Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel and Verizon Down In Eastern Utah?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by foufymaus, Jun 12, 2008.

1. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hello everyone,
    For the past 4 hours my Alltel v9m hasn't been getting a signal and my text messages haven't been able to be sent. I then tried calling my friend who is using an LG on the Verizon network from a land line. I then ended up calling her landline because the phone was being sent to voicemail.

She tells me her phone has also been having problems. Along with my brother who is also on alltel with a PPC6800, and my mom (LG) and little brothers ( razrv3c)

All my friends who are on Verizon are also mentioning that they have been having problems and it's not specific to any one phone.

So specifically my question is,
    Is the CDMA network down in our area, Eastern Utah around the Price area.

Is this because of the Alltel/Verizon merger?

What's the ETA for restored service?

Thanks

2. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Alright an update, I called around and apparently AT&T cut a cable that affects both wireless companies and a few local businesses. Still no ETA on restoration.

3. rcallen7

rcallen7 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That also happened in Southern Utah a few days ago. A contractor cut a fiber optic line with a backhoe that took out both land lines and cell phones. This happens a lot. One wonders if these guys check with Blue Stakes before they start to dig or simply plunge in and expect that nothing will happen.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Very interesting I had no idea that this had happened.

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    What come on ATT lol. I bet you I know where this was it is where the cables route to the switches.

6. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    These things seem to happen in clusters. But I am curious about "AT&T" in the area. Almost all local trunks are supplied by Qwest, even AT&T's cell sites are connected by Qwest.

The "Blue Stakes" people often mark facilties wrong and their excuse is that the drawings are wrong. The original mapper is usually a contractor who is long gone. With so few people who can held accountable, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Many of these outages in the west are caused by small disasters like landslides and utility pole fires. Qwest maintains a "loop" for every trunk circuit, but Murphy's Law says that 2 outages will occur on that loop, breaking the circuit. Just such an occurance happened last summer along the Colorado-Utah border, so it must be a susceptable area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    In the Eastern Utah area, there are a lot of Gas, Oil and Mining going on. Usually we get between 3-5 power outages during the summer months (June-August) Because someone has cut a line somewhere. Sometimes the lights just flicker, but usually they're like hours long. It just depends on who's power grid your on.