Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Alltel account not bought by Verizon: being sold to Atlantic Tele-Network

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Raz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Raz

Raz New Member

We've been with Alltell for > 10 years. Last year we were told that Verizon would be acquiring Alltel. No problem . . . or so we thought. This year Verizon took over our cell service for the office. We also got a letter from Alltel earlier in the year stating that they were going to retain us (and our area) as customers. Just a day or so ago we got a letter stating that Atlantic Tele-Network (rather their subsidiary: Commnet [a regional carrier]) would be taking over our service.

My very large family are all customers of Alltel. Most of my extended family members were with Alltel until Verizon took over their service. Now it hardly makes sense for us to retain our phone service as is because Alltel/Atlantic Tele-Network will not share free cell to cell with Verizon and visa versa.

Most of us are pretty upset about this change to a regional carrier because chose a national carrier because of the great coverage that we received. We all travel a good bit so that national plan allows us to make calls without roaming charges, long distance fees, etc.

The Verizon rep that came to the office to set up our new service told me that ATN would have to let us out of our contract once they picked up Alltel officially (which is due to happen at the end of the year). He said it's a law that if we want out they have to let us out since we didn't sign a contract with ATN but rather with Alltel. This doesn't sound right to me BUT I do (or will) want to change cell companies once ATN takes over.

Word is at the Alltel store that rate plans will be changed and fees will go up. The Alltel rep there says that he doesn't think that there will be a national plan offered through ATN.

Right now I'm just trying to do my homework so I know what my (or my family's) options are. Has anyone gone through this? Any thoughts on how to handle the situation?

This is the letter that was sent to us (notice that ATN makes no agreements to continue to offer services that we are currently contracted for):

Alltel provides an excellent FAQ about the ATN purchase:
    As you already know, certain Alltel Wireless properties merged with Verizon Wireless in January 2009. As part of the purchase agreement and to preserve competition in certain cellular market areas, Verizon is required to transition some properties to another service provider. Verizon and Atlantic Tele-Network (ATN) have signed a definitive agreement for ATN to purchase some of these cellular market areas. The states represented are: Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina and South Carolina.

