Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Advise on best cell phone plan / model?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by normanhathaway, Mar 10, 2005.

1. normanhathaway

normanhathaway New Member

Hello,

I've just moved back to the States, after 15 years in London, and am shopping for a cell phone plan, and possibly a new handset.

I have an old Motorola V-60. I bought a temporary prepaid T-Mobile SIM card for it- but want to settle on a long term solution.

If possible, I'd like to avoid getting a land line in my apartment, and just use the cell. I'm not really a heavy blabber either.

I DO need o make weekly calls to the UK though, and was thinking of signing up with a secondary service that can provide cheap international rates.

Don't know if this is pertinent or not- but I'll also be signing up for cable or dsl at the apartment.

Am also a design snob too.

Any owners of big brains out there have any advice?
    Would be deeply appreciated.

Norman

2. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you're looking for a "stylish" phone, you'll probably have to stick with a GSM provider. The stylish CDMA phones don't make it to the US.

Are you going to be using the phone mostly in NYC? Do you need any extra options like data or TXT messages? Start shopping around--visit stores and websites to check things out. Advice can only go so far.

3. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If you can get Time Warner Cable in NYC, go for that. Bunch of my friends have it and it's pretty much T1 speed for around $50.00/month.

I didn't have that choice so I went with Verizon DSL. I'm supposed to be getting 768K but it's more like 550-600K for $35.00/month.

4. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

1st rule of Wireless: Carrier first, phone second.

All the cool features in the world do you no good if the phone doesn't work where YOU need it.

Don't impulse buy based on slick commercials. Get past the slogans (ABC carrier stinks, XYZ carrier is the pits, my carrier ROCKS!) from folks who do not use their phones where you will be using yours.

Talk to folks who use their phones where you live and breathe : work, school, shopping, home , along the same highways and roads you will travel. Find out who their carrier is and do they get good coverage?

Ask more than one from each carrier in case some of them just have low grade (not same as inexpensive in all cases), handsets that wouldn't be satisfactory anywhere.

Once you settle on carrier, you can shop their plans while looking at phones. Do NOT go with a carrier based on price. Believe it, $5-10 a month will not make up for not having service in the places you need it. (Ask the many people stuck with a situation where they now would gladly pay $10 more to actually have service that works).

When shopping phones, check out sources such as JD Power & Assoc ratings of handsets, http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/jdpa_ratings/wireless/Find.jsp?s=6
    as well as Consumer Reports http://www.consumerreports.org/main...ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=333133&bmUID=1110643850140

After you buy, most carriers give you at least 14 days to check it out. Use this time to full advantage. Call everyone you know, from everywhere you go, for no reason at all. If the phone is not going to be satisfactory, return it in the grace period no matter how persuasive the salesman is (new tower is going up on your block next week!!) , no matter what "deals" you are offered.

You may try several phones/carriers before you are happy. Don't let this be a frustrating time, but a learning experience and a fun one. You may be able to help someone else with your knowledge!

Have fun with your new phone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

i would first check the personal coverage on T-Mobile.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If your calling alot to Europe you can still get AT&T Wireless phones & plans with international calling options, but have to go thru someone like Amazon.com or another online site.
    I believe T-Mobile also has a program for international calling, which if the coverage is good (it can be so-so in NYC depending on where you are) & with a multiband phone you could use it both here & in the UK.

Your other option since your getting Cable or DSL is a VoIP phone, you can use Vonage or AT&T call vantage and they have international plans for this as well & there are other companies out there with the VoIP phones & plans. There local & long distance for the US & Canada are inexpensive going for around 25-30 a month unlimited calling.

7. normanhathaway

Is this for a wired phone? Or for a cell phone? Is there such a thing as wireless VoIP?

N

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was giving the OP 2 different options he could choose from. As of now there are no wireless VoIP, but Sprint is suppose to be doing something with it.

9. normanhathaway

I've decided on T-Mobile.

Now which handset?

I want something tiny as I usually keep my phone in my front trouser pocket.

I'd get a Motorola Razr- but the Motorola interface drives me nuts.
    Any other suggestions?

10. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The smallest TMO phone I've even seen isn't listed on the website. I'm not sure where it came from.