Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Alltel About To Cancel My Service Due To Voice Roaming?!

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by KyleAndMelissa22, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Well I just got a message from Alltel this morning about a "wireless data card."
    I don't have a phone or wireless device with data capabilities of any kind with my Alltel service.

So I called the number they told me to call 1-877-573-4199 and select option 3.

A lady answered after 5 minutes on hold
    (and a loop every 10 seconds saying my call will be answered ASAP).

I told the lady how I don't have any Wireless Data, never did (I don't even have text)
    and I think the call was in error. She put me on hold to check.

After a few minutes she asked me if I ever moved from my home address.
    I said no, I've lived at the same address for 7 years now,
    and I've been an Alltel customer for 6 of those years.

She asked me if I've made any trips outside my coverage area recently.
    I said no, but I sometimes travel not far to neighboring Spartanburg County SC (used to be native Alltel)
    but I still reside in Gaffney, which stayed Alltel. I live about 5 miles from the county line.
    She put me on hold to check her info again.

After another 5 minutes she informed me that I live in a "fringe area" and that
    Alltel can not continue to provide service to (just) my line,
    the other 2 lines are not affected and one of those is even under contract.
    She said I have until February 6th to "find another provider to port my number to."

Now here's where I have a problem. I've been with Alltel happily for....6 years,
    and I've always paid my bill on time, they've never had any problems
    with me using my phone a lot, and now they do. I've actually been using my phone alot less
    than this time last year, from like 10,000 minutes a month to about 4,000.
    They never said anything when I was using my phone over 10,000 minutes
    almost every month in 2006-2011. Most of those months were about 30-50% roaming.

I do not want to give them up, I like my service and have stayed with them,
    loyally, even through the uncertainty with the merger

Since the other 2 lines are not affected it sounds like I can just add a line on my account
    (with a different number) and keep my Alltel service. Though I don't really wanna change my number,
    I may have to if I wanna stay with them. Still makes no sense of the sudden turning on the customer.

I have an LG AX4270 phone, it is not capable of data or pix, and text is disabled, I only use it to talk.
    I'm gonna head to the Alltel store in Gaffney today directly to see if I could straighten any of this out.
    I really cannot believe they could just flip on a loyal customer (with the same phone even) for 6 years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well I just got back from the local Alltel store (Gaffney SC). and I explained as soon as I walked in the door to one of the reps,
    how I got a call about a "wireless data card" though I've never used any data on any Alltel phone or device, ever.
    Also about the termination of service on Feb 6, and how I don't really leave town too much.

There were about 5 reps in the store, and all couldn't believe it either.
    The one rep who serviced me looked at my account history and saw that I'm in good standing,
    and assured me not to worry, "it's a huge mistake" and she asked for my name and number so she can give it to her manager.
    I kept saying I'm very worried about it, but she told me it should be able to be fixed without a problem.

It's not like I moved to an area of the country where there was never Alltel, and by the way, I'm not in a fringe area,
    I have the ability to use Alltel towers with a good signal, and have access to a local store in case of problems like this.
    They are just suddenly doing this outta nowhere and I've had them for 6 years, loyally, and never been late on my bills.
    Thats where I have a big problem about this whole thing. It can't just suddenly be a problem, they had 6 years to say something.

Also, as my father today pointed out, they decreased the "home native" Alltel system in my area from the whole state of SC
    to just my county when they merged, that is their fault not mine, They notified me that "the coverage area would not change."
    I haven't changed my ways, if anything, usage has gone down. This whole thing is just crazy and they are really testing the patience
    of the most loyal customers...maybe they wanna be out of business. We'll see if talking to them in person today will fix this,
    it seems like it will, but if not I'll get $150 back plus 1 month of service on my line, so that's $220-$250 total and I could just
    change the number and keep Alltel service on this phone (worst case) or I'd have to port it if I want the same number.
    Hopefully they'll fix it as they say, we'll see what happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That is all very strange indeed! Just make sure you check in to the store often to see if they fixed the problem. It also wouldn't hurt to talk to the manager your self. Good luck! :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  4. vthompso2

vthompso2 New Member

Hi, just the other day i recieved the same message from Alltel...called the same # and stayed on hold for at least 10 minutes:censored:. it's funny that you mentioned how you use to be on your phone alot but that's changed significantly because that was the case for me as well :headscrat. The rep told me that i will still have a small bill for the month of feb but even then i dont feel as if i should have to pay that since they are making me find another wireless provider :nono:. the $150 to get a new phone is good however the check doesnt get mailed out until the 6th...luckily i will be able to get a phone, but if i didnt have the money i would be without a phone for about a week. i just think that there is something going on but it's ok because i wanted out my contract anyway now i dont have to pay a temination fee and they're helping to purchase my new phone. :D
    I'm going to a prepaid service provider where i pay only $55 for unlimited compared to the $118 i pay now. Trust me no complaints other than the fact that they should've done this sooner :highclap:

5. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I put in a port request to Alltel to move my old Alltel number (which I moved to Straight Talk
    in early February) right back to Alltel. It took 5 days, but the number port from Straight Talk
    back to Alltel is finally complete. Everything is as it was, same number (MDN) and the same
    MIN/phone as before. No mention from them about my former excessive roaming situation,
    even from the Offline Department, they helped me finish/complete the port yesterday.
    I get another chance, and I got $209.99 for all their trouble. This time I won't leave my phone
    on Verizon at home, and the $500 MaximumSignal amplifier on my house helps even more. :highclap:

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That is great to hear! Hope it's all trouble free from now on. :)

7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Good to hear! I saw their new maps and they prefer Sprint over Verizon for roaming... Ewww. Probably a money saver, though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

8. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In my area they even made US Cellular a preferred roamer over Verizon (in Western NC)
    Now the Alltel PRL goes like this...
    1. Alltel
    2. Sprint
    3. US Cellular
    4. Verizon

Still kinda weird though as it's Verizon's fault that Alltel isn't what it used to be,
    Verizon should be the most preferred, or at least Alltel should be allowed free roaming on Verizon
    (for the carrier) for a few years until Alltel can get it together. It should've been part of the roaming agreement,
    just like AT&T has to keep up the CDMA out west for the next 3 years for Verizon & other CDMA roaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.