ATN is a telecommunications company that provides roaming services for U.S. and international wireless carriers in rural U.S. areas. ATN also provides wireless service in Bermuda, Guyana and Turks & Caicos.
    The goal of ATN is to further develop these former Alltel markets and provide customers the attention and flexibility of a local provider. It will continue to invest in the network and customer service to provide the best customer experience possible. Also, as part of the agreement with Verizon Wireless, nationwide coverage will still be available.
    (States not included are: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming)
    No action is required on your part at this time. Your service will continue "business as usual" until these properties are transitioned to ATN. At this time, the purchase is expected to be completed during the third or fourth quarter of 2009. As we move toward this transition, we will share more information as it becomes available. In the interim period, you will continue to receive the same great service you have come to expect from Alltel.
    Questions about the Purchase:
    When will the sale of my area to ATN be final?
    The sale is subject to regulatory approvals. We cannot predict how long that process will take, but we expect it will be a few months at a minimum before we receive a decision about if and when the transaction may close.
    Are all of the current Alltel customers being sold to ATN?
    About 800k customers in current Alltel transition properties in 6 states are served by the cellular market areas being sold to ATN. Customers in 15 other states are not included in the sale.
    Who is purchasing the remaining cellular market areas that need to be divested?
    Verizon and AT&T have signed a definitive agreement for AT&T to purchase the remaining cellular market areas in 15 other states.
    What changes for customers?
    Today, nothing changes for customers. We will continue to operate the Alltel cellular market areas and they will continue to run business as usual through the regulatory review and approval process. Our corporate teams, sales channels and call centers will remain committed to delivering the superior service and quality products that Alltel customers have come to expect.
    What will happen to Alltel?
    Alltel will continue to serve our cellular market areas until all transitions are complete.
    Service Questions
    My area is included in the transition area, will I still have the same quality of service in my area that I do today?
    Yes. We are still committed to providing you a high quality wireless experience, so the quality of your wireless service will not change during the interim period.
    During the interim period, do I have to stay with Alltel or can I switch to another carrier without paying an Early Termination Fee?
    Under contract:
    If you are currently under contract, an Early Termination Fee will apply should you disconnect before fulfilling your contract.
    Not under contract:
    If you are out of contract, there would be no Early Termination Fee to disconnect. However, we would hate to lose you as a customer, and would love the opportunity to continue providing your wireless service.
    Do I need to do anything during this interim period?
    No, you do not need to do anything additional at this time. As we move through the interim period, more information will be shared as soon as it becomes available.
    Will my 15-Day/30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee still be honored?
    Yes, the 15-Day/30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee will be honored during the interim period.
    How will this impact My Account?
    There is no impact to My Account at this time.
    Rate Plan Questions
    Will there be any changes to my calling plan, features or My Circle?
    We do not anticipate any changes to your calling plan features or My Circle during the interim period as a result of this announcement. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.
    If I cannot keep My Circle, will you let me out of my contract?
    You can keep My Circle during the interim period.
    Can I keep my current plan?
    Yes. You can keep your current plan during the interim period. Any changes will be communicated to you in advance by your new wireless provider.
    Can I still change to other rate plans Alltel offers?
    Yes. You can still change to other plans Alltel offers in your area during the interim period.
    Will I be required to change my rate plan after the interim period?
    At this time, we do not have information regarding potential service changes after the interim period. Any changes will be communicated to you in advance by your new wireless provider.
    Will my coverage area change?
    We do not anticipate any changes to your coverage area during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.
    Will there be any changes to my prepaid service?
    We do not anticipate any changes to your prepaid service during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, the changes will be communicated in advance.
    Why can't I include Verizon customers in my Mobile-to-Mobile group?
    Since your cellular market area is not becoming part of Verizon, your Mobile-to-Mobile calling group cannot be expanded to include those existing Verizon customers. However, we HAVE made arrangements so that your Mobile-to-Mobile calling group has not changed in size. You will continue to be able to call all current Alltel subscribers as part of your Mobile-to-Mobile package, even if those subscribers are in an area that is transferring to Verizon.
    And remember: With My Circle from Alltel, you can have unlimited calling to any 5, 15, or 25 numbers. So you can build your own Mobile-to-Mobile group to include numbers from any carrier--wireless or landline! Any changes to your features or service will be communicated in advance.
    Feature Questions
    Will my Axcess/Alltel Shop applications, such as games, ringtones, and ringbacks still work?
    Yes. All your current applications will continue to work during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service, more information will be communicated in advance.
    Contract Questions
    Is my contract still valid during the interim period?
    Yes. The terms and conditions of your contract are still valid.
    Will my contract still be valid after the interim period?
    If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance by your new provider.
    Why do I have to sign a contract for a new phone when the transition might require me to change phones again?
    You will receive special pricing on your phone when you activate or renew a one-year agreement. Other pricing options are available that don't require a contract.
    Equipment and Accessory Questions
    Can I still purchase Alltel offered equipment and accessories?
    Yes. You can still purchase equipment and accessories Alltel offers in your area during the interim period. You can view all the phones and accessories we have to offer online at alltel.com or at one of your local retail locations.
    Will I be required to change my phone due to the transition?
    It is too early in the interim period to discuss the details surrounding potential handset changes. In the meantime, rest assured that your Alltel handset will continue to work and any required changes to your handset will be communicated in advance.
    If I'm going to have to change phones due to the transition, shouldn't I wait to upgrade?
    At this time, we don't have any details about whether or not you will have to change your phone due to the ATN transition.
    Billing/Payment Questions
    Will there be any changes to my billing statement?
    No. There will not be any changes to your billing statement during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.
    Will my bill still be due on the same day?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your bill due date during the interim period.
    Where do I make payments?
    We have many convenient payment options. You can continue making payments by phone, online, at a retail store or by mailing a payment to the remittance address on your bill. Please visit alltel.com/storelocator for the store locations in your service area.
    Do I still have to pay my bill?
    Yes. The terms and conditions of your service still apply.
    Will my company discount still apply during the interim period?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your rate plan or discount during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.
    Will my military discount and suspend still apply?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your military discount and we will still reserve your number during the interim period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.
    What will happen to the deposit I paid to Alltel?
    Your deposit will continue to be associated with your account. Once the terms and conditions for your deposit refund have been met, the deposit will be refunded to your account.
    General Questions
    Will I need to get a new number?
    No. There will not be any changes to your phone number during the interim period.
    If I have phone numbers from multiple areas on my account, will part of my numbers be moved off of my account?
    No. There will not be any changes to your account at this time. If any changes are made to your account, more information will be communicated in advance.
    Who do I contact if I need help?
    We will be happy to answer any questions about your wireless service or account. Please contact us in any way that is convenient for you:
    Click: Questions can be submitted 24/7 at alltel.com under "Support"
    Call: *611 for free from your wireless phone or 1-800-alltel-1 (800-255-8351)
    Visit: Visit your local Alltel store. To find a complete list of stores that can assist you, please visit alltel.com/storelocator.
    Will I still be able to make changes to my service, rate plan and features through My Account?
    Yes. You can still service your account 24/7, including managing your My Circle numbers, using My Account.
    What if I move during the interim period? How will this impact me?
    Moving within the same local calling area:
    If your move is within the same local calling area, we simply need your new address so we can update your billing information. You can change your billing address by phone, online, or at an Alltel store. Please visit alltel.com/storelocator for the store locations in your area.
    Moving outside of your local area:
    If you are moving to an area outside of your local area and want a local number, we can setup a new account with a local number if we are licensed to sell service in that area.
    Moving to an area retained by Verizon:
    If you are moving to a former Alltel service area, you must get a new number. Your current account will be disconnected and a new account will be activated in the new service area. Please note that if you are under contract, an Early Termination Fee will apply if you disconnect. For further assistance with the new activation you can visit an Alltel store in your new service area.
    Moving outside of the Alltel service area:
    If you are moving outside of the Alltel service area, a new number will be required. Once you have service established with your new carrier you can contact us to have your current Alltel account disconnected. Please note if you are under contract, an Early Termination Fee will apply

