Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Albany, I87, Adirondacks, Champlain Valley

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by UpstateNY, Sep 25, 2005.

1. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

usually the phone screen will tell you the name of
    the carrier.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Walt - this is good news. I was just searching the web for suggestions on which carrier to go with and am glad I came upon your post. I'm originally from Vermont, Thetford, which is very close to Bradford. I'm looking for a cell phone for my parents and have been trying to choose between verizon and Cingular. Although it doesn't seem to be advertised very well, GSM service in Vermont is actually getting much better and I think is comparable to CDMA (Verizon). I used to have Verizon (last year), and whenever I came up to Vermont (i'm currently in NYC), I would get OK servide, but it would all be analog. I currently switched to Tmobile, and was in Vermont a couple months ago and the service was actually pretty good! I was able to get 3 bars pretty much everywhere I went.

In doing more research on GSM and Cingular, I heard that Cingluar subscribers can use GAIT, which is a remnant of ATT's old service. I think this is comparable to AMPS for Verizon. However, in order to use GAIT, you have to buy a GAIT equiped phone, which cingular no longer sells but WILL support - see: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-NOKIA...827482121QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. T

As you can tell, I'm not sure about all the specifics. Can anyone verify this information or am i speaking all nonsense? Second thing - I heard Cingular did in fact sign a contract with Unicel to provide service to Cingular users in Vermont. Hence, one can roam on their towers without being charged. Taking both these things into account (GAIT and Unicel roaming), I'm guessing that cingular users with a GAIT phone would have the best chance at getting coverage, since they would have access to both.

After doing all this research, I'm still back to my original question - which is better? I'm actually beginning to lean toward Cingular, especially after seeing Walt's message. However, I know that Verizon is pretty much the best provider in the nation, but I myself have experienced mediocre service from them myself in VT ( i also had a tri-band phone - Moto v60i at the time). One last thing - i noticed that when i was using my Verizon moto on analog, the battery life plummetted. I don't think this was the case with my tmobile phone last time I was in Vermont (the screen read MHZ 850, which I'm guessing is what Unicel uses). In addition, with my Tmobile blackberry, i was able to get blackberry service while roaming in Vermont - I thought this was very cool. Can someone verify that this works for Cingluar in Vermont? Does Verizon let you do this as well?

thanks guys, sorry for all long post but I have alot of questions. :)

3. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

Over the last few years Unicel has probably added many new sites without Analog channels.......leaving Analog coverage the same while digital GSM coverage has grown quite well. They have to keep analog up til sometime in 2008 but they don't have to keep building it out. People don't quite get it......usually by upgrading you will get the same or better coverage. Here where I live people still have TDMA phones and Cingular has added alot of GSM only sites and their coverage has grown alot......but people are reluctant to upgrade. The OP probably could have upgraded to Unicels GSM plan and network and gotten better coverage........

4. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    Unicel's TDMA/AMPS coverage is still superior in most parts of Eastern NY & Northern New England. It's been over a year and they still do not have GSM on all towers! It's amazing.

There are still many sections of these areas that have no GSM whatsoever. They do have CDMA/TDMA/AMPS.

In comparison, USC had 100% of CDMA running across the entire network the day they announced the new network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

How about the bettery life though? My verizon phone had really crappy battery life when it was on analog. My blackberry did not seem to be affected by the GSM 850 or whatever unicel uses.

reflectig on the big picture, i think GSM is starting to take off in the US. As a former Verizon user, I can really attest to their network - there were rarely any places where I could not get coverage, and I travel alot! However, I've noticed a big jump in GSM service within the last year. I was impressed with my blackberry service while in Vermont a couple months ago. In on section of my house, i cannot get signal enough to make a call, but was able to get emails! This was unheard of a year or two ago!

6. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Not sure if any of you guys are int blackberry hardware, but looks like Verizon will be getting a new blackberry/phone this month, check it out here (not on their website but will be the same as this one shown here):

http://www.businessonthego1.com/english/wp_blackberry_bb7130e.asp

I have the 7100T for Tmobile, the same type of phone. They are really kicka$$! Typing is fast and easy. However, the service sux - but this will be remedied by Verizon hopefully.

This brings me back to the question - I don't think I'll be able to get email on this phone while roaming on whomever's CDMA network in VT. GSM roaming in VT allows email AND GPRS (or maybe GPR? There is a difference) and data transfer. Again, this is amazing to me. I was in Hanover NH and was sending emails like crazy! Hope Verizon offers the same or I'll be seriously bummed!!

7. dmarkson

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon data does not roam on USC as far as I know at this point.

The good news is that Verizon has native coverage in Lebanon/Hanover.

8. jones

[​IMG]

9. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    The map shows very little Cingular coverage in the areas questioned by the original poster.

