Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel...Contract...

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by kklessig, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    To get a new cell phone at Alltel, must you sign a new, extended contract with them?

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, to sign up you must sign a one year or two year contract with the provider.

3. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    If you want a discount on the phone, you will need to agree to a contract. If you are willing to pay full price for the phone, you do not have a contract.

4. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):

We already have an Alltel contract...what I mean is that to get the cheapest price on a phone, must you extend the contract even longer?

Sometimes do ya just gotta suck it up and pay full price for a cell phone?

5. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, to get the cheapest price you will have to extend the contract longer, usually you will get to choose between a 1 year and 2 year contracts, a 2 year contract has the most discounts, unlike the 1 year contract that only has a little discount.

Well it comes down to if you really want that phone alot. If you really want it and aren't afraid to pay the full price then go ahead, it's up to you if you want to pay the full price, or you can wait until your contract is expires, and then get all of the discounts.

6. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I ask because my hubby goes thru phones fast. Each time he needs a new phone and if he extends the contract, in no time at all the contract will soon be 10+ years long....!!

7. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well their always is the option of terminating the contract, but their is the ETF fee thats usually around the 150-200 $$ range for each line you have with your carrier. The price of the early termination fee will not change no matter how long you contract is.

8. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You don't have to worry about that. If you are not within 90 days of your contract expire date, you aren't eligible to get another phone at contract price and have a new contract put in place. If you are within 90 days, then you are eligible.

IOW, if you call contact Alltel and ask for a new phone, and that you want it to place it under an X year contract to get the subsidize price, they'll check your status. If you have a contract on that line that is within 90 days of ending, they'll let you proceed. If not, they won't give you an option for a new contract. If you purchase a phone in that case, you'll be stuck at paying the full retail price. Alltel does not "stack" contracts.

9. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Another option is to buy a phone on a prepaid account. They are discounted somewhat but you pay a $35 activation fee and you have to put $20 of talk time on the account. Use up the minutes and then transfer the phone to your postpaid account. For example, a prepaid Razr V3m is $149.99. After adding on the $35 plus $20 you are still well under the retail price of $364.99.

There is also eBay. I bought a very slightly used E815 for a great price a couple months ago. You just have to be careful.

10. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for all the advice.

What he ended up doing was going to our local Radio Shack, which is also an Alltel place and charging a phone -- Moto E815 -- to his company. They programmed it onto our account and even gave him a rebate receipt to send in.

Somehow, hubby always finds the "best way" to do things....

I even asked about phones here yesterday and hubby caught me by surprise by coming home from work and telling me he was getting a new phone....glad i asked when i did...

11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Very good to hear. I hope it makes the difference and gets you enough reception at your house. :) Let us know what you think of it!

12. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    This is true. The phone companies just extra charge you for the convenience of choice and service. They don't want you to know about other places to buy.

My phone, an LG AX4270, cost 189.99 at an Alltel store/on Alltel's website.
    But I went onto Ebay, and saw refurbs for around $50, and new from $90.

Just make sure you buy off of someone with high feedback.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yes it is a good way to go sometimes, eBay. Just beware of scams. Though one of the reasons that Alltel and other companies phones are cheap with contracts is because the only make money off the contracts. At times they will often loose money on the handset by giving them away or selling them cheap, and make money off the monthly fee itself. So if you don't fulfill the contract they very well could loose money off of you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't have to worry about the contract stuff. I don't understand why hubby is so anti- prolonging our Alltel contract as our only real options for cell service here are Alltel and Cell One. No way in he!! would we EVER go back to Cell One.

Unless cell coverage and plans change here where we live, we will stay with Alltel for a long...long...time....

I like his new phone...the E815. I'd like one!! And it does pull better reception at home than the V262...about 1, maybe 2 bars more than 'no service' or 1 bar.

Thanks for the advice about phones on ebay....I don't know if I would ever buy a 2nd-hand phone there. That's something I gotta think about.

Last nite at our local home show, Alltel reps were there and I looked at the Moto Q...the cute thing it is!! The rep told me they work great here but I have my doubts....

15. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well it won't get the same reception as the e815, but likely slightly better then a razr, and in order to get the discount price you have to sign up for a smart choice data plan unfortunately. It is a great phone, not sure it would be the best for you though as it sounds like it will not get reception where you would like it most, at home. But, if you really like and think you will use the data features then it is worth a shot. If you know anybody with a alltel Moto RAZR and they are out by your house you could ask them how the reception is, that way you have something to compare it to and see if it will be a good option.

16. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

yep, and make sure it is an alltel programmed phone. you might find it locked when you get it, but the alltel in-store folks are good about helping with that issue.

17. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Fraud usually is cheaper than the "honest" way!
    I mean if his company is OK buying him a phone thats great but why were you worried about it in the 1st place if they were paying?

18. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Can you believe I had my fact wrong???

We obviously have CellOne and Alltel here. When I searched out the FCC website, I found that we have MANY companies to choose from...like, Verizon/PCS-BB, Einstein Wireless/PCS-BB, New Cingular, Sprint/Nextel(PCS-BB), and probably more I didn't happen to find.

Can anyone tell me how Alltel compares to a PCS/BroadBand network? Is there any comparison or are they two very different things?

BTW, I wasn't all that worried about contracts with Alltel. I'm sorry my words came out that way, but it really makes no difference to me. Hubby usually finds a way to make all his big purchases part of business expenses. I probably failed to mention that as well. Its his company anyway, not money out of my own wallet, that's all.

19. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):

I never meant to make it seem like "best way" was not an "honest way." Its just biz pocket vs my pocket. See my below message.

Apparently, Hubby went to Alltel about a problem with his old V262...it was giving him shocks each time he answer his phone or made a call. Then, he thought about his friend's Radio Shack store, which is also an Alltel place. His friend told him not a problem to buy a phone from him and hook it up to his account...so he did that with a new E815. Hubby didn't want to return to the first Alltel dealer for some reason...he probably said he would be back to get a new phone or something stupid like that. He doesn't have a very close relationship with Alltel so I guess it doesn't matter to him if he goes there or another Alltel place.

Thats it!! Not dishonest.

20. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Those companies might have licenses for area but that doesn't mean they have a network there or serve your area. The big three (Verizon/At&t/Sprint) have licenses that cover most of the country. But they don't always have service everywhere...

21. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):

I was reading and recording lots of info at the FCC site. I looked into every application that was approved in my county and jotted it all down...the call name, market code, all important info. Put it all together and yes, they do seem to cover my area. I didn't just loosely come to that conclusion.

22. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    some good ways to know whats good in your area:

1. Go on the ATT, VZW, TMO, & Sprint websites and check street level coverage maps.
    2. Ask someone you know with that particular service how they like it (price, coverage, experience, etc).
    3. Go to a local wireless store of any carrier and find out coverage there.

Maybe they will let you take a phone home (temporarily) to see if you got good coverage at your location,
    (i don't actually know if this option is possible, but its worth a try :cool:). (maybe for a small fee)

23. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes I understand. They do have a license for your area. But they do not have a network built to service there and they will not sell service there. For instance, the UP of Michigan (Marquette) has a license for Verizon Wireless and At&t. But you will not find a single tower for them there, nor do they sell service there. They basically haven't gotten around to building out there because other areas of the country were deemed more profitable so they built in those areas first. They will eventually have a network for that license (they have to or else, the FCC will take it away, if they don't build on it in a given time period) but they do not have one there now and depending on the area may not for a few years...

24. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I could be wrong but in order to have a PCS license, I was thinking that I previously read that a carrier only had to have a certain % of markets covered. So any particular PCS license may be held for many years without actually having to build a network.

