Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Albany, I87, Adirondacks, Champlain Valley

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by UpstateNY, Sep 25, 2005.

1. UpstateNY

UpstateNY New Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am curious as to what carriers you think or can recommend that will work in Albany, I87, Adirondacks, and the Champlain Valley. I am especially interested in the Champlain Valley, specifically Ticonderoga and its surrounding areas.

I currently have Tmobile, there service coverage has yet to improve in the above areas. I heard Sprint and Verizon should have service there, but a Sprint brick store rep stated "no." Verizon does seem to have service, but the brick store map and the online map disagree on whether or not the service is in fact digital service. Store rep said I would roam in Ticonderoga, while the online coverage map appears to show that it is in fact w/in digital coverage.

From what I have heard from other sources and this forum before, Cingular should be able to roam up there, no where can I see that info on their website. A brick & mortar rep told me and showed me their coverage up there and even there roaming and it would appear that its a no go as well. Its funny about the map I was shown tho, some random roaming in the middle of the woods high up in the mountains in Ticonderoga. Also on that map the next town up, Crown Point, seemed to be covered yet has very little population, granted Ticonderoga only has maybe 6k, but that is still more then Crown Point has.

From what I can tell, Verizon seems like the best bet, they do of course have coverage in Albany, all along I87 it would seem, some of the Adirondacks, and the Champlain Valley. Does that agree with what everyone has seen, heard, and/or know?

I am also trying to figure out where might be the best place to get said plan and phone. Some websites offer deals they seem attractive, but do have their catches. Any suggestions on phones themselves is always greatly appreciated, all I need is a phone that can do txt messages, a fairly comprehensive contact list, and a good sampling of phone rings, the rest is just icing on the cake (altho the Vcast functionality is cool, its not quite cool enough to be mandatory). Also, I think I will need a phone capable of analog roaming (Vcast phones that I have seen are lacking this functionality).

Thank you ahead of time for having the patience to read this long post and also thank you for any help you can give me.

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Cingular Wireless Continues to Expand Upstate New York Network
    Plans to Invest More Than $100 Million in 2005

BUFFALO, N.Y., Aug. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- The nation's largest wireless voice and data network is getting larger in upstate New York. Cingular Wireless plans to invest more than $100 million this year in its upstate New York network integrating the Cingular and AT&T Wireless networks; increasing coverage; building new sites; and offering enhanced new features. This local network investment is part of Cingular's estimated $6.2 billion national capital expenditure program this year.

"Better coverage is what wireless customers want, and better coverage is exactly what Cingular is delivering," said Robert P. Holliday, vice president and general manager of Cingular Wireless, New York State. "In 2005, we are continuing to make a huge investment in technology specifically targeted for the upstate New York region. We're delivering a network that is growing bigger and more powerful every day."

Cingular has already added more than 40 new cell sites in upstate New York in 2005.

In greater Buffalo, for example, new cell sites improve service in the North Collins, Lancaster, and West Seneca parts of Erie County. To the north, new sites enhance coverage in Pendleton, South Lockport, and in Tonawanda.

In the Rochester region, new cell sites improve regional coverage in Pittsford, Geneseo, Webster, Nunda, Naples, western Wayne county, and Mendon.

In central New York, new sites enhance service in Syracuse, Utica, Rome, Watertown, Ithaca, Deruyter, Harrisville, Volney, Tully, Brasher Falls, and Saint Lawrence City. Additional new sites improve coverage in Sennett, Ava, King Ferry, Venice, Oswegatchie, Rodman, Salisbury, Norfolk, Croghan, Moravia, Alexandria and Burdett.

In greater Albany, including the Hudson Valley region, new cell sites improve the customer experience in Glenmont, Johnstown, Amsterdam, Fonda, Niskayuna, Warrensberg and Kingsbury.

Since Cingular's merger with AT&T Wireless last year, the company has focused on "raising the bar" in terms of high-quality coverage, reliability and reach. With the integration of the two networks underway and slated to be completed in upstate New York before year's end, many customers are already reaping the benefits. Cingular technicians and other third-parties will drive test its national network nearly 30 million miles in the next year to improve wireless coverage and quality. That's the equivalent of more than 50 round trips to the moon to ensure customers receive the best possible wireless experience in the United States.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Your post fails to say anything about the areas the poster is interested in.

Nice commercial for Cingular but substitute the word Verizon for Cingular and the same can be said.

