Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Air Force Combat Comm Clip on CNN

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by RadioRaiders, Jun 7, 2012.

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Ha-ha, this was my old job back in the 90's :D "Combat Communications" is mainly all about setting up initial communications in an empty field, and keeping yourselves protected and sustained until the "rest of the troops" get there. It's basically packing up equipment on pallets (radios, food, tents, weapons, etc.), loading them in a truck/plane, taking them somewhere, and setting it all up so that communications is in place when everyone else shows up ("First in, last out"). Then living there in a dirty tent for a while. Then eventually packing it all up and taking it back again. :patriot:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

...if you look at the 1:42 mark, it looks like they still have the same tropo-scatter radios as when I was there:

Me in 1990's
    [​IMG]

CNN clip from 2012:
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    2 people like this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    The difference seems to be you had clean air to breathe back in the 90s :D

3. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Not inside those tents, sleeping with 10 guys who hadn't showered in a week :help: Good thing we always took gas-masks with us ;):p

...I don't know what mask the guy is wearing in the pic from the 2012 clip (looks like a paint-ball mask or something), we had old-school charcoal-filter gas-masks like this:
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for sharing. Do you ever miss the Air Force life?

5. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Yes and no. It was a great experience and I'm proud to have been a part of it. However Combat Comm was a rough life, and I don't think I would have wanted to make a career of it. Maybe if I was fixed comm instead of mobility I might have thought about staying in the "Chair Force" :)P), but once you are in "the Mob" it's hard to get out ;) Were / are you in the AF as well?

6. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Currently am. It's a good life.