Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AirTel Montana

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Ryan Olson, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ryan Olson

Ryan Olson New Member

Many of the PSAPs in Montana have sent Phase II leters to AirTel Montana. But there has been no response; it's like they fell off the map. AirTel uses iDen technology and is located in several of Montana's "larger" cities. Does anyone know the status of AirTel? Are they being purchased by NexTel or something? Do they have a Phase II waiver? Any help would be appreciated.

2. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    As far as I know they still exist. They're a totally unprofessional operation. I once went into their store in Missoula to find out anything I could about their service. The smell in that place made it impossible to stay in there more than a couple minutes and it was messy and a joke.

I'd never want to count on those guys to give me phone service. I think they built the network hoping to sell it to Nextel and when Sprint (who has shown they have no interest in Montana AND who is phasing out iDEN...) bought Nextel, they got more than they were bargaining for...

Mark

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Mark, sorry to inform you but, you are wrong on both accounts.

First, Sprint does have interest in Montana; they own liscenses in Montana (and in every other U.S. state), and they allow Alltel to use that liscense (and Sprint spectrum) to broadcast ALLTEL equipment - yet Sprint phone see it as HOME/NATIVE service. So yes, Sprint does have an interest in Montana.

Secondly, iDEN is not fading out. There have been countless press releases all over the place telling us about how Sprint is committed to iDEN. I mean new iDEN only phones are coming out, the Hybrids are popular, and they are constantly putting up new iDEN sites.

So... hope I clarified a few things.

-PCSuser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

You're right they're interested in MONTANA - for tourists. Just not in serving MONTANANS.

As for iDEN, I was pretty sure it's already being announced that Sprint plans to make iDEN government-only in the future.

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Very well put.:)