Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

All Digital, Non Tri Mode Phone Newbie Questions ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Robert111, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Robert111

Robert111 New Member

Hello:

Rerally not too much into the technology, frankly, but would hate to
    make a mistake now that I'm thinking of getting as new phone.

Confused over the "tri-mode" capability of phones; those having it, and
    those not having it.

e.g., if I get a new Samsung a670 from Verizon which I've been told is all digital, and does Not have the tri mode capability.

What am I giving up, actually ?

I live in metro Boston, but do a lot of vacationing in the "sticks," northern Maine, etc. Have no idea what type of systems they have there.

If I have an all digital phone, what happens if I'm in an analog network area ?

Any explanations of all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Tri-mode 800 MHz (analog) 800 MHz (digital CDMA) 1900 MHz (digital CDMA)
    Dual Band 800 MHz (digital CDMA) 1900 MHz (digital CDMA) "All digital"
    If you go into a area where there is no CDMA or Verizon won't allow you to roam on the CDMA network then your phone will say No Service on a Dual Band phone.
    There are not that many areas where you need analog, but there still are a few places out there.
    In Maine US Cellular does do 800 MHz CDMA, but for some reason Verizon can only roam on analog (don't know why). So you may want to stick to a tri-mode and not a dual band phone.

3. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Do you currently have a tri-mode phone or at least access to one? If so and you can make it up to where you usually vacation, you can tell by the indicator if the phone flips to analog or not. This still doesn't guarantee that you'll never be in a place that' analog only, but you should concentrate on what's important to you. As has been stated many times on these boards, use the 15 day trial and try it where you will be using it.

4. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Bob,

The best thing to do is check Verizon's coverage in your area on their website. I beleive you can zoom in on the area you are interested. If Verizon has coverage in that area, I would go with the tri-mode phone and not worry about it. Plus you do have trial period with the phone. You can always switch it.

I have a tri-mode phone and quite honestly, I hate when it goes to analog mode. It eats up the battery life within a half hour tha is in stand-by mode. The tri-mode phones batteries are designed to work in digital mode.

5. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    In the northeast there are very few analog areas remaining. My personal preference right now is to have a tri mode phone.

As with any phone, I would strongly reccomend one with an extendable rather than stub antenna.

6. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    My vx6000 has a stub, and it gets good reception. Better than my Kyocera with an extendable. Besides, a lot of people don't bother extending their antenna anyway.

7. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    All things being equal (distance from tower etc) CDMA technology is dependent on antenna length.

While I have had the 6000 and was happy with it my wife's Motorola 270c, my old V60i and my present Audiovox 9900 run rings around the 6000 as far as reception goes. All have extendable antennas.

Look here for an explanation on antenna length and CDMA reception

http://home.san.rr.com/denbeste/antenna.html

8. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    If you frequent the "sticks", tri-mode is the way to go. I can give you 1st hand experience.

We camp north of Andover ME every summer. The nearest cell tower is about 10-15 miles away, but its way up on a mountain.

My trusty Nokia 3589i, known for its signal holding power, was giving me at least two bars of digital signal from U.S. Cellular SID 1317 (-95dBm). However I was not able to make a call. Forcing the phone into analog I was able to make a call. Analog operates with slightly higher wattage (0.6w vs 0.2w-0.4w IIRC), which probably explains why I could make the call in analog.

I will say the my old Startac 7868 outperforms the 3589i quite handily in analog. Next time we go camping there I am switching service to the 7868. The strongest signal in the area is Unicel, and Verizon pulled free roaming on that system (SID 1314). So it's U.S. Cellular or nothing now.

PS: To whomever can't digitally roam on U.S. Cellular, update your roaming list by dialing *228 option 2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    All very good information. I'm assuming my phone is optimized for 1900MHz. Maybe not the best choice for my area where VZW has at least 800MHz almost everywhere. The fact remains that many people won't extend their antenna. There are other things we could teach about cell phone use, too....