But other than that, I completely agree with all of your points. For the town that I use to live, there were 6 different carriers that had licenses either in the 800 or 1900 MHz bands. But alltel and verizon were the only providers that would actually sell service to the area. Beyond that, alltel was the only provider that gave a usable signal. From the digging around on the Universal Service Fund I did on the internet, I found that Alltel was the leading carrier in gaining USF funds to build in rural areas. Cingular and Dobson (Cell One) were also high. Verizon wasn't even in the top 10 according to the paper I found. They're apparently too busy to worry about bidding and building in rural areas at the moment but that's another story just using my area as an example. :D

25. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Makes sense UFO! Thanks for your story :)

I like about 4 hours north of milwaukee so many of the PCS/BB licenses I ran across had a home market in milwaukee but that market came north to me.

We have a very high tourism industry here in the non-snow months so I was thinking that all the Southern WI and North IL residents who travel this way ALL THE TIME...they now have access here?!?! Just a thought I had.

26. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes that is true. But on the cellular band they're MSA's, and BSA's. While with PCS, there are MTA's and BTA's. An MTA is likely what those companies have for Milwaukee ().

There are two 30 MHz licenses within each of the 47 Major Trading Areas (MTAs) and one 20 MHz license in each Basic Trading Area (BTA) and four 10 MHz blocks in each BTA. BTA's are within the MTA's.
    Here is some info from that link, as you can see this would fall under Region 3 and it would be very easy to meet the construction requirements and leave rural areas out of the loop with the large cities that are included....you can also look at the link above to see the percentage population figures here- § 24.103 Construction requirements.

(b) The regional service areas are defined
    as follows:
    (1) Region 1 (Northeast): The Northeast
    Region consists of the following
    MTAs: Boston-Providence, Buffalo-
    Rochester, New York, Philadelphia,
    and Pittsburgh.
    (2) Region 2 (South): The South Region
    consists of the following MTAs:
    Atlanta, Charlotte-Greensboro-Greenville-
    Raleigh, Jacksonville, Knoxville,
    Louisville-Lexington-Evansville, Nashville,
    Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Richmond-
    Norfolk, Tampa-St. Petersburg-
    Orlando, and Washington-Baltimore;
    and, Puerto Rico and United States
    Virgin Islands.
    (3) Region 3 (Midwest): The Midwest
    Region consists of the following MTAs:
    Chicago, Cincinnati-Dayton, Cleveland,
    Columbus, Des Moines-Quad Cities, Detroit,
    Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis-
    St. Paul, and Omaha.
    (4) Region 4 (Central): The Central
    Region consists of the following MTAs:
    Birmingham, Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver,
    El Paso-Albuquerque, Houston,
    Kansas City, Little Rock, Memphis-
    Jackson, New Orleans-Baton Rouge,
    Oklahoma City, San Antonio, St.
    Louis, Tulsa, and Wichita.
    (5) Region 5 (West): The West Region
    consists of the following MTAs: Honolulu,
    Los Angeles-San Diego, Phoenix,
    Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco-
    Oakland-San Jose, Seattle (including
    Alaska), and Spokane-Billings;
    and, American Samoa, Guam, and the
    Northern Mariana Islands.
    (c) The MTA service areas are based
    on the Rand McNally 1992 Commercial
    Atlas & Marketing Guide, 123rd Edition,
    at pages 38–39, with the following exceptions
    and additions:
    (1) Alaska is separated from the Seattle
    MTA and is licensed separately.
    (2) Guam and the Northern Mariana
    Islands are licensed as a single MTA like
    area.
    (3) Puerto Rico and the United States
    Virgin Islands are licensed as a single
    MTA-like area.
    (4) American Samoa is licensed as a
    single MTA-like area.

It's all kind of confusing, but I hope this is useful! :)

27. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
  28. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for all the info. You're right, it is a bit confusing. I'll have to save this info and study it when I feel like learning some more here...

Thanks again!!

29. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Agreed, thanks for the info Strunke, I've scanned it and got most of it but I will definitely be studying it a little more. One interesting point I did find with the MTA licenses was that only 37% of the population or 25% of the geography had to be covered within 5 years to retain the license, just as you mentioned why many rural areas are left out of the loop. So that explains why many rural areas on the outskirts or even 50-60 miles away from larger cities don't need to be covered to hold many MTA PCS licenses.