG phone kept shutting off on my husband). Because we had ordered the service and phones online (and that is the last time I try to do something that is more convienent for me), the store brushed me off and told me to contact the number on the back of the invoice. When I call, I get Alltel. It is the same menu as when I call 800-Alltel1 (which I have done a lot the past few days). So, why is it that if I am having a problem with the phone, there is nothing that Alltel can do? I went through the proper channels in obtaining an RMA#. I was assured by customer serv. that because it was a defective phone, that I would not be charged for shipping (a shipping label was to be e-mailed to me within the day - or so I was told). After talking to 5 different people at 866-582-3555 (the Alltel online store) I finally got frustrated enough to contact the 800-Alltel1 line again this evening. After talking until I was blue in the face about what was going on, and worrying that the 15 day service guarantee would lapse before I was able to get a new phone, and getting no where, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I talked to this jack*** until I was blue in the face. He couldn't tell me why I had to contact "Let's Talk" (which I was told by the first person is a division of Alltel) concerning the phones, because I had ordered the phones through them, but could discuss or change the service associated with the account with 800-Alltel1, even though I had ordered both at the same time from the same website.... This does not make Alltel customer service look that appealing to me. My husband and I are seriously looking at going back to Sprint and when I made that clear to customer service that if this is not resolved by tomorrow, that is my intentions, I got the impression that the customer service rep was like "so what?!!!". To me, customer service is a large part of why one deals with one company over another. Late this evening, I did receive an e-mail from "Let's talk' with a shipping label so I can fianlly send the dang phone back to them and get a replacement. I am going to call tomorrow morning (as they are closed now) and see if they will send out a replacement once they have a tracking number (I guess the policy is they receive the phone back, process it, and then send out another phone) as this whole process has been held up sicne last weekend because I was not receiving the shipping label. Has anyone else had this problem with Alltel, or am I the only person in the world tha has ordered the service and phone from alltel.com and had to return a defective phone? Any suggestions to get Alltel to send out a replacement once they receive a tracking number for the one I am returning?
    Sorry about the rant. If we weren't looking at a move to an area where Alltel is strongest, I would have told them where to put their service contract about the 5th time I had to call them concerning the same problem.

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    While Alltel is generally a good company I will agree with you that their customer service sucks. I've delt with Alltel's CS also and it's prolly the worst customer service from a cell phone company that I have seen.

3. nm-native

nm-native New Member

My problem is that their coverage where I am moving to (Alltel's) is much better than what the Sprint people are touting... So, do you pick the company that has more coverage, but CS drives you nuts when you have to deal with them, or go with the company that you really haven't had any problems with as far as CS (but, then again, I never did have to return a Sprint phone or really deal that much with them) but not as great of coverage (and there is the 'My Circle' thing that I love).... I am at a crossroads. Pretty much all of my family has Alltel, so it is very convienent for me to just stay with them. But, I am worried that I will regret it 6 months into my contract and be counting down the days until the 2 years is up... And I would think that CS would be at least looking into what is going on and listening to my concerns, instead of giving me a "who cares" kind of attitude, especially since I am well within the 15 days to cancel the contract without paying early terminiation fees.

4. nm-native

nm-native New Member

And I don't have a problen with the service areas (infact, they are a little bit better that I had with Sprint), it is just the dang CS.... Should I just give it another week, see if I get my phone in, and decide? If I had bought the phones from the store and started the service with the store, I wouldn't have even had to call CS - the people at the retail location are fine to deal with - it is just the people on the 800#. Should I just cancel the service, return the phones and then drive to the retail store so I have access to returning a phone if it is defective? (seems a little redundant to me - to have to start another service with the same company because I am having a problem with a phone)....

Frustrated in NM.....

Again, thanks for letting me vent.

5. djjim

djjim Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I had a similar situation with Sprint & Inphonic(Let's Talk). Sprint couldn't help me either since I bought the phone through Inphonic. Let's Talk is not a division of Alltel. They are owned by Inphonic, a horrid company. Alltel needs to distance themselves from them and set up their own ordering system through their website. I have been with Alltel for years and have had very good customer service. Other than TDan, I rarely hear people complain about cs. II don't think you will have many more problems in the future with cs if any. I would suggest dealing directly with Alltel and not dealing with Inphonic or an agent(unless you know the agent well) in the future.

6. nm-native

nm-native New Member

The CS at Let's Talk started this whole thing by not doing what they stated... Everytime I go into the Alltel store in my area, I get some resolution to whatever... or I am directed to someone that can help. The CS at the store is far better than the 800-alltel1 (at least for me anyway). When I was on the phone with CS (800-alltel1) last night, the rep is the one that stated Let's Talk was a division of Alltel. Maybe they didn't want to indicate to me that it was another company, but I would think that it would have been easier for them to tell me that they could do nothing for me, because Let's Talk is not an Alltel company if they had told me that...
    I am sending the phone back today and will try to get Let's Talk to send me another one once they receive the tracking number (I have my fingers crossed) because of the trouble I have had in getting a dang shipping label from them.

7. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    The local Alltel stores usually have helpful people. You can at least look AND hear the help they give.
    A lot better than just the phone, except whey they close :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Another Inphonic horror story, I hope everything works out, but if you order Sprint online you may have to deal with the same thing :(
    Hopefully your replacement phone works ok and you can deal with Alltel direct, I personally have had much better luck than with Sprint, but of coaurse YMMV...

9. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The problem is that Let's Talk (InPhonic) is a 3rd party vendor who sells Alltel's service. They handle all the equipment (phones, acessories, etc.) transactions on Alltel's website for some reason. It seems stupid to me, too... I don't know why they do it that way.:loony:

Unfortunatly, because the phones did not come out of Alltel's inventory, they came out of Let's Talk's, Alltel sales offices and customer service cannot return the phone. The phone has to go to Let's Talk's warehouse, not Alltel's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #9 MOTOhooligan, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  10. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Some info from you from a CS perspective:

1. Let's Talk is NOT a division of Alltel. They are a third party vendor that deal in many companies, not just Alltel. When you purchase a phone from them it doesn't come out of Alltel inventory, so CS at Alltel can't process the return from you. It MUST go through Let's Talk.

2. As for changing service on the phone when you get it, that is the domain of CS, but at that point you ARE dealing with Alltel and not Let's talk. You are comparing apples to oranges in this case.

3. I've dealt with many different cell companies now over the years, and frankly, Alltel has provided the best CS of the lot. You read bad experience after bad experience, but remember this: people who are happy generally don't post. 98% of the posts regarding CS issues are those who are unhappy, but they are generally a minority of the group - just a very vocal minority.

Regarding your PM to me: sorry but I'm not going to respond or give advice. That's just asking for trouble as it could open up liablity problems. Further, all of a sudden I become a personal advisor for people and they start sending mail after mail after mail after mail....and I just won't do that.

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I agree wholeheartedly with this post and djjim's. Once you get past having to deal with Inphonic I think you'll get more use to seeing the generally praised Alltel CS (compared to other providers) that you find at the store. Alltel, and all carriers really, that rely on Inphonic, should distance themselves form Inphonic (let's talk) and run their own websites.

12. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yes the problem is not Alltel. It is the fact that LetTalk/Inphonic has to handle the phones once you order from them, the Alltel people's hands are tied. As far as servicing your account and normal customer service issues, Alltel is ten times better then Sprint. The best for CS overall is probably T-Mobile, then Verizon or Alltel, then US Cellular, then Cingular, then Sprint. Some of these may be ties, but it is generally in that order. There are always exceptions though.

13. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    That sounds about right.

14. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah It does. I've been with Alltel for over 10 years now and have had good and bad cs calls, but would say that if it was more bad than good I would have changed service years ago. Alltel is a very good company and they have a lot of good people working for them. Once you get past this you should be happy with Alltel.

15. mcwilliams

mcwilliams Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel and AT&T
    BikeBrian is 100% right on this one. After workin for Alltel for 6 years I know it can be frustrating, but they are still one of the better companies out there regarding customer service. Sprint CS is almost non exsistent, ie; long wait times, promises unfufilled, and unreliable service. With Cingular, who I unfortunately have to deal with every day, I am having issues with pricing that is incorrect, sales reps that don't do their job and CS that acts like our business is a game. So as you can see every company will have it's own issues, some good some bad. There are some things that you should realize. 1. Does Alltel care if they lose you as a customer? No, but just like any other company they have more important customers out there than a one or two line account. Sorry, hate to break it to you.
    2. Is the service good where you live? Yes, as you said above, so you probably want to stick with that one.
    3. You may have had your issues with an agent, but there is a group within Alltel that handles agents such as InPhonic. You can file a complaint that way, but still see number 1. Realize that it's not a losing battle, but that for a small account they won't give away the farm. They wont do it for a major account. Good luck to you and hope that my above post helped you out a little bit.

16. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

I would agree. when i first signed up, the store rep was VERY knowledgable and helpful. but when i called the 800 number, they tried to sell me unnecessary extras already included in my plan and gave me a different bit of false information every time i called. but as i learned the ropes on my own, even the 800 people seemed to get better. sometimes it's a matter of asking the right question in the right way.

17. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    LetsTalk is a 3rd party cell phone seller...???

I was doing some research online last nite re: FCC licenses and who owns what and who has what coverage here where I live.

I found out that Einstein Wireless has PCS/BB here that I never knew before. Associated with Einstein Wireless was LetsTalk.

News to me....