Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- Airave

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by leerobea, Oct 17, 2009.

1. leerobea

leerobea New Member

I am using a sprint airave in mexico a mile and a half from the us border. I also use cablemas as my internet provider. At times my cable service gets disconnected by me. Their service has been very reliable. When i try to reconnect the airave i have problems and cannot get the airave to work. All blue lights come on except the system light. Sprint has been able to reconnect it two times. Does anyone know if sprint(airave) has problems with some internet companies?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    This would be my first guess. The AirRave is sensing that the IP address it has received is foreign (Not USA), and has barred the device. My guess is each time your internet is interrupted and you call Sprint, all they are doing is manually overriding this for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leerobea

leerobea New Member

That's what i'm thinking too. Is there anything else that will increase my reception? I get reception outside but have poor to no reception inside. Thanks for your response.

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think the airave is the best solution, provided your internet isn't interrupted on a daily basis. Your only other option is to buy a repeater & external antenna, which may be expensive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm surprised the GPS system allows your Airave to work in Mexico. How are you even able to have Sprint service with a Mexico address?

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Maybe its the GPS that they're overriding then?

7. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Exactly. That is the main purpose of the GPS on the airave, to make sure the unit is within the US. (other than for E911) I guess Sprint is over-riding the GPS lock. I did not think they could even do that.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would be very surprised if they were willing to do that (especially in another country). I've heard a number of others who were not able to use an Airave because of the GPS issue and efforts to get around it through Sprint were unsuccessful. Not saying I don't believe the OP but something doesn't quite add up here unless Sprint's system is getting fooled into thinking the OP is actually in CA instead of Mexico and a U.S. address is being used to establish the account.

#8 larry, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    It could be that since he is so close to the border that when viewed on a large map of the USA it may look like a GPS error, and then they're overriding it?

10. leerobea

leerobea New Member

i live in the united states and have another home in Mexico. remember, i am still close to sprint towers. sprint gives "some" service inside mexico within 1 to 2 miles of the us border. not sure what they are overriding but it does work unless i mess up and uplug the airave. any suggestions on what else i could use?

11. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I, too, don't expect the Airave to work without a GPS location determined to be within the USA, where Sprint's PCS licenses are valid. The "incorrect" IP address is much more minor, in my opinion.

For uninterrupted service inside your casa' de Mexico using Sprint, you need to convert to a repeater system. With a Yagi aimed across the border, and an omni inside the house, you should not be interrupted until Sprint lowers the signal aimed your way.

I second Jay2TheRescue in this matter.

COtech