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Regardless of the plans ATN will or will not offer, they will honor your current plan. Since you wont have mobile to mobile to Verizon, you could switch your plan to one that includes more minutes and/or more MyCircle numbers without a contract extension.

If you are trying to exit the contract without an ETF, using the fact that ATN is (will be) the owner of Alltel is not going to get it done per Alltel's Terms & conditions:
    The only way to exit the contract fee-free is for Alltel/ATN to introduce an adverse material change.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Raz

Raz New Member

So basically according to those terms and conditions: if ATN decides to increase the cost of our plan because of free roaming, mobile to mobile, etc by 10% then we can cancel without ETF?

4. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I would guess that you're going to get the same level of service at the same cost through the end of your contract, then you'll be able to change providers as you wish. Chances are, if they try to change your features or cost, you'll be able to terminate without an ETF.

It sounds to me that you WILL be maintaining your mobile to mobile with former Alltel/now Verizon customers. You'll probably get the same coverage through free roaming. You still have My Circle (or its available to you) to cover most people.

5. Nextel32708

Nextel32708 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia Lumia 710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Voice/SMS/Data)
    But you have to remember while they might be considered M2M while they *transfer* to Verzion -- if they *switch* to a Verizon plan they most likely will no longer be considered as mobile-to-mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Raz,
    Don't over-react and shoot yourself in the foot! Those people who tell you ATN will raise prices are dead wrong, and are probably trying to scare you into making a move that will profit them. ATN has not decided anything, but has announced they will maintain those very plans and features that make the Alltel network different...and in your case...better.

You will have the same local coverage, however, because ATN's Commnet subsidiary already has roaming agreements with virtually every carrier in the US, your national roaming capabilities may actually improve! Additionally, the process with probably take over a year before it's finalized, so if you stay put, you'll have at least that long to enjoy the same Alltel service. You'll keep your My Circle, M2M and everything else including the same customer service and retail people.

You can start your homework by reading up on Atlantic Tele-Network, then consider how long before you actually need to make a decision. Sit back, relax and watch what ATN does to keep customers. I bet it'll be more than Verizon or AT&T will do.