Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

AirTel Montana is gone...

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by markuhde, Feb 24, 2009.

1. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    ... like yesterday is gone.

AirTEL Wireless has ceased opera

I can't say I'm not very glad of this. I feel awful for their customers given the way they chose to go out of business, but I'm glad they're gone. All they did was give the illusion of more competition than there really was. They were a joke. Not only was the coverage nearly non-existant, but I went to the store in Missoula once to check it out. They were rude and the place was dirty as can be and smelled horribly of cat urine (or something similar). Seriously... it felt more like some seedy underground thing than a cell phone shop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    They ceased opera?!?! How did they do that?

But really, it always sucks to see a carrier go down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

I wish they hadn't ripped off their customers and ran into the night with all their money, but as I note it certainly didn't surprise me.

And in some ways, I'm glad. All their assets have to end up somewhere now... Maybe in the hands of Sprint Nextel? Of course would they even want them at any price given there's no Sprint CDMA coverage here?

4. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
  5. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Not much at all, LOL. They were a joke of a carrier. However that does cover over 90% of the population in Montana to be fair...

6. JasonLAllerdings

JasonLAllerdings Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Octane
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I don't think Nextel will snatch it up, not enough customer base for the cost - esp. if you wind-up having to pay back whoever has frozen AirTel's accounts and the coverage does suck (from a friend who had it).

7. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

The network is in theory a valuable asset, won't it most likely get auctioned off in an attempt to pay back creditors? Or perhaps just the equipment on the network and Sprint will put it to use elsewhere...

8. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Who knows what will happen. As far as I can tell, Nextel has no coverage there what so ever, so adding this small blip of network would make a nice addition for them. Also, since this network is now shut down, current Nextel users will have nothing even to roam on up there, even for 911.

9. ttiiggy

ttiiggy New Member

My AirTel phone still works in Bozeman area as of ~10:00 this morning.
    Am I missing out on something to whine about? :))

10. JasonLAllerdings

My Phone:
    LG Octane
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You're an oddity then since AirTel stopped operation last weekend. Don't jinx it.

11. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Okay, while it works gather any and all information you can. MCC-MNC you're on, what the phone says, any info you can gather would totally rock.

12. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

There is no Sprint CDMA or iDEN coverage in Montana. I know AirTel's original plan was to sell to Nextel and make a quick buck. Sprint, which has never had any desire to cover Montana (one of their affiliates was going to but Sprint put a stop to that), bought Nextel. That was NOT in AirTel's plans...

13. ttiiggy

ttiiggy New Member

Still works tonight.

I don't know what "MCC-MNC" is. :confused:

14. montanatech

montanatech New Member

After some research, the situation at AirTEL may not be as simple as it appears. Some of the coverage in Montana was built out by an affiliate that was not in trouble with creditors or in the position of having to shut down. This is why some areas like Bozeman are still working to some extent. However, it doesn't sound like it will be long before these areas too will stop as AirTEL is likely loosing or having to shut down their switch operations as well.

1 person likes this.
  15. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Interesting MontanaTech...

Mobile Country Code - Mobile Network Code

I've never touched an iDEN phone and don't know if you can see this easily but it's the network code used to ID a network in GSM, iDEN networks have them too for interoperability but I don't know if you can see it. If you can I'm curious what it is...

Montanatech, anything you find out would be a great contribution!

16. bttegrl

bttegrl New Member

The phones in Butte are still on as well. For now...

17. bttegrl

bttegrl New Member

Your right. Butte and Bozeman stores were only affiliates to the AirTel company and ran under a completely different owner. And that is why the phones in those two areas are still on. He is probably letting people's plans run out then shut them all down.

18. montanatech

montanatech New Member

from what i understand the corporate entity back east is basicly forcing the local affiliate out of buisness with them.

19. JasonLAllerdings

My Phone:
    LG Octane
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I wish a good company like Sprint/Nextel would come into Montana and give Verizon a run. But oh well.

20. bttegrl

bttegrl New Member

Yeah they did take the affiliate stores down with them.

21. ttiiggy

ttiiggy New Member

Found the phone had "No Service" at ~10:00 on Friday morning. Guess AirTel is truely gone. :(

I guess I lost a week & 1/2 of service that I paid for. Not as bad as the whole month like some that PAID last Friday. :mad:

My last automatic monthly payment was Feb 2. They better not try to charge me in March! :eek:

OT: Seems like I was in Bozeman ~10 years ago with a Nextel phone and it was functional.
    Nextel used to have service in MT? or was it roaming on AirTel's (somebody's?) iDEN network? ??