10. jones

Albany is covered.

11. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    From what I hear, Verizon is working on DATA Roaming agreements. Some ALLTEL areas have already been opened up to this AFAIK and more areas with ALLTEL and other carriers are to follow before years' end if everything goes well.

12. jones

This Coverage Maps are Just a Reference.
    You could be in a dead Spot where the Map says it's Covered.

13. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    He was especially interested in the Champlain Valley and the Adirondaks.
    It appears on the map that Cingular has no coverage above Glens Falls. I'm sure most carriers have coverage in Albany, the Capitol of NY State.

Verizon maps show coverage along Rt 87 (the Northway). Which passes through the areas of interest of the OP. The Cingular map does not. The rest of the area of interest shows very little coverage for anyone.

14. jones

It worked from Northern NJ to Glen Falls when i was there.
    What towns are they by the way above Glen Falls,
    do you live up there?
    My VZW phone would also go to Analog Mode.
    I went home after Glen Falls,
    Some posters here say they are I87 near the Canadian Border
    they are Getting Rogers.
    They will cover that area since I87 is a Major route.
    Albany to Buffalo, and Albany to Binghamton Cingular GSM coverage is great.

#44 jones, Nov 13, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  15. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Albany to Buffalo or Binghamton are not the areas of interest to the OP. I have traveled those routes many times and VZW CDMA has excellent coverage as well.

16. jones

i know, but VZW binghampton to albany some dead spots.
    But have you gone above Glens Falls?
    I don't think there are Factory Outlets above Glens Falls,
    north of this Area there's No Life,
    Below of this area No problems.

#46 jones, Nov 13, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  17. jones

Cingular is not the carrier if it's above Lake George.

18. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

Cingular is just not a reasonable option in Vermont's Champlain valley.

19. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Actually I've a couple of occasions to call Cingular since I signed on. Other than waiting a while to get through to a live person, the customer service was excellent. I had a few questions on my first bill, which she fully explained.

The only other problem so far is that I haven't been able to establish an online account yet. Customer services says they have been having problems with that (something to do with intergrating former ATT customers) anyway and that it should clear up soon.

I was ecen able to swap my Nokia 6010 towards a Nokia 6102 which I think will work out better, however there are still a few things I haven't figured out on it.

20. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It's always said "Cingular", so they must have a deal with Unicel for this area. In fact I wish I could get rid of or relocate the word because it's right in the middle of my screensaver.

21. jones

it's good their coverage works fors you.

22. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Hey, I lived near Thetford Hill for over 12 years. We used to played volleyball behind the post office every Tuesday eveing. Great town.

As for the Cingular service, all I can say is so far it's been great. Haven't found any place from about St J to WR Juc along I-91 that we don't get at least 3 bars (usually full signal). Can also verify around Bradford, Fairlee, Newbury & Wells River Vt and North Haverhill, Woodsville, Piermont and West Lebanon / Hanover NH area, have all been fine.

23. jones

http://unicel.com/zone46/products_services/maps/art/Unlimited_Detail.pdf

24. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    That's the exact same reply you gave me a couple of weeks ago. Is there something "between the lines" that I'm not catching? Like when's the other shoe going to fall regarding this great Cingular coverage in Vt / NH ?:confused:

All I know is that when my wife is out and about with a car full of kids, she'll be more likely to get a signal if she needs it. For years we had little to no signal with Unicel / CellularOne and everytime I called them, they said their 3 watt "bag phone" was still the best for signal in our area. If they had just explained about this GSM thing I'd have jumped at it and still be one of their customers.

25. jones

26. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    If you look for Barre Vt, I'm just to the right of the last "e", about 1/2 mile west of the NH border, maybe a little north. I'm about a 1000 feet east of I-91. It looks like I'd be in the white, no-coverage area but it's hard to tell.

My guess though is if I still had Unicel and the same Nokia GMS phone I have with Cingular, I'd probably get the same signal reception.

My UPS driver has a Verizon phone and he says he gets good signals all over our area too.

27. jones

[​IMG]

how's your coverage in that area?

28. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Like I've been saying, I get a good signal all over the Bradford area, North & South on I-91, White River, Vt, Hanover / Lebanon NH.

29. wangta01

wangta01 New Member

Walt, you haven't by chance driven through Sharon,South Royalton or Strafford have you? I'm just curious if you receive service in this section of Vermont.

Thanks!

30. dmarkson

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I hate to be a non-believer, but I do not believe the Unicel GSM coverage northeast of Concord. VZW and USC (both CDMA) have the 850 licenses. Cingular and T-Mo have not built out that area. It seems highly unlikely that Unicel has built out that entire area, much of it sparsly populated, with PCS the past 6 months!