Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Advice needed on directional antenna.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mpphelan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mpphelan

mpphelan New Member

Hi, I live in the bottom of a canyon and just get a glimmer of a cell signal. With that in mind I'd like to get rid of my land line, my satellite internet service (all this would save about $150 per month) and go cellular for both phone and internet. So, firstly I'm trying to find a directional antenna to find out where the signal is coming from. Anybody got any advice on this?

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello and welcome to WA. I moved your post and changed the subject line to give it more exposure.

Good luck, hope someone replies soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    You would be best getting an omni directional antenna up as high as you can get . Directional antennas require line of sight to the tower , which it sounds like you don't have . There is a contest here on the site for one of our new wireless systems .
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/t...-solution-your-cell-reception.html#post561643
    You should enter . Maybe with that and your exterior antenna mounted good and high your problems might be solved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    ui

This isn't correct, directional antennas do not require line of sight to the tower, though having it will greatly improve their performance.

In fringe areas, the yagi may not pull in much more signal to the phone versus an omni but the user would still benefit greatly from a directional antenna as it should increase their signal to noise ratio and it will increase their output back to the tower.

5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    If you want to shoot me a PM with your carrier and more approximate location I can give you some better advice. I know the area well and worked designing one carrier's network there.