Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Advice Please!! Verizon contract..etc etc

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Emmie, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Emmie

Emmie New Member

:confused: :help:
    Hi all - this is my first post - I'm looking for advice because Verizon is driving me crazy!! I hope this makes sense and I'll try to keep it short!!
    I've been on a plan with my sister for a little over 2 years - she has been the primary acct. holder while I paid her my share. I had been unable to make any changes to my acct. - (we were not aware of the "transfer of liability" option.)
    In Dec. I began experiencing more problems than usual - (don't ask) - and was told that I was eligible for new phone..the new every 2 thing. So I did that and contract for my phone is extended to Dec 2006.
    I call Cust. Svc. with some questions re phone - and ask about promos - I'm told about 1350 minutes for 79.99. I currently have 1200 for same price. She says they need my signature. In this conversation I find out about transfer - paperwork is sent to my sister.
    All along I'm told I don't have contract - she does.
    :confused: So my phone has 2 years - and she's month to month now - does this mean contract goes with phone and not service?
    After speaking to a couple of people and trying on line - I am still not able to get 1350 for 79.99 - still not sure why - I think they need signature although I thought you can change plan anytime.
    Anyway - after getting bill for $700 something dollars - I speak to a few people to question it. Got nowhere. Even tho I said I did not make some of the calls, etc - and I have a problem with the fact that I have been trying to get advertised promo since Jan. which would mean this bill would not be this large.
    I mentioned transfer of liability to one CSR - and she said if I faxed that right away she might be able to do something about the bill. Sending this would be signing new contract which meant I can pick my plan.
    There's more to the story but I'll spare you the details and just ask - does contract go with phone or service? and what about not being able to sign up for promo? and not having my concerns addressed?
    Should I do the transfer - don't really have much of a choice - do I?

2. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I can give you some insight on the plans.

1350 for $79.99 is not a family share plan
    1200 for $79.99 was the old family share which it seems you had.

With the new plans ther is a $99 family share plan that includes 2 phones and 1500 minutes or 79/2phones/1000 minutes

If you upgrade the secondary phone it now has a new contract. The primary does not. However when you upgrade the primary phone it changes the contract for all the phones.

3. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    When you transfer the secondary phone into a separate account, you will have to sign a new contract, but you should be able to choose your plan. Have you been trying to do all this over the phone? I would highly suggest visiting a VZW store (not an authrized retailer, either) and talking to someone there.

I assume you're trying to get the AC 1350 mins for $79.99 a month. There's no reason they shouldn't let you get that plan for your single phone.

4. Emmie

Emmie New Member

:headscrat
    Thanks to wgray and macsesso for your replies - but we don't have a family share plan, mac! I have America's choice 1200 anytime for 79.99 and she has America's choice 500 anytime for 49.99. You say upgrading the primary phone changes the plan for both - I assume it works the other way, also.
    She is now on month to month after the initial 2 yr. contract ended this Dec.

This is why I'm confused. How can I have a 2 yr contract if she doesn't?

I'm frustrated that they would not change the plan last month and then hit me with a $700 phone bill!! And now they say if I sign up - they'll see what they can do about taking something off. If I am not on a contract - I'd rather not sign up to one. But I did get a new phone under the new every 2-:dunno:

5. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    If you are not on a family plan, then changes with one phone have no impact on the second. You are two separate customers. You could just as well be speaking about your phone and your neighbor's. In that case, there is no "primary" or "secondary" phone.

If you took a new phone and received it at a discounted price under the new every two, then you got a new contract. So you are no longer month to month.

I do believe that Verizon lets you change contracts within the same set of plans without a new contract, but if you want any new promotion, then you are bound by a new contract. It's their way of locking you in.

Cingular lets you change in the first half of your contract without extending the contract (so first 6 mos of a 1 year, first year of a two year.) Personally, I like to stick with one year contracts.

My mother had a negative experience with Verizon and now our family is all consolidated on an ATT plan. But she is keeping the other phone until April so she does not have to pay a termination fee. Initially, Verizon was demanding a new contract in order to drop to the cheapest plan, but they did back off on that. They also did agree to let her try a new phone without a new contract since the phone was bad (they did not admit that for a year and a half, despite numerous complaints, but that is another story!)

I do agree that you should visit a Verizon Wireless corporate store, preferably with your bills in hand. And you may want to speak to a manager/supervisor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Emmie

Emmie New Member

Thanks for your input fb - but I see that I'm not the only one who is confused by Verizon's policies!
    We are not on a family plan - there are 2 different service profiles with different calling plan allowances and prices. But both phones are under her name and on one bill. I was not allowed to make any changes to the account (even to just my phone) - she had to do it. Then when I went to get a new phone - (of course they allowed me to pay) I paid with my credit card and was told I had a contract for 2 years. If that meant I had a contract - why is it still billed in her name? I later noticed that the receipt (that's pre - printed with the acct info so you can do the rebate) had her name on it!! But I just got the rebate!!
    I don't think even Verizon is knows whether or not I have a contract!

