Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Adding FM to a smartphone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Jan 14, 2017.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi everyone. I've searched for "FM Receiver" but all I keep coming up with is things like this. I don't want to pick up broadcasts through my car radio, I want to add FM to my smartphone. The reason is that I attend lectures that are broadcast on weak (short-range) FM signal within an auditorium. I am losing my hearing but I find I hear better when wearing headphones or earbuds. What I want is something that will receive OTA FM signal on a tuner where I can select a channel like any other FM radio. I'm assuming it would plug into the headphone jack of the phone and then allow the headphones to be plugged into it. I can't find anything. Wondering if any of you know of a device?

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I am sure it's built into your phone, but probably isn't activated because carriers want you to use data. It always seems to be activated on unlocked/unbranded phones.

If you can't find an app to activate it, head over to XDA. I am sure someone over there will have a script to activate it

JFB likes this.
  3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Yeah, I remember reading that ATT had mandated that makers start activating it, but it never happened.

palandri likes this.
  4. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    JFB and palandri like this.
  5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @mframe: Thanks for the link. Your mention of the Note3 made me realize I needed to update my profile. I currently have the S7-Edge (which I hate).

6. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    My college advisor is losing his hearing - he has a set of hearing aids with Bluetooth in them. When he attends a lecture, he sits up front - and has "receiver" that he places next to the lecturer and it transmits right to his ears.
    I hadn't heard about the FM receiver in our phones... cool!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LewisH95

LewisH95 New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    JIO
    If your phone has a built-in FM radio tuner but didn't come with a stock app that lets you access it, then NextRadio is your best bet. The set-up process is simple—just install the app, then if your device is supported, you'll be able to tune in on live FM broadcasts.

--
    Lewis