Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ALLTEL -- Can someone help me out

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by boxermansr, Jul 23, 2003.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Ok, here's the situation. I've been a customer with ALLTEL for going on 5 years (don't ask why, cuz as it is their service, at least where I am, sucks, and their customer service, is god awful). Actually, I don't use the phone, my brother does, and we're just too comfortable, at least until number portability comes along, to make a move.

Anyhow, here's the scoop. He had the Motorola v60 for close to a year now. We haven't been under contract for a good 3-4 months. Last week, he decided he wanted to get the Motorola T720 (another mistake -- I know, I had the VZW version).

Anyhow, he figured he'd sign a two year agreement, to get the T720 at the discounted price. So he renewed (he also currently has an unlimited airtime plan that ALLTEL has discontinued here, so he got to keep that, and figured signing for two years would lock that plan in too).

Nonetheless, we got the phone, let it charge and all that happy stuff. Two days later, we started having problems -- locking up, powering off during charging, all kinds of garbled trash on the screen, and constantly having to take the battery out to get each problem resolved.

He got upset and said screw it, so we went back to ALLTEL today to return the phone and end the 2 year agreement, since they have this wonderful TOTAL guarantee program that allows you to use the service 15 days and if you don't like it.... etc.. (just like Verizons Worry Free Guarantee)..

Well they tell us first off, that the phone needs new software, and the sales rep literally YANKS the phone from my hand. Then he tells us that we can NOT cancel and get out of the contract -- because the guarantee is only good for NEW customers, not for re-newals (their website, nor their 'handout' that explains the GUARANTEE implies "new or existing customer" related topics).

So. I'm wondering is ALLTEL in the wrong here? I called CS and was on hold for 20 minutes to be told that a supervisor would NOT speak to me, and that I was pretty much SOL. That's real good customer service for you.

I'm just wondering if they can do this. Since the fine print makes NO mention of new, old, existing, renewing, or any type of customer, I would imagine I can get out of the contract -- at this point, my brother just wants to go back to month to month with his v60 and wait it out till number portability hits, and I'd think at least ALLTEL would realize that and say "Hey, he's not LEAVING, we're getting the phone back, and he's still staying a customer (god knows why)"

Anyhow, if anyone can offer any insight, ideas, suggestions, or who I can contact. ALLTEL's website used to have a list of contacts, by region (like VZW's website), but I guess they removed it due to too many complaints.

Thanks.

2. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That's amazing... even though Alltel seems poorly managed it doesn't seem like they'd actually have a policy that stupid. I'd start with the store manager at the Alltel store.

3. Stonecolddsl

Stonecolddsl New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung R225m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile. Alltel
    Real simple fry the phone. take it to all tel and get a new one on the spot. A friend ended up doing that because alltel on the phone keeps saying they should replace the pohne and in the sarasota store they keep saying the y want to run more test on it. seems like they are just inventing test. they dont do much to the phone they press some buttons and saw them test the battery. Personally wiht my mothers nokia i ended up getting her a startac 7860 and it sounds great all the problems went a way. Next time i have to deal wiht alltel and the nokia i am going to tell tehm to get there fat butts in a car and drive away from the store where i have problems. and where the phone sounds like crap.

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alltel will let you return the phone and still go month to month. You must do this within 10 days of getting the phone.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...