4. jones

maybe you know,
    why don't you tell us.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You will be good with Verizon. I have a vacation house on Lake George (Hague) and Go to Ti often. Signal in Ti is good and all the way to bridge to Vermont. Cingular does not work in Ti as of 3 weeks ago.

6. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Not having traveled in this area recently I wouldn't know the answer to the question. Living in NY State I know enough about its geographic areas.

One thing I do know, you have no clue otherwise you would have answered the poster without wasting bandwidth by posting propoganda that had absolutely NOTHING to do with the question.

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Jones, I can post network upgrade/expansion information from ANY carrier, this doesn't help the OP since every carrier is investing in every state, but that doesn't answer the OP's question.

8. UpstateNY

UpstateNY New Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Okay..Jones while I do appreciate your inclusion of that press release, it does not really help me at all. The only news there is that Warrensburg will get a tower. While good news, it does not help me out at all.

Ushutup..thank you for your help, that answers my question. Maybe you can answer another question, is it roaming in Ti? Or is it actual digital service?

I am also trying to figure out where might be the best place to get said plan and phone. Some websites offer deals they seem attractive, but do have their catches. Any suggestions on phones themselves is always greatly appreciated, all I need is a phone that can do txt messages, a fairly comprehensive contact list, and a good sampling of phone rings, the rest is just icing on the cake (altho the Vcast functionality is cool, its not quite cool enough to be mandatory). Also, I think I will need a phone capable of analog roaming (Vcast phones that I have seen are lacking this functionality).

(above paragraph reposted) Again any help, as always is appreciated.

9. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ti is not roaming. It is native VZW digital 1x. Your best bet is to get a motorola v276 which is a trimode phone(digital and analog) as there are analog areas in the Adirondacks. v276 is the best no frills phone in regards to reception that Verizon has out now. I highly recomend it.

10. UpstateNY

UpstateNY New Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    once again thank you for the quick response, you answered my questions quickly and apparently accuratety..thanks once again. Now all I need to do is find a place to get the phone, brick & mortar stores never seem to have as good deals as online, such as wirefly or amazon. Have to see have to see.

11. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad I could help.:) I haven't ordered cell service online, so unfortunately i can't give any advice on that subject. Goodluck.

12. Letitride

Letitride Member

My Phone:
    Moto K1m/V3m/E815//V60s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T
    We go up to the Lake George region from NYC every Fall and VZW services never failed us - excellent digital signal, txt message & mobile web all worked nearly everywhere close to civilization, along the eastern shoreline including Ti & up past Port Henry (Rt. 9N) and on the western shoreline (Rt. 17 & 22A) in VT as we checked out the foilage. It worked on the car ferry crossing Lake Champlain. The Adirondack region is big and if VZW phones like the V276 can't even an analog signal, I doubt that anything or any other carriers can do it either - might as well find a pay phone or a landline and get a satellite phone. For short-range, point-to-point communications, get a pair of GMRS radios to stay in touch.

We now have the Moto E815 and V276 for which reception and RF are excellent (equal to the all digital E815) - V276 is only $50 on 2 year promo pricing from online - which is likely equal or better than corporate store price in the Capitol district. We ordered ours and FedEx delivered on day #3 free from their Texas warehouse and a 10 minutes call got it activated free from *611 as online activation somehow didn't go through.

13. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

I live outside Burlington, VT and am fairly happy with Verizon. There are some surprising dead areas, including a few heavily traveled/populated roads, but generally I get my calls through.

Sprint, which I cancelled 2 years ago, was pretty bad. Worked in some towns, not in others. They may have improved since then.

My daughter-in-law says Unicel service is the best here -- she lives in the boondocks, so their coverage in outlying areas of northern VT may be even better than Verizon's.

I should add that my Verizon service worked fine last weekend, when I visited Albany.

14. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Does USCC offer sevice in these areas?

15. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

Service map looks spotty in NYS, but they have a national plan that lets you use other carriers on your included minutes.

16. Nascar65

Nascar65 New Member

I travel in a RV, This summer took a trip from Lake George NY to Lake Placid NY up and around Rousse Point down to Waterbury VT over to Danville VT.
    Thru New Hampshire & Up to Bar Harbour ME, Had Nothing but Trouble with Cingular, EVERYONE who got reception at the campgrounds were using Verizon.

17. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

I don't think Cingular is even in the running in Vermont. They really don't exist here. It's basically Verizon and Unicel, with Sprint a somewhat distant 3rd.

18. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    USC recently added PCS service in the area, but its no match for Verizon and Unicel in northern VT.

19. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    Those are some tough areas for any provider :) Unicel looks to have the best coverage in northern VT, but they have not fully deployed GSM. Their TDMA/AMPS system is still #1. Verizon is strong along the main routes, but surprisingly lacking off the beaten path. I don't know of any Cingular coverage in VT.

In Northern NH, USC is #1 and Unicel is weak and non-existant in many areas (as is GSM in general). I was in the Twin Mtn NH area a couple weeks ago, and there was strong USC CDMA/TDMA/AMPS, a fair/weak Unicel TDMA/AMPS signal (no GSM) and a weak Verizon PCS signal. That was it for cell coverage.

20. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

FWIW, I can also report that I took the Burlington-Port Kent ferry, then Amtrak down to Albany. Using VZW, I could call from both sides of the lake. In the train, coverage tended to disappear between stations, but I usually got a decent signal while we were stopped. Of course, in Albany it was very good.

21. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Just joined this forum and really don't know squat about any of this.

I did just buy into a Cingular plan with 3 Nokia phones and I live in central Vermont, right on NH border.

All I can say is Cingular totally blows away what I had with Unicel. Although I had absolutly no complaints with Unicel's customer services for over 6 years, we could hardly ever get a decent signal around here. We have a big family (8 kids) and the thought of my wife stranded on some Vt backroad with them always made me nervious.

We had the bulky "bag" phones because Unicell (was Cellular One) told us that they were a full 3 watts wereas the smaller hand-held pnones were only .7 watts and less likely to get any signal.

We stuck with Unicel so long because we though we had no choice. Then we heard from some local friends that they'd were able to get Cingular service by calling a company in Eastern New Hampshire. We did and had 3 little phones and a Family "share" plan in our mailbox the next day.

I don't know how they're able to do it but we couldn't be happier with the service so far (1 week). Have yet to find anyplace we couldn't get a signal and my wife can now talk as long as she wants to the oldest kid that's away at school.

WaltinVt

22. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    According to this very reliable website ,Cingular has no service in VT. It says you will roam on Unicel.

http://www.cellguru.net/

I punched in the Zip of your location Bradford Vermont on the Cingular website. According to them they do not service that area.

Explanation??

23. powerdog

powerdog Junior Member

Walt, I can't explain your Cingular reception in Bradford, but I hope you don't rely on your phone in the rest of VT. I think you'll find little or no coverage without roaming.

24. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I see from a map that Bradford is right next to I-91, so the Cingular coverage must be from the RoadRunner project. Did you get a local phone number? Cingular doesn't offer service in VT or Western/Northern NH, unless you used an address from somewhere else. Away from the Interstate, you will still be roaming on Unicel. You would probably have had the same good coverage from Unicel with a new GSM Nokia phone, but if Cingular is working well for you, welcome to the family!

25. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Don't have one. Just know we bought the service from an outfit in Eastern NH and it seems to work fine around my area in Vt. The plan has no roaming charges and unlimited / anytime with other Cingular users, so it works a whole lot better than what we had.

26. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Well I live in Bradford, Vt which is about halfway up the state, right on the NH border. So far we haven't found anyplace we can't get a good signal. My wife went down to White River Junction, Vt & Lebanon Nh and never lost the signal. That's 35-45 miles away from were we live.

The only explaination I've heard that makes sense is that Cingular just roams the Unicell coverage but since there's no roaming charges, it's a moot point.

27. waltinvt

waltinvt New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6201
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    The numbers they gave are were all Concord, NH numbers (738).

No we used our real address and never had any intention of doing anything that wasn't ok. My wife's sister told us about it and we called the same Cingular dealer in NH to set it up. We had the phones in the mail the next day, fully charged and working.

As for "away from I-91" & roaming", the plan doesn't have any roaming charges, so I guess that's not a problem. It's 700 anytime minutes and unlimited / anytime with other Cingular customers.

28. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I don't doubt thatyou didn't do anything that wasn't ok but I can't see a Major carrier issuing service to an address in a Zipcode in which they do not claim coverage. I think it was the dealer that wanted to make a sale. I guess you'll find out when you have some sort of issue with Cingular and they tell you you're out of luck beacause we don't offer coverage in your area. Hope that doesn't happen though.

29. jones

It's good it works for you.

30. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Cingular doens't have a roaming rule, though do they?
    If they really didn't want someone to sign up for their service outside their native area, they shouldn't have dealers' computers allow them to put an address in there that's not in a native service area.
    I guess Cingular will be paying a lot to Unicel.