My mother had a negative experience with Verizon and now our family is all consolidated on an ATT plan. But she is keeping the other phone until April so she does not have to pay a termination fee. Initially, Verizon was demanding a new contract in order to drop to the cheapest plan, but they did back off on that. They also did agree to let her try a new phone without a new contract since the phone was bad (they did not admit that for a year and a half, despite numerous complaints, but that is another story!)

By the way - I'm having problems with my phone too - had them with the old phone too and it hasn't changed. And that's a long story, too! :rant:

7. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok, you're on separate plans. You confused us by saying that you and your sister were on a plan together. That would imply FamilyShare. But both plans come on the same bill? Do they have different account numbers then?

If your phone is in your sister's name, then she "owns" the number and is the only person that can make changes to the plan. The fact that you paid for the phone upgrade and got the rebate means nothing according to "ownership". My parents' and siblings' phones are all in my mom's name. My mom has to make changes to the calling plan or upgrade phones. If you would like to get a separate bill and have control of the phone number, you and your sister will both have to go to a VZW store to do the transfer.

When you upgraded phones, you got a new contract. Since your sister's phone has a separate plan (500 min AC), she didn't get a new contract. Simple as that. Contracts are for each service plan. If you sign a new contract (for whatever reason) on a FS plan, all the phones on that plan will be bound to that contract for service.

8. Emmie

Emmie New Member

fb - I am really appreciating your help!!
    Sorry about confusing you - you are right...we have separate plans, but they are on one bill with one account # that has both phone #'s under my sister's name.

So there is a 2 year contract for my phone - doesn't that mean I signed her up for a contract- because the whole thing - both phones, plans, etc. are under her name? how can this be?

(I hope I'm not being dense - I'm just trying to get things clear because I am going to transfer the account to me)

Thanks again..

9. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Because you have separate plans, you have separate contracts.

Hope you can get the other stuff worked out w/ VZW.

I would hate for you to have to switch to GSM. j/k

10. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network

11. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The problem with the retailers is finding a good one. There are several American Cellulars around here and I don't recommend them. When I went to them asking about transfering my line off my parents' FS and onto a new FS plan with another new line, they acted like they new what they were talking about and said they could help, but they didn't do anything but sign up my single new line. A few weeks later, I had to visit the VZW store w/ my mom to get thinks straightened out.

Basically, I don't have anything against getting a new line of service from a retailer. I might even upgrade w/ one sometime. But when you have problems with your account, visit a VZW store. That's what I've suggest in this thread.

12. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    So what you saying is your sister has two INDIVIDUAL plans under her name. Even though there is only one bill there are TWO phone numbers. Each one is a separate contract. If you change the plan on one number that does not affect the other. Before i switched to Family Share i had two INDIVIDUAL AC plans under my name. One for me and one for my wife. If i was making any changes to one number it did not affect the other.

13. Emmie

Emmie New Member

I'm so glad I found this site...things are becoming clearer thanks to all your replies!
    BUT - this is still not clear to me! :O
    How or why was I allowed to commit her to another 2 year contract without her permission (by doing the new every 2 deal)?

*It's not without her permission - obviously I am responsible anyway - but that's between her and I. Anyway - I signed the transfer of liability to make it official - but what annoys me now is that I have to sign up for 2 more years from now because I want to do 1350 for $79.99 instead of the 1200 for $79.99 I have now. So since it's a promo I have to do it that way.

And they are considering me a brand new client, but they aren't offering any extras or promos- which they usually do if you're a new client.

That commercial is so true (forgot who the carrier is - would be ironic if it was Verizon - but I don't think it is) - where they treat the new people better than their current customers. But I'm not even getting that courtesy now!!

14. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you want to get a promo plan, you'll have to extend your contract. You say they aren't offering you any deals or promos, but you just said you're getting a promo (1350 min for $79.99 a month). Get it straight. And the contract extension only counts towards your plan. You can still upgrade your phone 22 months from the last time. It's complicated stuff.

Glad we could help.

15. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    You did get a promotional plan. That's what the 1350 minutes for $79 plan is -- I assume it comes with unlimited IN and unlimited nights and weekends? That's a promotional plan. You already have a nice new phone so they aren't going to sell you a new phone.

So: you got a phone in December 2004 -- you will be eligible for New Every Two in October 2006. You signed your plan contract this month, you will be out of contract in March 2007. They are separate things.

Now, when you do NE2, you will have to re-sign a contract, and at that point your contract will be extended to October 2008. If you want to change plans, that would be the time to do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...