Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CENTRAL U.S. -- Advice for possible Sprint customer.

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by apalmer910, Jan 19, 2011.

1. apalmer910

apalmer910 New Member

Hey!
    I am a college student who is looking into entering the world of cell phone contracts. I currently have T-Mobile prepaid and I am using phone more and more, almost to the point where it is no longer cost effective. I currently looking into the Everything Data plan along with my dad's corporate discount (abt 23%) and I am not sure what kind of smartphone to get, but I want something that keep me organized with everything I am doing and will be reliable. I am also wondering what to ask about before I sign up for anything.

Now, is this the best option for my situation or would I be better off with another prepaid service like Virgin or Boost?

Thanks!

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    One of the things to consider is whether Virgin or Boost have the feature phones with the options you need. Because they are prepaid carriers, they're not going to get a top of the line phone like Sprint or Verizon would (even though both Virgin and Boost are Sprint-owned companies). Sprint won't cannibalize themselves that way.

The other thing is, you will be on contract with Sprint, plus only the $69.99 plan portion would be discounted, NOT the addition $10 fee Sprint has now tacked on to that plan.

Decide what features you really want and need. If you can be more specific, we could help steer you to the right direction.

Another caveat between Sprint and Virgin/Boost, with Sprint, you will get a big discount on the phone, the leverage being a 2 year contract, whereas you'll pay more for a phone on Boost/Virgin, but with no contract (though I believe Virgin does have a contract option for some phones. Not sure about Boost on that one).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. apalmer910

apalmer910 New Member

What I am looking for right now is a plan with about 300-500 minutes/month and a texting plan. A data plan would be amazing, but it's not a deal breaker. I mostly use email, Facebook, and Blackboard mobile since they are my primary communication methods and it would be handy to use them when I am away from my computer and WiFi to keep up to date on everything. I am willing to pay for a reasonable data plan, if it means I can get a reliable phone, but I could probably live without it. My big concern is coverage in my area and the value of the plan.

4. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well, it looks like Virgin Mobile might be for you. You can get unlimited data and texting, with 300 minutes for $25 (Cell Phone Plans - Pay As You Go and Prepaid | Virgin Mobile), or for $40 you get the same data and texting and 1200 minutes versus 300. For $60, you get everything unlimited. No contracts needed for these plans.

The Samsung Intercept looks to be the only Android phone they carry, and the cost is $250, which isn't bad for an Android device. By the way, Blackboard is apparently available for Android. I can't tell you if any of Virgin's cheaper feature phones do as much as the Intercept, but it's likely they don't, which means Blackboard won't be available.

Your only other option is Sprint's contract plans, which you can research via their site. The only difference is you MAY pay less for a phone but be stuck on contract until early 2013...

Since Virgin uses Sprint's network and you are in the Detroit metro area, your signal and data should be good, though it's hard to say how fast their data speeds are in your area.

I wouldn't recommend Boost. They are Sprint's Nextel Prepaid service. Don't go with iDEN. It's not worth the hassle for what you want to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. apalmer910

apalmer910 New Member

I don't mind if I have a contract if it means I get a better phone and better service. I did some research on Virgin and I am a little leery about Intercept: I've been reading reviews and people are having problems with the phone. I am also on the edge of Virgin's good service area and I want something that will have good reception. I don't know if this is justified, but I just don't want something that won't be able to keep up with current trends. Is this too much to ask?

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Then Sprint is perfect for you. They will have the plans and phones you need. With the discount you get via your dad, you should be fine.

Sprint service might be better but Virgin piggy-backs off of it, so it they're marginal then Sprint may be too. Other than that, your selection of carriers are limited. Sprint appears to be the better value for you.

T-Mobile on contract might be another choice, though you'll have to check into them yourself. They have a lot of good phones, though.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    And if you sign up before January 29, you won't get hit with the $10 smartphone fee on Sprint.

Definitely avoid the Samsung Intercept. The only Android phone that Sprint/Virgin has that is worse is the Sanyo Zio.