Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

activation of cell....

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Rollindown95, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member

yea, so when and how is the newly constructed cellular tower actualy switched on so it can begin working and covering its area? is it done at the base by the technicians once all the assemply is complete, is it just a switch, that can be flipped on and or off? :confused:

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Good question to which I don't completely know the answer to. I think the technicians finish everything at the base, and then the site is turned on(usually at night) by computers at the switch or something.

3. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Actually the software that controls the cell site is loaded at the time it's ready to be tested. The site is first tested to make sure it can process calls, do E911 calls and then is "locked down" (call barred to the general public). Then after everything checks out it's turned on for the general public. A cell site can be remotely or at the site by a tech turned on or off by software:cool:

4. Rollindown95

i wonder if its like a big countdown or celebration once all the work is finally downe and it is activated...LOL, maybe someone goes to the local market and brings a cake and party hats...

5. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

No it's actually kind of boring. The engineer goes into the site's software and turns it on. That's it!;)

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: LG-CU500 Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

You mean like switching on a light?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    It's pretty boring. A couple of changes in the configuration and it's on the air. In some offices whoever turns it on may turn around tell the guy next to him but that's about it. :D With how many new cells we've been turning up recently I'd be a fat man if we had cake everytime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So does the testing always take place at night? A Verizon site was activated on top of the building I used to be at from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day until a few months ago. I never saw any testing whatsoever, until one morning I get there and have full service and can make calls using that cell.
    Also, how does the "lock down" work? Does that mean that my phone can see the cell, but can't use it and will use another cellsite for processing calls/data?

9. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The testing wouldn't be really visible to you. Typically the E911 is done by a tech sitting in a parking lot and the drive test is done in an hour or two by a drive tester. The lock down normally just means that call processing is inhibited.

10. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank you for answering my question so fast...I know I ask a lot. :D

11. Rollindown95

Ha, me and u both ANDY, but thats how we learn, anyways, what is all this non sense about activation and all happening at night, whats the big deal day or nite?

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I can answer that!!!! ;)

There is a maintenance window, that is usually in the middle of the night, when it would affect the least users. Sometimes cellsites will have to be taken off the air to do maintenance or whatever, and this is done during the nightly maintenance window whenever possible, because most people won't even notice. About the activation happening at night, no idea why they do it at night...maybe it could affect the system negatively or something and they just want to have time to fix it, I don't know. ;)