Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Advice needed on mobile internet device

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jessekb, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jessekb

jessekb New Member

I already posted this in the Wireless Data and Internet forum, but haven't received any responses. I will be using this device mainly in Boston and New York City, so I'm my question here.

I'm looking for some advice here. I run a website but do a lot of traveling and and would like to be able to update my site without needing to have my laptop with me at all times. So I'm looking for a wireless PDA or smartphone device that will allow me to access the internet (at broadband-level speeds) to update my site through the php forms we use. This means the device needs to have as full a browser as possible, like internet explorer or mozilla, so that it can access and submit information through these php forms. I would also like to use the device as my primary cell phone.

I currently have standard cellular service through Verizon, and in the best case scenario would like to stay with them to avoid the $150 early cancellation charge. As far as I can tell, however, Verizon only provides broadband access for the Audiovox XV6600 and therefore am not completely wedded to them -- especially if other services provide broadband access for more inexpensive devices.

Any suggestions?

2. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    When you say you need a full browser, a sub notebook (3-4lbs) comes to mind. I haven't heard of anyone updating a web site via PDA.

3. jessekb

jessekb New Member

well, it's not a full update. more like updating a blog through web-based php forms. I have heard of people doing that through devices like the sidkick, but i need something faster than that.

4. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

Both Sprint and Verizon are just beginning to roll out EV-DO service (broadband with 300-500kbps avg speeds) on their networks and EV-DO devices in your area as we speak. Since you do not like Verizon's current offering, the 6600, I suggest you wait until both of these companies have had a chance to roll out more of a variety of devices that you can choose from. Jumping too soon into a device that you will be basically stuck with for 1 1/2 (Sprint) to 2 years (Verizon) before you can upgrade, is a good reason to wait a few months. (As good a reason as I can think of ).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...